Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
frui
Connoisseur
frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle dx
My Kindle DX wood case has arrived

I decided that a leather jacket for kindle dx would be a bad idea. It's already too big and too heavy. Besides, DX is beautiful enough to make any covering ugly and redundant. Most importantly, no leather case can provide enough protection for the extremely vulnerable eink screens. My Hanlin V3 was cracked with its leather case on.

So I was considering a wood case for preserving and carrying my DX. I designed one and found a craftman to make it from Taobao, the Chinese Ebay. It costs 280 rmb, which is roughly 35 usd. The interior is 270 X 185 X 15mm,and outer dimmension is 305X220X40 mm.

Now my wonderful Kindle DX exprience is even more enhanced............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	33643   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	33644   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	33645   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	33646   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	33647  
frui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Wow!

rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Looks like an upscale humidor scaled to fit the DX - classy!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
bobbarkerissatan
bobbarkerissatan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobbarkerissatan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobbarkerissatan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs500
Not sure how to go about it, but I'm sure that craftman could get some more business if members of this forum had a way to contact him/her.
bobbarkerissatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Very nice case, kind of makes the DX look too plasticky.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
frui
Connoisseur
frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.

The case in need of a case:

I was travelling to US by plane. I brought with me a Hanlin V3, which caught quite a lot eyeballs among my companions. After an hour's reading I felt a bit sleepy, and I tucked the V3 into the magazine bag behind the chair in front of me. I woke up, retrieved the V3, and found it cracked. I must have attacked it with my knees in my dream. The V3 is protected by a leather jacket which has iron plate in it! Now my wonderful journey was quite ruined by this incident in the very beginning. The repairment of the screen costed me 3 months and 1200 rmb, which is over half the price of a new machine. Do I have a trauma of the soft, tender, and delicate e-ink screen?

There is an old Chinese parable about a man who bought a jewellery with a beautiful box. He liked the box so much that he gave the jewellery back to the seller. I quite like this guy, but I will keep my kindle.
frui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #7
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Very Nice....

Sad to hear 'bout your V3 (Especially as I got one for the exact purpose of using it when travelling)....But the DX is way more of an investment.......
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
38736 began at the beginning.

could you share which shop in taobao you go? I would like to get one for myself.
38736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:49 AM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Beautiful and classy, I am very jealous! Does the case have some sort of clasp to keep it closed? Do you find that you can carry it in a bag without the wooden case flapping open?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:40 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Isn't a wooden box a heck of a lot heavier than a leather case?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #11
Keithd
Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by frui View Post
Most importantly, no leather case can provide enough protection for the extremely vulnerable eink screens.
I know first hand about that one...

The box looks nice, wish there was a way to order.
Keithd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
That is nothing but class! Excellent!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Very nice! In any case, it looks heavy enough to kill those who don't like it.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #14
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
that is one sweet case
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:18 AM   #15
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
frui, that's beautiful! And for only 35 bucks, that's about what a softer case would cost.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote