Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
adamselzer
adamselzer began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Copying annotations from kindle for mac to kindle 3?

In anticipation of getting a kindle, I loaded all of my Dickens books (mostly downloaded from this site) onto Kindle for Mac (which I love) and copied all the annotations from my hard copies. However, I can't seem to transfer the annotations made on the app over to the kindle. I've tried moving the .mbp files over manually, and opening the mbp file it creates, pasting the code from my own file, and saving, but it still comes up as "no notes or marks" on the device. I had sort of assumed you could sync the device to kindle for mac. Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks!
adamselzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
durand
durand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
It kinda sucks but you can only sync books bought/downloaded directly from amazon. Everything else must be synced manually. I think it should be possible to copy annotations to the kindle from your app. Try creating one annotation in the book you have on the kindle, then check the mbp file via usb. There should be an annotation in there, which you can probably copy over with your annotations. I'd guess that the id the kindle uses for files is different to the kindle for mac program. I'm not sure why though, it makes no sense.
durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
It seems to be a 1-way trip.

When I make annotations and highlights and transfer those Mobi files with their accompanying .mbp from either of my Kindle 2s (I've one on 2.3.3 firmware which really ought to get packed and shipped back before the holiday rush, which I'm replacing with the one on 2.5.6 firmware which Amazon sent me), the annotations and highlights work perfectly well on K4Mac 1.2.2.

But when I put those same books with annotations started on K4Mac on either of K2s, they're completely blank, don't remember my last page read, and there's a No Marks or Highlights message.

This seems like something Amazon might perhaps work on for compatibility's sake. It would be a nice added value for people who start with one of the K4Apps to be able to transfer their non-Amazon notes to a future purchased Kindle. But somehow, I don't see them doing it because they understandably want to sell their own books.

However, it would be very useful for people's personal documents. Perhaps someone will create some sort of converter from the K4Mac .mbp format to the style that actual Kindles use.

If it's any consolation, at least the .mbp style that K4Mac uses still puts your notes and highlights in plaintext when you open it up, unlike the newer Kindle style which annoyingly only puts a pointer to the location inside the Mobi file and can't be readily exported without dredging through My Clippings.

Anyway, welcome to MobileRead, adamselzer!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote