Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #16
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Take a look at the italics. Without the embedded font, what you'll see is a simulated italic where the letters are just tilted.

OK thanks for clarifying that - simulated or not I could tell they were italics - they certainly look different to the non italics and for me that's all that matters.

I'm sorry you feel differently but I think that most of us here are predominantly interested in the story not what font it appears in and perhaps that is why you appear to be gaining so little support for your cause.

Last edited by HarleyB; 12-17-2010 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Still can't spell - or proof read.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #17
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
I'm sorry you don't care about a major bug.
The weird thing is, you're the only one claiming it as such. You realize neither the Kindle nor iPad support embedded fonts either, right?
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #18
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
For me it's a matter of principle. In theory, the publisher designs the book exactly the way they want it to look, and that's what I want to see. Now I realize that we're still probably years away from such an ideal world, and that in practice, probably fewer than 20% of eBooks have actually had that much thought put in by the publisher. So, if Kobo is doing this to try to clean up the messes of most publishers, then, "I get it". But I still don't like it. I don't think it's appropriate for the device to ignore/override any detail, no matter how seemingly inconsequential, that is in the original file. Of course it hardly changes the actual reading experience, but it just doesn't sit right with me.

A simple solution (or maybe it's not simple, I don't know what the code looks like) would be to offer a Font preference under Settings that allows a choice between "use book defaults" or "use Kobo's fonts".

And for those of you who do want a more tangible reason why this is a (still small) problem - I recently read Kurt Vonnegut's "Breakfast of Champions". In the book one of the characters is described as having committed suicide by "eating Drāno" (that's the letter 'a' with a macron). On my lovely Kobo, which I love in every other way, the character ate "Dr?no".
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #19
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Quote:
I'm sorry you don't care about a major bug.

If most people have to have it explained to them what your issue is I dont think you can reasonably refer to it as a 'major bug'.

I'm curious do you even have a Kobo? It's not listed in your signature?
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #20
stocksa
John
stocksa doesn't litterstocksa doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Smile

Now you know in english that - = ? What a great language we are evolving and we WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD and ? will mean - Any one have a problem with that?
LOL
stocksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #21
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djloewen View Post
For me it's a matter of principle. In theory, the publisher designs the book exactly the way they want it to look, and that's what I want to see. Now I realize that we're still probably years away from such an ideal world, and that in practice, probably fewer than 20% of eBooks have actually had that much thought put in by the publisher. So, if Kobo is doing this to try to clean up the messes of most publishers, then, "I get it". But I still don't like it. I don't think it's appropriate for the device to ignore/override any detail, no matter how seemingly inconsequential, that is in the original file. Of course it hardly changes the actual reading experience, but it just doesn't sit right with me.
While I understand your position, at some point, it becomes pedantic. ADE itself isn't fully compliant with embedded formatting - ask any Arabic user.

Additionally, the official EPUB specs make it crystal clear that support for embedded fonts is not a requirement.

So, While it's a feature you may wish for, by nobody's definition is it a "bug".
Old 12-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
The weird thing is, you're the only one claiming it as such. You realize neither the Kindle nor iPad support embedded fonts either, right?
Actually, the iPad does with the correct app. Using the txr or Bluefire app, you can use ePub with embedded fonts. The Kindle already has true styles without the need to embed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Actually, the iPad does with the correct app. Using the txr or Bluefire app, you can use ePub with embedded fonts. The Kindle already has true styles without the need to embed.
But why do you feel this is a bug? I don't remember seeing it being advertised as being a feature, and if it had been, then yes, for sure it would be a bug.

But otherwise, this sounds like it should be more of a wish list item.

cheers!
Steph S.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #24
3d0g
I make fjords.

Quote:
OK, but the native application, iBooks, does not. Does this mean if other apps are available that's an acceptable solution to you? The kobo is based on open source standards. Why don't you write a new renderer for it?

I don't own a Kindle so perhaps I'm confused but every spec and report I've seen clearly states the Kindle has built-in fonts, not media embedded. AZW can't do that. It does read the TOPAZ format which supports embedded fonts but all reports say the quality is horrible and it's highly unstable.

