Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Problems creating Mobipocket eBooks from HTML

Hi

I like to format my eBooks in Microsoft Word 2003, then I save them in HTML and for years I have used to create my PRC files Mobipocket Publisher 3.03 (it’s from 2001/2002), and they have been perfect.

Some days ago I installed Mobipocket Reader 6.1 and Creator 4.2.
All the files I create from Word HTML’s have a different (2 times bigger) left margin, then the right one.
I have tested with HTML’s form different Words installed in different computers and I get always the same results.
I have tested the prc files in all my computers and different mobipocket readers (the 4.8 version I was using before and the new one) and its’ always the same.

If I create the same file, in Mobipocket Publisher 3.03, it’s perfect, equal margins!

As someone experienced this situation?

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

No one has experienced this problem yet?
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
No one has experienced this problem yet?
Could you post an example Word doc that's giving you the problem? I'd like to import it into Atlantis word processor and then export it from there to HTML and see how Mobi creator or Book Designer handle the issue. As well as import direct from the Word doc into BD and then create it.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru

Here it is: A Relíquia from Eça de Queirós.

I got it from Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/17515), edited it and I have just 2 chapters, so one can see how one can generate the TOC automatically from word’s styles.

I’m uploading the word file, the html crated from word and the bad prc created in Mobipocket Creator 3.2, the 3 files are in the zip file.

Thank you in advance,
Attached Files
File Type: zip Eca de Queiros - A Reliquia.zip (54.7 KB, 435 views)
Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #5
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Hm, the html has a lot of unnecessary style information. Just removing the stuff that is between "<title>A Reliquia</title>" and "</head>" gave me this more or less nicely formatted Mobipocket file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip A Reliquia.zip (33.5 KB, 443 views)
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru

Hi IceHand

First of all, thank you very much for your help with this situation and the time you have taken to test it, very kind of you to do it.

It’s exactly as you say. I have tested first with your version of the file and then reproduced it with my original html file cleaning the crap (you mention) word puts in it, and the final prcdoes not show the problem I have reported in my first post.

One question, did you make your mobi file importing the html into Mobopocket Reader 6.1? I say this because it as not TOC file created.
Anyway I have created my prc file in Mobipocket Creator 3.2, generated the TOC and it has no extra space in the left margin. Also it makes a page break before each chapter in Cybook’s reader, where the file I have made with the old Mobipocket Creator 3.03 does not - but it does in the pocketpc mobipocket reader.

One more question, how did you make a mobi file (filename.mobi)?
All my files are always prc files (filename.prc)… is it some parameter setting in the reader or the creator that I miss?

Microsoft word as another way to save html files called “Web Page, Filtered”, but even this one as the crap who conducts to the wrong margin prc file I reported - just for the people o would try to use Microsoft Word 2003 in a workflow to create Mobipocket files.

Once more, thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
Old 02-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
You're welcome.
To answer your questions: I used the command line tool Mobigen to create the mobi file (you can get it from Mobipockets Developer Center). The mobi file it creates should be the same as the one created with Mobipocket Creator -- you can rename filename.prc to filename.mobi and the other way around if you want. I don't know why Mobigen defaults to filename.mobi and Mobipocket Creator to filename.prc, but it doesn't matter anyway.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru

Ha!...

Thanks for the clarification.
I know the tool but have never used it, and yes, they are the same file (prc and mobi), one just as to rename it if needed.

Best regards,