Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Windows testing needed

Hi all,

Having gotten tired of reading all the device detection bug reports by people on whose machines WMI is broken, I decide to hold my breath and wade into the windows API in the hopes of finding a non WMI based way to detect devices.

I think I succeeded (at least, it works for me with all my devices on XP, Vista and 7). But it needs more testing, so please try it out and let me know...

http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/b...bre-0.6.33.msi

Thanks.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
bogfrog
bogfrog began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505's, Kindles far too many K1 K2's K3's K4's K5's KPW1/2/3 DXG KV
Thanks - works a treat with my PRS-505
bogfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Works with K2 and 505 on 32 bit Win7. I check try 64 bit if you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caliber kindle.PNG
Views:	332
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	43249   Click image for larger version

Name:	caliber 505.PNG
Views:	346
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	43250  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@daffy4u: Thanks, checking on 64it would be useful as this code includes some C code that may break on 64 bits.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@daffy4u: Thanks, checking on 64it would be useful as this code includes some C code that may break on 64 bits.
All is good with 64-bit Win7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre kindle 64.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	43251   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre 505 64.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	43252  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I'm running windows vista home premium, sp2. Works fine, detects my sony touch as sony touch/daily, and my sony prs-505 as sony pocket, but I don't think that would be a problem...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
plazec
plazec doesn't litterplazec doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3, HTC Desire
It's working with CybookGen3 (CYBGEN310B) on Windows 7 Utimate CZ 64bit
plazec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Great, so hopefully this will see and end to the WMI related errors. Thanks, everyone.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I am running Windows 7 64Bit and it works perfectly fine on my machine. I have an Elonex 511EB which is not supported however I chose the "Default Input" and it works fine.
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Platypux
Platypux began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-600
Quote:
Hi Kovid, and first of all thank you for the time you spend developing such a nice free program for us.

I have a PRS-600 and this version detects a PSR-700. As a result, the books won't transfer to the reader.
Using Win XP Pro sp3 32bits.

Thanks.
Platypux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The 600 and 700 are identical as far as transferring books are concerned and they share a common driver in calibre. What error do you get when transferring the books?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
Platypux

Quote:
The 600 and 700 are identical as far as transferring books are concerned and they share a common driver in calibre. What error do you get when transferring the books?
None: it seems like Cal is transferring (the Tasks button shows dicreases from the actual number of books to 0 at the end) but when I unplug the reader, there's nothing new. Checking the content with Windows Explorer also shows that the new ebooks haven't been transferred.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I don't see how that's possible. Some file must be getting transferred or an error would be raised. What format are these files in and what is their exact title and author in calibre.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
Platypux

Quote:
I don't see how that's possible. Some file must be getting transferred or an error would be raised. What format are these files in and what is their exact title and author in calibre.
They're free books (no DRM) in ePub format downloaded from Feedbooks, Gutenberg, Thebookdepository, etc.
New problem: Cal doesn't detect the SD card (8Gb Verbatim SDHC) although it's there, can be opened with Windows and shows in Reader Library too. And it's been formatted with the reader's formatting feature.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:39 AM   #15
Platypux

Hi again, I've tried v 0.6.34 and it's much better: books transfer OK, the SD card is detected and its icon shows near the Reader's.

There's just two remaining annoyances:

- on the SD card, the books are copied to the root directory instead of the \Sony Reader\books folder. It can become messy if the card is used on other devices like a camera or a camcorder for example, to store photos or videos.

- When manipulating more than 4-5 books, Calibre eats up tons of memory! I'm speaking 1.5Gb. It prevents using Calibre for batch conversions or transfers.

Last edited by Platypux; 01-17-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Wrong (sub)folder