Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #496
jswinden
Nameless Being

#1 was bad in any light. #2 and #3 were bad in darker rooms but okay in brightly lit rooms. Since I bought it for dark room reading I saw no need to keep it as I already had a Touch.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #497
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
For those of you who have problem PW's, it's only at night with the light on, right? I took replacement 3 out of the box again and had a perfectly enjoyable experience reading out in the sun. Now I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm in the middle of a bad relationship and can't break up.
That's been the case for me. Both my original and replacement are fine reading in the day in well lit rooms or outside. I'm keeping the replacement. I should add that I have read on my replacement for a few nights now and it's been fine for me. The slight pink hue is not enough to bother me, in fact, I seemed to barely notice it last night.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-13-2012 at 07:03 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #498
Mobert
Enthusiast
Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just came in from reading outside. It does not bother me at all outside. It looked like a beautiful, perfectly white screen. I didn't even notice any bottom checkering.
Mobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #499
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobert View Post
I just came in from reading outside. It does not bother me at all outside. It looked like a beautiful, perfectly white screen. I didn't even notice any bottom checkering.
Yep, that's my experience as well. In fact, after I read outside for awhile this morning, I decided 100% to keep the PW. It's excellent in direct sunlight, best I've experienced with any device.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #500
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I do most of my reading inside, seldomly during the day, mostly in the afternoon and evening in a rather dimly lit room (level 12-16) or in bed in the dark (level 2-4), so I need for it to look good with the light on.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #501
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
For those of you who have problem PW's, it's only at night with the light on, right? I took replacement 3 out of the box again and had a perfectly enjoyable experience reading out in the sun. Now I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm in the middle of a bad relationship and can't break up.
I see the color blobs in bright light, but it's less noticeable.

During the day, I prefer my k3 because among other things it has blacker text.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #502
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Well, it's with the light on. I can see mine in ambient light (i.e., in a sunlit room but not right by the window). It's just a lot worse in the dark.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #503
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Did you see this blog post on Good E-Reader?

Is This Discoloration on the Kindle Paperwhite’s Screen Normal?

Quote:
If you look closely at the picture above, you can see sort of a bluish-green shadow that starts below the second line and goes down through the second paragraph, with a slight yellowish tinge surrounding it that’s not as white as the lower half of the screen.

The discoloration is subtle, but it is noticeable while reading. See how much darker the background is behind the words in the fourth line “I found him smoothing” than it is behind “coat of the”. Then compare that with the lower half of the screen where the screen is at its whitest.

If you’re having a hard time seeing it in the picture above, here’s a customer picture uploaded at Amazon that shows a more severe case—the colors are not nearly that bright on my Paperwhite.

The picture I took above is a fairly accurate illustration of the slight color variances on my particular screen, although it’s a hard picture to take. As you can see it’s not a big deal. The lighting is still a lot more uniform than using a reading light. But seeing as how the discoloration is more noticeable on some screens than others, and the fact that some pictures online don’t show it at all, it brings up an interesting question: is a slight amount of discoloration normal on the Kindle Paperwhite’s screen?

How about you. Does your Kindle Paperwhite have any discoloration aside from the shadows at the bottom? I find it’s not very noticeable in bright light, more so in areas with lower ambient light.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #504
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for that link, xendula. Another interesting blog post, more about the light itself.

Returning Kindle Paperwhite
Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #505
mngharry
Enthusiast
mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PRS-505
It is worth playing the replacement game? I just received my third PW, and while it has the best screen so far, the light bleeds in very strongly from the side at the bottom. I'm wondering whether I should wait until Amazon sorts out the various issues with the screen before requesting a replacement again.
mngharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #506
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mngharry View Post
It is worth playing the replacement game? I just received my third PW, and while it has the best screen so far, the light bleeds in very strongly from the side at the bottom. I'm wondering whether I should wait until Amazon sorts out the various issues with the screen before requesting a replacement again.
In my personal opinion, probably not, especially if your problem is the color hue issue. As for the light bleed issue- I usually see it on the left side at the bottom on most of them, but some are better than others. My original PW had it quite bad, on my replacement it's barely noticeable.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #507
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I got my 2nd replacement today and I just don't know what to do anymore.

I am not even replacing for the color blotches, I been having other issues.
My first one had a very bright "hole" in the bottom left and even worst, the font was crooked. I mean I could see a black line on the screen right above the bezel, like they put the display in just a tad off center. So the line started thick on the left and then disappeared on the right. So text would be going down towards the right about 1 - 1.5 mm. For some reason that drove me nuts.

So first replacement has perfect alignment, no specks, but it has the bottom right light brighter than the rest. So there is like a headlight effect that is the size of a thumbprint. Its just this bright blob, pretty much at all light settings.

So today I get replacement #2. It has crooked line this time going the other way, now going up from left to right. Also the bezel is sticking up on the whole top of the unit. Meaning I can press down lightly and see the bezel going up and down on the outside edge and halfway towards the display. Like it wasn't glued on right. There are also a few tiny tiny dust specks, but those I could overlook.

I just don't know what to do now. I really don't. I am so stressed out from all this the calling, chat etc. They were very reluctant to even send me this replacement. I had to do chat and got nowhere and then I had to call again. I have a really bad problem with phones, phone phobia, so this is all really hard for me.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #508
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I got my 2nd replacement today and I just don't know what to do anymore.

I am not even replacing for the color blotches, I been having other issues.
My first one had a very bright "hole" in the bottom left and even worst, the font was crooked. I mean I could see a black line on the screen right above the bezel, like they put the display in just a tad off center. So the line started thick on the left and then disappeared on the right. So text would be going down towards the right about 1 - 1.5 mm. For some reason that drove me nuts.

So first replacement has perfect alignment, no specks, but it has the bottom right light brighter than the rest. So there is like a headlight effect that is the size of a thumbprint. Its just this bright blob, pretty much at all light settings.

So today I get replacement #2. It has crooked line this time going the other way, now going up from left to right. Also the bezel is sticking up on the whole top of the unit. Meaning I can press down lightly and see the bezel going up and down on the outside edge and halfway towards the display. Like it wasn't glued on right. There are also a few tiny tiny dust specks, but those I could overlook.

I just don't know what to do now. I really don't. I am so stressed out from all this the calling, chat etc. They were very reluctant to even send me this replacement. I had to do chat and got nowhere and then I had to call again. I have a really bad problem with phones, phone phobia, so this is all really hard for me.
Holy cow. I've never heard of the off-center display issues you're describing (if I'm even understanding you correctly). It sounds like quality control is getting worse, if anything.

Wish I had something useful to suggest, but I'm not sure there are many people here who, once started on the return journey, have ended up with a 'good' unit. You can probably do better than what you have so far, just a matter of how much patience you have. Do you have an alternate e-reader solution? I'm falling back to my Kindle Keyboard till the dust settles.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #509
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

I'm really sorry, Atunah. I feel for you. Neither of those PW's sound acceptable. I noticed a very very tiny black speck on the bottom of my replacement PW tonight for the first time. Sigh. I swear the QC on these is just abysmal. Maybe the best thing for you to do is just send both of them back and see what the next version of the PW brings?

I imagine it's all the more stressful for you dealing with a phone phobia. If you'd really like to try again, could you possibly have someone make the phone call for you?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #510
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If you really get a bad PW or the replacements are also bad, it seems the best answer is return it for a refund.

Maybe by January, 2013, all the problems will be resolved.

I had heard that Foxconn in China had all their QC workers walk out. I have a hunch that somehow this may be connected to the PW problems.

My Paperwhite seems great to me but it seems like lots of others are really getting bad units now.

I just hope my 32 Gb Fire HD comes in reasonable shape. If not, I won't request a replacement. I will just send that one back for a refund.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote