Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Odd <p></p> placement & keyboard shortcut error

(1) When I use the mouse in the editor to select the <p></p> tags from the toolbar above the current opened file of a book (any book), they're placed on either side of my cursor, which is what I want. However, when I use the Ctrl-7 keyboard shortcut, the opening tag is placed not at the cursor but way up at the end of the prior <body> tag with the closing tag just prior to the </body> tag below -- I couldn't figure out what happened at first, and it took me a while to locate them -- my cursor being on a blank line between existing paragraphs. I'd really prefer to use the keyboard method, but this really threw me. Is this difference intentional? (I'm not a coder; I'm just trying to fix books to be readable on my reader, so please be gentle.)

(2) When I try to change the Ctrl-7 keyboard shortcut for those tags (or any shortcut in the editor, for that matter), I get an error message, no matter which (unused) keystroke combo I use:

Quote:
calibre, version 2.12.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>KeyError</b>:u'set_to_default'

calibre 2.12 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.8
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Webscription && Fantastic Fiction && Manage Sony x50 Reader Book List && Open With && Manage Series && Reading List && Read MP3 AudioBook metadata && Quality Check && Search The Internet && Count Pages && User Category && Walk Search History && Quick Preferences && Search From Clipboard && Hyphenate This! && Annotations && View Manager && Modify ePub && FictionDB && Find Duplicates && Extract ISBN && Generate Cover && DOC Input && EpubMerge && EpubSplit && Resize Cover
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\preferences.py", line 683, in accept
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\keyboard.py", line 646, in commit
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\keyboard.py", line 274, in commit
KeyError: u'set_to_default'

Last edited by Under the Covers; 12-15-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The change paragraph to heading function (which is what I believe you are talking about) is used to change the surrounding parapraph to a heading or to a <p> from a <div> it is not meant to insert a <p></p>.

The shortcut for insert tag is

Ctrl+<

So you would need to type in

Ctrl+< -- p -- enter

to insert <p></p>
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, Kovid, for that explanation. As to the other, why can I not change any of the editor keyboard shortcuts without getting that error message?
Old 12-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Under the Covers View Post
(2) When I try to change the Ctrl-7 keyboard shortcut for those tags (or any shortcut in the editor, for that matter), I get an error message, no matter which (unused) keystroke combo I use:

Quote:
calibre, version 2.12.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>KeyError</b>:u'set_to_default'

calibre 2.12 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.8
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Webscription && Fantastic Fiction && Manage Sony x50 Reader Book List && Open With && Manage Series && Reading List && Read MP3 AudioBook metadata && Quality Check && Search The Internet && Count Pages && User Category && Walk Search History && Quick Preferences && Search From Clipboard && Hyphenate This! && Annotations && View Manager && Modify ePub && FictionDB && Find Duplicates && Extract ISBN && Generate Cover && DOC Input && EpubMerge && EpubSplit && Resize Cover
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\preferences.py", line 683, in accept
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\keyboard.py", line 646, in commit
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\keyboard.py", line 274, in commit
KeyError: u'set_to_default'
@cognoscenti - I'm surprised that editor sees all those PI's, would have thought it would only see Editor PI's eg - Diaps Editing Toolbag, also there's no ignore-plugins option in the edit-ebook command.

@Under the Covers - try installing calibre portable (with no optional PI's) and see if you can change the editors kb shortcuts, then install Diaps Toolbag and see what happens.

I dunno why, but I have an inkling that the problem maybe a caused by one or more of those GUI PI's.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-15-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: sanitation
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Under the Covers
Night Reader

Hmmm, dang ..... removing a number of add-ins and the bad stuff, too -- I've needed to do that for some time now -- I'd been thinking I needed to remove a number of the plug-ins; I'm certainly not using many of them anymore. Let me try that first -- incl. Diaps Toolbag -- before attempting a portable install (not sure I even have room on my flash drives).

Last edited by Under the Covers; 12-15-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under the Covers View Post
Let me try that first -- incl. Diaps Toolbag -- before attempting a portable install (not sure I even have room on my flash drives).
@Under the Covers - don't worry about a thumb drive, you can 'install' portable anywhere on a hard drive (eg C:\). Because it's self contained it will NOT interfere with your installed version, use the existing configuration (that's where the PIs are), or even see your libraries - its about 230MB.

And you can run the editor direct from C:\Calibre Portable\Calibre\ebook-edit.exe - double click or enter, or drop an epub on it - kaboom

To uninstall portable, just trash the C:\Calibre Portable\ folder

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-15-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Under the Covers
Night Reader

Quote:
@Under the Covers - don't worry about a thumb drive, you can 'install' portable anywhere on a hard drive (eg C:\). Because it's self contained it will NOT interfere with your installed version, use the existing configuration (that's where the PIs are), or even see your libraries - its about 230MB.

And you can run the editor direct from C:\Calibre Portable\Calibre\ebook-edit.exe - double click or enter, or drop an epub on it - kaboom

To uninstall portable, just trash the C:\Calibre Portable\ folder
Ah, thanks for the brief reminder tutorial. I'm working tonight, but I'll most definitely give it a try. I've wondered about setting it up before.

Also, uninstalling Diaps Toolbag seems to have done the trick re creating keyboard shortcuts. So now I can quickly switch text to all caps, etc. Yay! Thanks for your help; it is most appreciated, BR.

Last edited by Under the Covers; 12-15-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: forgot to include results of following Better Red's advice.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Under the Covers - as you probably know the problem wasn't in Diap's Toolbag it was in the calibre bore, should be rectified in calibre 2.13 - maybe you could reinstall and give it a go

BR
Old 12-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Under the Covers - as you probably know the problem wasn't in Diap's Toolbag it was in the calibre bore, should be rectified in calibre 2.13 - maybe you could reinstall and give it a go

BR
That's a bit harsh. I don't find calibre a bore at all.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Under the Covers
Night Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
BR
Thanks for the info, BR, and I have now reinstalled it.