Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2022, 03:17 PM   #106
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdothum View Post
This is what occurred for my Libra 2: Manually installing 4.32 when i checked the firmware version from the "device information" page did not appear to update the version number (whether from 4.30 or 4.31).

What i had to do in my case was manually (re-)install 4.31 THEN do a "sync" software update to get to 4.32 before being able to apply the 4.32 patches. Manually installing 4.32 is an incomplete(?) install that disables USB port connections (at least, on my Libra 2).

Have no idea what actually gets updated with the 4.32 kobo-update files but it fails to change the version number of the firmware at the time of the manual install when attempting to upgrade from an earlier release.

Interestingly, though, the 4.32 kobo-update zip appears to be usable for kobopatch.

Having jumped through these hoops.. not sure these past two releases really buy me anything -- and there appear to be more leftover artifacts (back arrow in particular) left on the text page. i am inclined to go back to 4.30
My Libra 2 had the correct version number after the manual update to 4.32 (from 4.30) and USB connection worked perfectly. Obviously something must have gone wrong in your case.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 03:29 PM   #107
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
My Libra 2 had the correct version number after the manual update to 4.32 (from 4.30) and USB connection worked perfectly. Obviously something must have gone wrong in your case.
Now I’m wondering if my Libra 2 just wanted to act up when it was reporting 4.31. Though it didn’t have the 4.32 features.

Oh and as Quoth has mentioned I’ve not experienced any real issues so far with the Sage and page turn buttons. It might be early yet, but between his report and my experience I’d think we’d have seen some hang.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2022, 03:44 PM   #108
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Well, I updated to 4.32 and sideloaded both Noto Sans and Serif CJK fonts but whenever I try to scroll down to them in either the main or supplemental font menus, it makes my Glo HD reboot. I guess they're too big?

Anyways, some observations with the supplemental fonts.

There is a limit of four supplemental fonts that you can select.

I also have this novel (Altina the Sword Princess from J-Novel Club) that uses some special unicode symbol as a section divider (it looks like a four-pointed star). It doesn't appear with Georgia, but it does appear with a more unicode aware font like Kurinto Text. Using Kurinto as the main font renders fine, but setting Georgia as the main font and Kurinto as the supplementary font does not; I still get the blank squares.

Then I tried DomesticExtremis' EPUB Feature Peeker. It doesn't seem to work on the Special Characters section, but stuff seems to happen in the Non-Latin Scripts sections.

From what I can tell in terms of difference, the Non-Latin Scripts sections specifies a language encoding for the text blocks (ex. <div xml:lang="ja" xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"> for Japanese) while the plain special characters do not.

So my question is: Is this how it's supposed to work? That supplemental fonts only work when a language encoding is specified (I guess that's what the new strickle binary is for)? Or am I doing things wrong? Is there any way to get special characters without a language encoding defined to display? Am I crazy?

You can test things yourself with the epub in the links.

Last edited by rtiangha; 04-16-2022 at 04:53 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 03:49 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You don't know what you are missing

Really, most of the home screen patches and stuff... whatever.

But kepub page layout really could use some polish. Why is hyphenation set so high? Why are ligatures disabled? Why is there so much padding at the top and bottom of the screen? Patches fix all of this.

And kepub is Kobo's preferred format after all, so I don't want to hear about 'just read ePub.'
The hyphenation dictionary is set to 5. That's why it's (IMHO) rubbish.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 04:24 PM   #110
sdothum
Enthusiast
sdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Haven't a clue. Patch procedure for 4.30 and 4.31 work as expected. Same procedure with 4.32 not.

Three attempts at manual install of 4.32 yielded exactly same result. Only by installing 4.31 and doing a sw update was i able to get 4.32 loaded.
sdothum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2022, 04:44 PM   #111
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I updated an Elipsa manually from 4.28.x to 4.32.x, no problem*.

I did have to re-run the one click script to re-enable the menu that loads KOReader, which I only use for PDFs that need cropped or brightened etc, I think that's normal? KOReader didn't need re-installed.

Sage still fine*.

(* Apart from the "we don't call it a bug" WiFi turning on bug if you enable BT.)

My only interest in Bluetooth would be if it worked for text in the Advanced Notebooks, which it doesn't. The Musicolet App on phone or tablet is fine for music or audiobooks (as it remember location) and works with screen off. Wired earphones are superior to BT buds anyway, longer phone life, better audio quality & volume and no recharging headphones.
You can't read a book and use the ereader for audio.
I found the audio features on the Kindle DXG and KK3 underwhelming too, and the PW3 (USB Audio) or PW4 (BT Audio) are more for accessibility than Text to Speech or music and horrible to use.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-16-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 04:56 PM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdothum View Post
Haven't a clue. Patch procedure for 4.30 and 4.31 work as expected. Same procedure with 4.32 not.

Three attempts at manual install of 4.32 yielded exactly same result. Only by installing 4.31 and doing a sw update was i able to get 4.32 loaded.
I went from 4.30 to 4.32 doing a manual install of 4.32 and then I reinstalled KFMon and then the patched 4.32. No problem at all on my Libra 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:23 PM   #113
Ansem_93
Zealot
Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Maybe is a noob question, but what are those patches that you all talk about?
Ansem_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:30 PM   #114
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346263

You will have to download and unzip the patch file, and then read the files contained within the src directory to find out what patches are available and what they do (there are far too many to list here).
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:33 PM   #115
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
All kinds of modifications. For example, one of the homescreen patches deletes recommendations from the homescreen. Some patches decrease top and bottom margins when header and footer are disabled; some offer more fine-tuned side margin sizes, font sizes and line spacing; some let you enable kerning and ligatures for kepubs or disable them; a patch makes kepub and epub font sizes the same (epubs have a larger font size by default); and so on.

The instructions are here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346263

You select the patches you want to install (descriptions are in the file) and change no to yes with the Notepad or its analog.
Old 04-16-2022, 06:42 PM   #116
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
So my question is: Is this how it's supposed to work?
I seem to remember reading either in the official release notes or @davidfor's recap that that this worked best (as in, that's what it was designed for) for actual mixed language content, *not* a single stray codepoint in a sea of otherwise covered codepoints .

So, my TL;DR: would be, yeah, I suppose it's the expected behavior.

EDIT: That was indeed spelled out in @davdfor's recap .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-16-2022 at 06:46 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 06:58 PM   #117
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post

Oh and as Quoth has mentioned I’ve not experienced any real issues so far with the Sage and page turn buttons. It might be early yet, but between his report and my experience I’d think we’d have seen some hang.
Thanks.

Unfortunately I updated my Sage tonight and encountered the button bug almost immediately after that, when I settled down to read.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:05 PM   #118
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Thanks.

Unfortunately I updated my Sage tonight and encountered the button bug almost immediately after that, when I settled down to read.
What is the button bug?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:24 PM   #119
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
What is the button bug?
Occasionally the buttons stop responding. Touching the screen makes them respond again, so it's not anything major, but still annoying.

The Libra 2 has no such bug.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-16-2022 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:25 PM   #120
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
What is the button bug?
When reading the page forward and backward buttons stop working, they’ll resume if you tap the screen.

I’ve now had some resistance to paging forward but I’ve still not had to tap the screen a second press of the button gets it going. I’m not entirely sure if it’s a software or hardware issue vs me not pressing optimally. I’ve been switching between the Sage and Libra 2 which don’t share the same sweet spots. I’ve also got a case on the Sage because I wanted to do a good comparison between the two. My worry is that the magnets in the case might be causing some wonky behavior. The case is the official one and the magnets are fairly strong.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release