I continue to be confused why you harp on the little kobo when the two biggest eReaders in the industry don't do what you want either.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #25
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
So, While it's a feature you may wish for, by nobody's definition is it a "bug".
I agree that it shouldn't be referred to as a bug. I'd call it a feature request. And until it gets implemented, I'd call it an irk. I find it irksome .
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
OK, but the native application, iBooks, does not. Does this mean if other apps are available that's an acceptable solution to you? The kobo is based on open source standards. Why don't you write a new renderer for it?

I don't own a Kindle so perhaps I'm confused but every spec and report I've seen clearly states the Kindle has built-in fonts, not media embedded. AZW can't do that. It does read the TOPAZ format which supports embedded fonts but all reports say the quality is horrible and it's highly unstable.

I continue to be confused why you harp on the little kobo when the two biggest eReaders in the industry don't do what you want either.
iBooks isn't native. It's an add-on just like txtr or Bluefire. Native means it comes with iOS and iBooks does not come with iOS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #27
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I think that although it might not be 100% clear cut whether the embedded fonts issue on a body tag is a bug or a missing feature, one thing that is certain is that many people do not consider it a total show stopper. I hope Kobo do fix/implement this in the future but I didn't notice a huge problem when I was reading the Larsson books (this is not to say I don't care about typesetting, one reason I prefer using LaTeX over the more usual word processors like Word is because of the much nicer typesetting).

Also vis-a-vis the matter of principle, publishers designing things exactly as they want
- this will simply never happen with ePub, ePub was not designed for this. ePub was designed to reflow, reflow means typesetting needs to change. PDF was designed for creating documents which are exactly as designed, but as many-a-ereader-user knows, PDF are not ideal for ebooks since the size of the devices and preferred font-sizes require reflow.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #28
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I actually got curious about this as I thought about it a little more, and decided to check something. I'm sure what I've found is probably known to most seasoned vets here, but I'm still an ebook noob, so I was a little confused about something.

So, I downloaded the epub version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo from my kobo account, and de-drm'd it (shhh). I then opened it up in Sigil and started to poke around. In the fonts folder, the only font's embedded into the epub container were Arial variants.

looking at Styles CSS file, I noticed a discrepancy...all the arial fonts are defined, each under it's own @font-face, so that's good, but when you look at what fonts were actually supposed to be used in the books structure, it's mostly listing "Times New Roman", everything but quotes, which turns out to be the email exchanges in the books, and this was arial.

So, I grabbed the Times new roman fonts from windows and put them into the fonts folder of the container, then defined @font-face for it, pointing to that new file, and low and behold, the Kobo displayed them. Now, I can admit that I can't see huge differences between relatively similar fonts, so I imported another font and re-defined it to replace the Times New Roman...this is what I got.

Now, again, I'm a newb, but this seems to me that the kobo can display embedded fonts well enough, but it really depends on if the book is coded properly or has the fonts it's looking for included with it in the first place...or am I missing something obvious?
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #29
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Psyke, you've got it well enough. I think the only place a font selection will be ignored is in a body selector (perhaps html, as well). The Kobo gives the user the choice of serif or sans-serif at the body level, and the user interface gets complicated when you want to allow or dis-allow a publisher selected font as well. Down in the Workshop forums, there have been great discussions about how much control the user should have over the appearance of ebooks. And I've seen some people who believe the publisher is always right!

By the way, I wonder if the publisher actually obtained the rights to distribute those Ariel fonts... The Tex project does have substitutes, after all.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #30
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
A little experiment Psyke made just proved what was obvious from
the very start. No company would play with proprietary fonts and
let them be added, so someone might blame the company for break-
ing the licenses. I do understand kobo on this issue. If one wants
to have <insert_font_name>, he/she has to do it by the hand. Step
further, if the font is inserted in the container, it is a different mat-
ter. Just months ago that was not existing and some future firmwa-
re could take that into account.
I might be wrong on the topic. To me it is clear that manufacturer
hesitates to implement guest font definition. Never read their opi-
nion on this.