Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #16
hoodaman
the new guy
hoodaman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
yeah, I've already found out that there's no getting around a few useless features. But I don't want a credit card...I don't know. I'll have to think on it.
hoodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #17
bshort
Enthusiast
bshort began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 700p
Accepting a new credit card that has no annual fee and that you can cancel at any time should be a no-brainer.

I'm not sure what your hangup is, but if that offer doesn't fit your needs, then you probably need to wait until your ideal device is built. No device currently on the market fits your requirements.
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #18
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I use a Sony reader but anytime I go near a Tablet I still get an itch. Maybe that could tickle your fancy?!?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Even in the Washington, DC area, I can ID with hoodaman. With the closing of the local CompUSAs, it's hard to find computers, laptops, PDAs, etc, that one can see, touch, and play with, to figure out BY HAND if it really works for you. Many other stores will carry just a few items or labels, boxed items only, or their devices can be seen but not tried (dead battery or locked into some useless ad loop), and stores other than computer stores generally don't have personnel that can tell you anything about computer equipment.

I've been thinking about checking out the ASUS UMPC, for instance, but in every Circuit City or Best Buy I've been in, I've asked, and they've all replied with "What's a UMPC?" Even after I've told them: "Nope. Never seen one. Got no idea, bud."

As I have no intention of making such a major purchase without physically getting my hands on one, going that extra mile is getting harder and harder as the brick and mortar stores close.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #20
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
RE: 3rd Gen Cybook and iRex Iliad

Hoodaman,

The latest Cybook *will* be available in the next few months. I should know as I am a corporate officer of NAEB, which is working with Bookeen to market the device here. ( http://www.naebllc.com/ ) It won't meet *all* the criteria of your 'perfect' device, but at least it will meet many of them and be down in the range of what you'd like to pay.

On the one hand, I understand your desire to not get Yet Another Stupid Credit Card. On the other hand, getting the Sony VISA card was, for my mother, a relatively painless process and she's eagerly awaiting her new Sony reader. Yes, she still wants one of the Bookeen devices but she's in a bit of a pickle having broken her latest PDA and needed a replacement soonest. (She's told me that she's going to give her Sony to a friend's child when her Bookeen Cybook arrives. Love that 'give it forward' philosophy.)

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodaman View Post
well now...the sony dealer search comes up with a compusa that's in Hoover but the CompUSA site shows no such store in that location.

Anyway. I did some comparing of what I want to the matrix and the two that I'm sold on for features are the new 3rd gen cybook and the extremely overpriced iRex.

I'm definitely going to be calling that hoover number tomorrow to see if their doors are still open and if so can I play with an E-Ink device just to see. Hoover's about an hour away from me so it wouldn't be too too far to drive...

Thanks NatCh,
Dave
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #21
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

I've had confirmation the Cybook will be available in September.
And I have an appointment with Bookeen during august to see
the Cybook because I'm writting an article for my university (for once
it is an advantage to live in France ).
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #22
hoodaman
the new guy

well I've applied for the sony card so I can get SOMETHING on the cheap until the cybook comes out. I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to not get one of those...I applied for the card online. How long does it usually take to get word from them?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-22-2007, 12:18 AM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It seems to depend somewhat on whether you bug them or not.

Check out these threads for some more info:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11941
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11946
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:24 AM   #24
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Hunh? Mom applied on Sunday, got her card on Wednesday. Purchased her Sony reader that same day. Should be here on Monday. (Yeah. I *know*. I work for NAEB so my mother *should* wait for her Bookeen Cybook, but she's already decided that when her Cybook arrives, she's giving the Sony away to a 'special' family friend. It's a wash.)

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
It seems to depend somewhat on whether you bug them or not.

Check out these threads for some more info:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11941
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11946
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here's the deal. There is NO perfect reading device just yet. Might never be. That said, from what I've been reading, the Sony will do you fine. And the Cybook should as well. From what I am reading about the Cybook, if you want it to be better then the Sony for your comics, then you should wait until the version with the 16-gray shade screen/controller is released. What they are releasing to start with is the say 4-gray shade the Sony already has. That's why if I wanted a Cybook, I would wait. Other then the vizplex screen, the Cybook really isn't much better hardwarewize then the Sony until they come out with the better screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #26
hoodaman
the new guy

well I can wait for the superultracoolnewandimprovedwithextraaddedbonusfea tures cybook if you think it'll be better for american comics. I just hope that the whole sony card thing works out because if not I'm back where I started. I called chase up and they pretty much said don't call us, we'll call you.

I think this thread has gotten off topic. I'll continue posting on this sony card situation in a more suitable thread.

Thanks for all your help guys,
Dave
Old 07-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodaman View Post
well I can wait for the superultracoolnewandimprovedwithextraaddedbonusfea tures cybook if you think it'll be better for american comics. I just hope that the whole sony card thing works out because if not I'm back where I started. I called chase up and they pretty much said don't call us, we'll call you.

I think this thread has gotten off topic. I'll continue posting on this sony card situation in a more suitable thread.

Thanks for all your help guys,
Dave
I don't think the Cybook will be that much better for comics YET. Wait until they have the version with the controller able to support 16 shades and then yes it will be better for photos/comics.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #28
hoodaman
the new guy

and I'm guessing that the one that's coming out in the fall is not going to be said device with 16 shade support. If it is then that's awesome. If not I can still read them on the computer, it's just not the ideal way to read. I may end up not using a portable device at all for comics.

I've been thinking about loading up CDisplay on my HTPC in the living room and reading them 2-page style on my widescreen 46" HDTV/monitor from the couch. It'd still probably hard to read. I'll just have to try it and see.

Books may be nice on that screen too. It's LCD but it's ten feet away...wow. that solution is drifting away from the purpose of the site, almost.

Later,
Dave
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The Cybook coming out in September will be the one with 4 shades. It'll be sometime after that when the controller it readey that you'll see the one with 16 shades.