Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Why I love ebooks

The US election was Nov 6. By Nov. 9, David Frum (a conservative commentator who used to write speeches for one of the George Bushes, I forget which one) had self-published a small book called Why Romney Lost. There's no way traditional publishing could ever have that kind of turnaround.

I heard about it today from my husband while we were in the car, miles from the nearest book store. I turned on my k3 with 3g and in minutes had it downloaded to my kindle and was reading parts of it out loud while he drove. The conversation continued with no break.

God, I love living in the future.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Agreed. One of the best features is the free 3G wireless. It's amazing. I love it!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I guess that is one practical instance of the use of 3G to get an e-book right away but usually I'm not in such a hurry that I can't drive to a book store for a paper book or that I can't wait to be home to get it on my Wi Fi device. Besides I already got a lot of books to read before thinking of getting yet another one out there so I don't mind waiting to be within Wi Fi range to get some book I would decide to read right away.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I think the OP was excited that the book was available much quicker than if traditional publishing methods had been used. 3G delivery is just icing on the cake.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Although I don't have a 3G enabled kindle I agree totally. Its wonderful to be able to download a book instantly wherever you are. I usually have my kindle well stocked up with books but on the rare occasion I want something on the spur of the moment I just connect my kindle to my phones wifi hotspot and get it.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Me too. It's great isn't it!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I guess that is one practical instance of the use of 3G to get an e-book right away but usually I'm not in such a hurry that I can't drive to a book store for a paper book or that I can't wait to be home to get it on my Wi Fi device. Besides I already got a lot of books to read before thinking of getting yet another one out there so I don't mind waiting to be within Wi Fi range to get some book I would decide to read right away.

But the point was that it was a fast turn-around ebook. That doesn't happen with print -- at all -- period -- end of story.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
This could be the first ever book for hubby to read on my Kindle!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
The US election was Nov 6. By Nov. 9, David Frum (a conservative commentator who used to write speeches for one of the George Bushes, I forget which one) had self-published a small book called Why Romney Lost. There's no way traditional publishing could ever have that kind of turnaround.

I heard about it today from my husband while we were in the car, miles from the nearest book store. I turned on my k3 with 3g and in minutes had it downloaded to my kindle and was reading parts of it out loud while he drove. The conversation continued with no break.

Newspapers and periodicals get out analyses immediately in print. I expect more from a book. I read a book to get an in-depth understanding, and that is simply not possible without the passage of some time.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Newspapers and periodicals get out analyses immediately in print. I expect more from a book. I read a book to get an in-depth understanding, and that is simply not possible without the passage of some time.
This isn't really a "book". It's a long article formatted for the Kindle, published by Newsweek, and sold for $3.99.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I think the OP was excited that the book was available much quicker than if traditional publishing methods had been used. 3G delivery is just icing on the cake.
Exactly. The book is currently relevant. In the 2 months or more it would take traditional publishing to get such a book out (really, though, it was more a pamphlet - calibre says 42 pages), by that time the election would be long enough over that Frum's points would be lost.

The 3G delivery was just icing, yes... but all part of "I love living in the future"
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Are you absolutely sure of this? Can nobody be right the first time around?

Obviously hindsight has it's advantages, but if we wait for the final definitive analysis we may possibly be dead before it is available.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I frequently get intimidated by the sheer size of the book and with electronic books that's not really an issue.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #14
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Exactly. The book is currently relevant. In the 2 months or more it would take traditional publishing to get such a book out (really, though, it was more a pamphlet - calibre says 42 pages), by that time the election would be long enough over that Frum's points would be lost.
Print publications can be printed and put into distribution channels pretty quickly. It will never be as quick as digital distribution, yet newspapers and periodicals show that it can be done in a matter of hours if it is needed.

Digital simply makes it more desirable to produce these instant publications, since the cost is lower (thus the risk is lower).