Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Power Cable - Nook vs. Nook Color

So, earlier tonight, I saw the Nook power cable at Best Buy. The Best Buy folks advised me that they don't have any power cables specifically for the Nook Color, but that I can just purchase the Nook power cable and use it. I got it home, and just before plugging it in, I decided to Google it, and B&N seems pretty clear on the issue;

Nook power cable <not equal to> Nook Color power cable.

I'm not sure what's different about them, power brick perhaps? Anyways, be advised, the $15 Nook cable at Best Buy wasn't meant for Nook Color apparently.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Do you know the specs on the original nook charger? The new color charger is 5v and up to 1.8 amp.

My guess is the original charger is 5v and upto 1amp, but maybe only 500 or 750 manpower? Micro USB chargers of 5v and 500 mamp will charge thecolor nook, slowly (and maybe only with wifi off).
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
...The Best Buy folks advised me that they don't have any power cables specifically for the Nook Color, but that I can just purchase the Nook power cable and use it....
Why does this not surprise me?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
As a side question here, has anybody tried charging the Color with a USB+Data cable such as is used with portable HDDs and DVD burners?
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
The nookColor will only fast charge with its original cable. You can use a nook cable to charge it (it will not show as charging on the UI though), but it will charge, just slower.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
you can, but slowly... and with the screen off.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Does the NOOK original have the extra-long micro-USB male adapter that the NOOKcolor has? Oh, a thought just occurred to me. I wonder if the NC design engineer was compensating for something? Sorry, couldn't resist.

It does aggrevate me that B&N abandoned a short-lived tradition among electronics device manufacturers of using standardized cables and ports. I hope this doesn't start a bad trend back into the dark age of every manufacturer using a proprietary cable and port. COUGH:Apple:COUGH and PUKE.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-17-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're silly!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
As a side question here, has anybody tried charging the Color with a USB+Data cable such as is used with portable HDDs and DVD burners?
Just to be clear, the "yes" answer above was to this question (or at least applies).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Does the NOOK original have the extra-long micro-USB male adapter that the NOOKcolor has?
No, it does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It does aggrevate me that B&N abandoned a short-lived tradition among electronics device manufacturers of using standardized cables and ports.
It is standard, and you can use standard cables and ports with the Nook Color.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Jack, you're not far off. I ended up plugging the cable in anyways to try it out, but it wasn't indicating charging on the NC screen. As someone else mentioned, I would assume you'd be getting the trickle charge that you might get with a standard micro-USB cable, or a similar effect to plugging the NC cable into a computer's USB port.

When I held the micro-USB's up side by side, the NC was about 1/8" longer or so. Additionally, I would advise to be very careful choosing a cable from another vendor over the coming weeks, as they don't even know it yet based on a couple reviews for said NC charging cables on Amazon that also aren't working (even though they are advertised as NC cables specifically).

Any yeah, Scion, as it is with any Best Buy, you better know what you need to know before walking in there.

Disclaimer: If you are a Best Buy employee, or the mother of a Best Buy employee and reading this, there is no doubt in my mind that you are the exception to the rule.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
emt
Nameless Being

Ordinary Micro USB Cable Works...

You can check if it's charging by using Android System Info (from the Market - it's free and can be installed if rooted). It has a neat battery use screen (as well as many other info screens). It will show the battery percentage and charge state.

I've found than if WiFi is off (as when the NC sleeps) even a 500 ma power supply will fully charge the NC overnight. I use my Blackberry phone charger (with the cable that it came with) and that way I only have to carry one charger when traveling.

I even use it for charging while playing music/videos or reading and even though it doesn't increase charge it does slow down the rate of usage.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Disclaimer: If you are a Best Buy employee, or the mother of a Best Buy employee and reading this, there is no doubt in my mind that you are the exception to the rule.
Ditto on my Best Buy comments!

I'm glad to hear a regular micro-USB cable/charger trickle charges even though it doesn't indicate a charge on the NC screen. It is no big deal to me about their special cable since the NC comes with one. If we had to buy it extra, or if international owners have to buy it extra, then it would be an issue.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
I've found than if WiFi is off (as when the NC sleeps) even a 500 ma power supply will fully charge the NC overnight.
Yeah, it definitely seems to be conservative in the amount of power it will draw while on anything except the special cable (I haven't taken the effort actually measure it). If overnight charging is not acceptable, then you will need the included charger. I would rather have a single charger (like yourself), so my Nook Color charger was tossed into a forgotten box immediately after purchase.

Perhaps they'll improve the charging rate in next month's update. (One can hope...)

PS to Jack: I was uncourteously brief above simply for clarity. I'm glad you took the comment in stride.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
jbharman45
jbharman45 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505, 700, 900, Kindle 2/3, Nook, NookColor
The Key is the Cable

For what it is worth, I think that the key is the cable. It seems to have extra pins. While you can trickle charge with a standard microUSB cable, you can also use any 2.1 A charger with the NookColor cable and it works great. 2.1 A = iPad charger. There are a LOT of third-party chargers out there that are cheap and work great. I currently travel with my iPad, but if the rooted NookColor works, I may ditch Apple. I am an Android guy through and through. And I love reading my Kindle books on the NookColor when they have pretty pictures. Now if Zinio will just release an Android app!
jbharman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbharman45 View Post
...Now if Zinio will just release an Android app!
It was supposed to be available in April of this year.