Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Do you really need to write every day?

I found a great article with one hell of a question. Enjoy.

http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-...rite-every-day
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
There's some days where I just can't write, and there's nothing I can do about it. The best I can do on those days is sit back and read. Now, I did push myself a bit during NaNo, and it showed, but I was so far ahead of par that I should've taken those days off and let some of the other days' writing cover for it.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Who (at least among the males) has not seen the fight scene being set up with a statement like:

"Ok, this is the one rule."
"There are no rules."

Word count, by day, by week?
Minutes or hours per day or per week?
Sessions each day or each week?

These will work or not. They are only superficial schedules or quotas set up to prod us, IF we need prodding.

The two questions I find most important for me is "do I have the time to write," and then "do I write?"

If the answer to any of these questions is "no" then the reasons need to found and given serious scrutiny.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
Annie Seixas
Annie Seixas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Annie Seixas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Annie Seixas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Annie Seixas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Annie Seixas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Annie Seixas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Annie Seixas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Annie Seixas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Annie Seixas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Annie Seixas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Annie Seixas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I write every darn day unless I'm literally running around too much and don't have a single spare sec
Annie Seixas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess that if you want to avoid the-crappy-writing-effect you should develop that feeling when you now you have to write. In any other days I believe that reading is the best alternative. If put yourself to milestones like "words per day" in the end the quality of your writing will be pretty poor.
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
I never understood the "write every day" thing. It neglects criticism as an essential part of improving a writer.

A writer can write a thousand words a day their whole life and achieve nothing but several million words of mediocrity. If they're lucky.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I do find that there's a lot of benefit in 'keeping the engine warm', so to speak. It's easier to remember where the story was headed, plotwise, if I don't wait too long between writing sessions.

I tend to go through periods in which I write every day followed by periods in which I'm too busy with other things. Seems to work out ok.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I've seen that one before, it is a good idea to get into a routine, that way you're less likely to find an excuse not to bother. Me, I don't always get time though, and when I do I often can't think of anything to type. At those times you're better off reading through something you've already written.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
AlexGrama
Writer

I think that, besides of the most reasonable posts around here, I can say that writing every day has an advantage. To practice, you should plunge into a deep brainstorming and open up your text-editor or grab the nearest pen and paper and start writing completely but utterly personal and light-showing nonsense. Furthermore, in the end if you manage to extract the ideas and put them in order it is, as an overall, a good and rewarding practice.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd say No, you don't need to write every day, any more than you need to practice any art every day. You work on it when it's comfortable to do so, in order to devote your undivided attention and focus to it.

If you know of a section of a book (or any project) that will require your focus for an extended period of time (in order to not lose trains of thought from start to finish), you should plan to set aside that time, and attack the project then, when you know you can finish it. However, in many cases taking down notes will suffice to keep your ideas on track between sessions.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
I can't open the link for some reason, but I need to write everyday like I need to eat every day. If I don't express my self in some way shape of form I start to feel bad.
In my case writing is a pretty vague term, it might be some posts on a forum, work on my website, a story, a letter, or whatever, but I can't go very long without putting something on (virtual mostly) paper.
But I gather from the other reply's the article had a different defintion for the word "need".
William F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 AM   #12
AlexGrama
Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William F View Post
I can't open the link for some reason, but I need to write everyday like I need to eat every day. If I don't express my self in some way shape of form I start to feel bad.
In my case writing is a pretty vague term, it might be some posts on a forum, work on my website, a story, a letter, or whatever, but I can't go very long without putting something on (virtual mostly) paper.
But I gather from the other reply's the article had a different defintion for the word "need".
I guess you have enough time to spare, don't you?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I work 2 jobs, have a family, and am working on my second Masters degree... I WISH I could write every day... need? No... desire? YES.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
AlexGrama
Writer

Why do you need 2 Master degrees?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
Why do you need 2 Master degrees?

Why do I need any? But in this case, one was a stepping stone to the other.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote