Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #106
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you buy a Nook HD+ now, does it come with the updated firmware already installed?
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #107
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Probably not right now. most of the store stock should still be the older firmware.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #108
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
If you buy a Nook HD+ now, does it come with the updated firmware already installed?
Mine did not. But not big deal, you just download once connected to wifi.

Mine took 2 upgrades. 2nd one was the one that gave me Google Play, Chrome, etc.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #109
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
So they are definitely clearing old stock with this sale then?
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #110
kenschunk
kenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enough

Device: History:PRS-505, 700, Kindle-2. Current: Nook 3G, Nook Color
Nook HD/HD+ & MLB At Bat

The MLB At Bat app (and the Sirius XM app) is listed as not supported on both the Nook HD and HD+ devices, so no joy there. I suspect it's because they both want location information to verify their blackout restrictions.
kenschunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #111
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
So they are definitely clearing old stock with this sale then?
There is every indication that all of them date back to late 2012.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #112
lfeuln
lfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: iPhone, Retina iPad Mini, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenschunk View Post
The MLB At Bat app (and the Sirius XM app) is listed as not supported on both the Nook HD and HD+ devices, so no joy there. I suspect it's because they both want location information to verify their blackout restrictions.
Thanks - suspected that might be the case. Oh well, it'd be a bit of a pain to import to Canada now that I've moved anyway.
lfeuln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #113
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Do you folks have the Google Play Music app? I see it in settings listed amongst all the rest of the apps but there is no icon for it. I tried to download it but upon conclusion it just goes back to an install option again, not a choice to open it.

I searched back remembering I saw the icon when I installed Nova Launcher, so what is hung up with the Nook launch not showing it?

Last edited by robertc88; 05-07-2013 at 10:58 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #114
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Cross-posting my review from XDA:

I've been trying out the new stock after running CM10 on my HD+ for months (with brief forays into rooted stock for magazines), and it's generally acceptable. The 2.1 update is an improvement, but there are still things that bug me, particularly the dumbed-down Recent Apps and the inconsistency/lack of softkeys. Using the 'n' for every home-press is a step down in ergonomics and likely increases wear and tear. None of the incompatible apps so far are dealbreakers, though Fancy Widgets, OfficeSuite and Google Voice are disappointing.

I tried to like the stock home screen, but it was just too limited. Why does the OS support grouping apps into "shelves" if you can't link directly to those shelves from your home screen? Shelf shortcuts would still be a step down from the pop-up folder implementation of most post-ICS launchers, but they would be adequate. Placing widgets on the stock home screen is also finicky and frustrating, with unpredictable placement and no option to resize. Most touch elements of the stock UI and B&N apps are quite finicky--I don't know if they have smaller touch zones or what, but I find them much less consistent in touch response than my ADWEx Launcher or third party apps.

All that said, I think I can live with it for the improvements in stability and battery life vs. CM10/10.1, and access to the stock magazine reader without rebooting (the Nook for Android app doesn't compare). I haven't tried a lot of apps yet, so poor performance there may still drive me back to CyanogenMod. I may have to re-root for Button Savior, but right now it's not a huge deal.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #115
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have not used my n2a card since the software update. I am sticking with Nova Launcer and stay on that side instead of the Nook interface and that carousel. You cannot use that specific space for widgets and the like since it is reserved so to speak.

Some will not like Chrome, I am using Dolphin and Puffin. The latter is for Amazon Instant Videos only.

I guess n2a cards will lose some business and Google will gain some.

Last edited by robertc88; 05-07-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #116
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Do you folks have the Google Play Music app? I see it in settings listed amongst all the rest of the apps but there is no icon for it. I tried to download it but upon conclusion it just goes back to an install option again, not a choice to open it.

I searched back remembering I saw the icon when I installed Nova Launcher, so what is hung up with the Nook launch not showing it?
Play Music is working just fine for me, online and offline. Before you updated, where you running pure stock or rooted with the old Google Play hack? I wiped the device and started from scratch.

ETA: I'm finding the built in Recent Apps/Activity inaccurate along with being slow and ugly. Maybe it only shows items accessed via the stock launcher?

Last edited by taosaur; 05-07-2013 at 03:29 PM.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #117
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Unhappy Amazon prime??

"Some will not like Chrome, I am using Dolphin and Puffin. The latter is for Amazon Instant Videos only."

I tried using Dolphin and Puffin browsers each on the Amazon site. I have Amazon prime, but when I tried to watch a movie there, I was informed that my device does not support adobe flash. I am using my new nook HD+ and do have google play.. any advice on why I cannot access the amazon prime movies? My laptop has no problem.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #118
robertc88
Fanatic

Dolphin will not work with Amazon videos but plays everything else I personally tried.

I had to buy the paid version of Puffin, free one does not support Flash. A kick in the teeth for me using it for only one thing but I was always told to expect circumstances to arise with android. So many configurations out there that I do not blame some folks for using iOS.

Last edited by robertc88; 05-07-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #119
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Play Music is working just fine for me, online and offline. Before you updated, where you running pure stock or rooted with the old Google Play hack? I wiped the device and started from scratch.

ETA: I'm finding the built in Recent Apps/Activity inaccurate along with being slow and ugly. Maybe it only shows items accessed via the stock launcher?
I think I updated the app for Play Music after I installed the software update for Nook. I was using the n2a card before for access to gapps, I never rooted.

Folks on Nook boards say to deregister the nook and registering again gives the app for Play Store in the listing of all.

I plan to stay with Nova launcher and I put the icon on homepage for easy access. It was in the list of apps using Nova, not using Nook launcher though. I suggest the old music player for Nook is causing a conflict.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #120
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
What nags me about the stock software are the notifications. When I'm in the play store and download an app, I get the notification on the top right corner (downloading, installing, ...), so while it is there, I can't click any of the buttons that are on the top right corner - BN changed the default notification and it was not to improve it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote