Notices

Old 08-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #1
xiatian
Connoisseur
xiatian began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question images don't display in converted mobi

Hi,
When I convert an .epub file to a .mobi file, images won't display in my kindle (kpw3). But I'm sure it contains many images because when I open it in PC calibre, images can display. The .epub is also generated by calibre. You can test both the .epub and .mobi files in the attachments.

Not all of my other converted books have such problems. Just some of them, but I can't find out why. I'm so confused.

Anyone can help me? Please!
Attached Files
File Type: epub wsj.epub (13.57 MB, 148 views)
File Type: mobi wsj.mobi (12.37 MB, 145 views)
xiatian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
try converting to azw3 instead.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I took a quick look and it seems like this is a bug in the kindle MOBI renderer. its just not rendering those jpeg images. And I dont see anything special about them, but simply doing a jpeg to jpeg conversion of them causes them to work, so definitely a bug in the kindle renderer.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:07 PM   #4
xiatian
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
My kindle doesn't display azw3...
Old 08-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
xiatian
Connoisseur

Quote:
I took a quick look and it seems like this is a bug in the kindle MOBI renderer. its just not rendering those jpeg images. And I dont see anything special about them, but simply doing a jpeg to jpeg conversion of them causes them to work, so definitely a bug in the kindle renderer.
Just some normal images, can't see why kindle won't display them...
Advert
Old 08-13-2021, 12:14 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiatian View Post
Just some normal images, can't see why kindle won't display them...
Because it has a bug in its renderer.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #7
xiatian
Connoisseur

Quote:
Because it has a bug in its renderer.
Did you try converting it to azw3? I tried, and copied it into documents, but my kindle can't display it. Weird, too...
Old 08-13-2021, 12:39 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It displays fine as azw3 in kindle previewer. Its a whole different renderer.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:42 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Is it possible those jpegs are CMYK and not RGB? I've seen that issue with jpegs from Photoshop that were saved for printing not viewing. See sample information from Irfanview in the attached images.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rgb.png
Views:	159
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	188677   Click image for larger version

Name:	cmyk.png
Views:	141
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	188678  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No I already checked that and calibre autoconverts cmyk jpegs to rgb ones for epub output because ADE cnt handle cmyk jpegs.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:38 AM   #11
xiatian
Connoisseur

Quote:
I tried many times. If I use calibre to convert it to azw3 and copy it into kindle via USB. It won't appear in kindle.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:40 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

WHy is that surprising given you say your kindle doesnt support azw3?
Old 08-14-2021, 03:54 AM   #13
xiatian
Connoisseur

Quote:
WHy is that surprising given you say your kindle doesnt support azw3?
That's what confused me. Doesn't Kindle Paperwhite 3 support .azw3?
Old 08-14-2021, 04:14 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I dont recall, probably it does if it has up to date firmware. If all azw3 files sent to your kindle aren't opening, and it actually supports azw3, then you should read this: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...id-not-show-up
Old 08-14-2021, 05:04 AM   #15
xiatian
Connoisseur

Quote:
I dont recall, probably it does if it has up to date firmware. If all azw3 files sent to your kindle aren't opening, and it actually supports azw3, then you should read this: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...id-not-show-up
Found a solution to work around this.
I tried to convert it from .mobi to .azw3 (NOT from .epub to .azw3) and then it appeared in my kindle.

Tags
display images, ebook-convert, image