Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 04:49 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
BeBook claims 30k sold e-reader units, adds Mobipocket

User BeBook, who we assume works for the company BeBook, has just announced a firmware upgrade for their e-book reader. The upgrade adds support for the MobiPocket format, including for purchased Mobipocket e-books that are protected with DRM.

They also announced that they've sold over 30k e-reader units so far, which would translate to revenues in excess of 10 Million Euros. Keep in mind that the BeBook made its debut in April this year, so that gives us what... less than six months?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Still not released on the BeBook homepage tho.... Hope there isn't any problem with the upgrade, as I have REALLY wanted the Mobi support for this device
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
The announcement is not on BeBook's website. I would be skeptical of user BeBook's original posting. Sounds like someone either releasing information before it's ready or someone not associated with the company.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
The announcement is not on BeBook's website. I would be skeptical of user BeBook's original posting. Sounds like someone either releasing information before it's ready or someone not associated with the company.
Sorry, but that's wrong. There are several references on mybebook.com to the imminent arrival of a Mobipocket update. In fact it's behind time since it was promised for August 2008. Best to google before expressing skepticism about someone's postings.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Endless Ideas (the company behind the BeBook OEM) has confirmed that from now on, all BeBooks leaving their distribution facilities do have Mobipocket support. The firmware will be released later for download (but no date mentioned).

Last edited by ebookreaders; 09-15-2008 at 02:34 PM.
ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 03:39 AM   #6
dutchy
dutchy began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Smile New BeBook

I ordered a BeBook yesterday and have received an email today advising that shipping will be delayed as the technical department is updating the BeBook with Mobipocket software. They expect it to be ready to ship within 2 weeks. So longer wait but will be happy to have the Mobipocket support.
dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:51 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy View Post
I ordered a BeBook yesterday and have received an email today advising that shipping will be delayed as the technical department is updating the BeBook with Mobipocket software. They expect it to be ready to ship within 2 weeks. So longer wait but will be happy to have the Mobipocket support.
2 weeks? Geez, do they need to hardwire the mobi-support or what? Most likely they jumped the gun with this and it wasnt ready like they claimed. Last minute bug anyone?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
2 weeks? Geez, do they need to hardwire the mobi-support or what? Most likely they jumped the gun with this and it wasnt ready like they claimed. Last minute bug anyone?
Well I think it was mentioned in the initial press release that they've secured quiet a few big orders, so they may have a lot of devices to reflash.

Also, if the devices are in a warehouse somewhere, they would have to take each one out of its physical packaging, and no matter how fast you do it, Its still going to take some time to physically flash the devices.

After all unless its in a factory assembly line, the process does take some time.

Another thing might be that after signing all the new large orders, they have a tight deadline, and they may be giving priority to those large customers over individual customers.

I know it sucks to be pushed to the bottom of the queue, but it does happen.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Well I think it was mentioned in the initial press release that they've secured quiet a few big orders, so they may have a lot of devices to reflash.

Also, if the devices are in a warehouse somewhere, they would have to take each one out of its physical packaging, and no matter how fast you do it, Its still going to take some time to physically flash the devices.

After all unless its in a factory assembly line, the process does take some time.

Another thing might be that after signing all the new large orders, they have a tight deadline, and they may be giving priority to those large customers over individual customers.

I know it sucks to be pushed to the bottom of the queue, but it does happen.
Well, I already have my BeBook, so I don't need to wait 2 weeks for the update to be posted on their website... I hope. I mean, how long should that take? alla of like 5 minutes, post a news item, and put up a download link... Come on already. Need my Mobi
Old 09-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Well, I already have my BeBook, so I don't need to wait 2 weeks for the update to be posted on their website... I hope. I mean, how long should that take? alla of like 5 minutes, post a news item, and put up a download link... Come on already. Need my Mobi
Well its probably a matter of priorities .

you've already bouht their product, they know that while you may complain a little you'll wait the couple of weeks till they get around to posting the firmware online.

Someone who's planning to buy may end up bypassing them altogether if the support isn't there.

Also, i'm no expert, but I figure that the firmware they'll have for the consumers will have to be packaged in a way that it is easy to implement and does not destroy the users on-board data. The new ones are blank, so they can just overwrite the ROM and get on with it.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
Jinke/Hanlin Mobipocket banner

Did anyone notice the recently added "Fully support Mobipocket format and DRM" banner from Jinke/Hanlin on MobileRead? I checked the Jinke Hanlin V3 update page, but no word on their site about Mobipocket either.
ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookreaders View Post
Did anyone notice the recently added "Fully support Mobipocket format and DRM" banner from Jinke/Hanlin on MobileRead? I checked the Jinke Hanlin V3 update page, but no word on their site about Mobipocket either.
It's been there for a couple of weeks, at least. That's what started all the speculation about its forthcoming release.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I think the problem is more trivial - BeBook hasn't got new firmware with Mobi support from Hanlin yet, so it is nothing to reflash (maybe Jinke missed some deadlines?)
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #14
Trono
Enthusiast
Trono began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
DRM on the V3 / BeBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookreaders View Post
About the possibility of buying and reading DRMed Mobipocket-books: Is a firmware upgrade sufficient for all units? Or might there be issues regarding hardware as well (thought I read something somewhere about needing sim-card...)
Trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:06 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A firmware update will do it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote