Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
shorttimer1
Enthusiast
shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB X3 Kindle Fire HD 32GB
Recommendations for a 10" - 11" Windows based tablet

Hello,

Am trying to help out a friend who is looking for about an 10-11" Windows based tablet. He does not want an Apple or any Android device. He won't be doing much reading with it, mostly something portable to get e-mail, Youtube, Facebook and watch movies from time to time. He might also put some business software on it to keep track of billing. Something probably like Office although the latter isn't required. He is just looking for something fairly decent. I know there is the MS Surface as well as one from Dell. Anybody have any recommendations as I am strictly a Kindle person

Thank you!
shorttimer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Wait a bit and try the new Surface with Win 8 Pro. (Supports programs running on PCs. Win 8 RT supports only apps.)

Also, take a look here:

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/...7F2087400.html

It's in German and shows only what is/will be available in Germany, but it's a start.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The surface Pro will be a very sweet TabletPC but a bit on the pricey side because it it a premium, Core5-based PC.
Other quality devices based on Intel Atom CPUs worth looking at are:
1- Dell Latitude 10 $699
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-10-tablet/fs
2- HP Envy2
http://www.cnet.com/laptops/hp-envy-...?autoplay=true
3- ASUS VivoTab Smart and others
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ndows_8_tablet

The VivoTab smart is essentially a Netbook made tablet and lists for around half of the Surface Pro. Lenovo has a couple of interesting options, too.

The beauty of Win8 Tabs is that with Surface providing a benchmark, the OEMs are *forced* to get creative.

Expect to see more interesting products, like this 12in Dell XPS 12:
http://www.neowin.net/news/review-de...otebook-tablet

Happy hunting!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I pre-ordered one of these, Dell advertised a release date of Oct 26, but it ain't true; mine is still in "preproduction" with an estimated delivery of 12/12/12. And they are $649 not $699, but that’s bare bones; then you need a keyboard ($79), mouse (whatever a BT mouse costs), and Wacom pen ($49). I also ordered the docking station for another $100.

Quote:
The beauty of Win8 Tabs is that with Surface providing a benchmark, the OEMs are *forced* to get creative.
Or better pricing, hence the Clovertrail chip instead of the Core i5. It should also affords better battery life, the Surface Pro threatens abysmal battery life which is why I went for Dell instead.

The Samsung Ative Smart PC is available now with an 11 inch screen but otherwise similar specs and price as the Dell. I think 11 inches is a bit on the large size which is why I opted for the Dell.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i was just reading the Engadget review of the Ativ Smart PC

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/s...pc-att-review/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
And they are $649 not $699, but that’s bare bones; then you need a keyboard ($79), mouse (whatever a BT mouse costs), and Wacom pen ($49).
I'm old-school in Tablets: mouse and keyboard I see as optional but the Wacom pen is mandatory (in my world).

That's why I put the Latitude first.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i was just reading the Engadget review of the Ativ Smart PC

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/s...pc-att-review/
Yeah, I just read that too, Engadget was somewhat less than impressed.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
I'm old-school in Tablets: mouse and keyboard I see as optional but the Wacom pen is mandatory (in my world).

That's why I put the Latitude first.
+1

But I also occasionally need a laptop replacement. I think I can do without the BT mouse, but since I already have one it's OBE; but there are times when an on-screen keyboard just don't get it.

Dell is pushing a Kensington BT keyboard/folio for $79, and since they had them in stock they've already shipped it. I paired it up with my 7" Samsung Tab, and I'm quite impress with it.

I'm also toying with the idea of keeping the docking station connected with HDMI to my big screen TV with a full sized wireless KB/mouse permanently connected. Then I can just slip the tablet in the dock, and wallah! Instant desktop in the living room, already mapped to my TB NAS.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
The Samsung Ativ 500 for surfing and Youtube, or the Microsoft Surface RT.

I'll probably be getting the Ativ 700 with Win 8 Pro, but that's overkill if all your friend wants to do is surf and email.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
shorttimer1
Enthusiast
shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB X3 Kindle Fire HD 32GB
Thanks for all this info as it is quite helpful. I will pass this on to him.

Thanks again!
shorttimer1 is offline   Reply With Quote