Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
If Calibre can't find the database...

I noticed that if calibre can't find the database (I had that USB drive turned off) it actually 'loses' the database from it's memory. That is, once the drive was turned back on, it didn't find the database again, but rather had a new default entry.

Would it make sense that in this type of situation a) calibre gave you a warning and b)gave you the choice of continuing with a new default database, or of exiting immediately (and not erasing the currently unavailable location)?

Or am I missing something/doing something wrong here?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can change the library location in the preferences. The reason it automatically changes location is that calibre must have *a* library to work, so if it can't find the old one, it creates a bew empty one in a default location
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Perhaps offer the following 3 options if a database can't be found:

1) shut down and change nothing (allow you to fix the problem in the future, reboot if necessary, etc)
2) rescan for the database (allowing you to turn that HD/network location on)
3) continue and create a new database in the default location (the current option)

It took me a minute to figure out what had happened when my 'event' happened, with a tiny bit of panic involved. Once the problem is determined, sure it's an easy fix, but I'm thinking it would be nice to avoid those moments completely in the future.

Not something that will stress me out now, but perhaps something to consider for the future...
Old 02-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
Perhaps offer the following 3 options if a database can't be found:

1) shut down and change nothing (allow you to fix the problem in the future, reboot if necessary, etc)
2) rescan for the database (allowing you to turn that HD/network location on)
3) continue and create a new database in the default location (the current option)

It took me a minute to figure out what had happened when my 'event' happened, with a tiny bit of panic involved. Once the problem is determined, sure it's an easy fix, but I'm thinking it would be nice to avoid those moments completely in the future.

Not something that will stress me out now, but perhaps something to consider for the future...
I realize that Calibre can not always know what kind of device the Library is stored upon (re: item 2).
Having a "What to do" option, sort of like a reverse of what Windows (gasp) auto-play does when a removable media is inserted. An "Always Ask" for the folk that run multiple libraries
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suppose that may be worth doing. Open a ticket please, so I dont forget.
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
guyanonymous
Guru

Kovid - I created a ticket, but don't see it showing up. Is that because it must be approved first? Or did I make a mistake in creating my ticket?

D
Old 02-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Your ticket is here

http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/5014
Old 02-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru

Thanks...I guess I was keying in something wrong on the ticket/bug search list.