Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Scratch/Crack

Sadly either a scratch or a crack has appeared on my Cybook screen.

It's very small, and can only be seen if I angle it with a light showing on it. It's perhaps half an inch in length. The screen surrounding it is not higher/lower which leads me to believe it's a scratch rather than a crack. In addition it creates no shadow, which again makes me think scratch not crack.

It has no effect on the use of the device.

However, I'm a little worried that it'll spread, so I'm looking for advice on what to do about it.

I'd like to sand it down, but I don't know how deep it goes (if I was forced to guess I'd say it was surface only), and I'm not sure if sanding it even with very fine sandpaper would remove the surface and make the screen more reflective.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Well whatever you decide I'd practice on a separate piece of glass first. Then see how you get on with either your sanding/rubbing with a mirror making paste (see astronomy mirror making) or even try the windscreen crack fixing kits.

Or either ignore it or send it back to bookeen
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Naughty thread title.

About the scratch, if it's really a scratch, it won't spread. If it's a crack, I guess it would need more than simple utilization to make it spread.

Use a cover. Maybe the scratch's origin might be keys, loose change or something that was in contact with the screen when carrying it around?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it's a scratch on the outer plastic screen, it's completely harmless and certainly isn't going to "spread".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:30 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Well whatever you decide I'd practice on a separate piece of glass first. Then see how you get on with either your sanding/rubbing with a mirror making paste (see astronomy mirror making) or even try the windscreen crack fixing kits.

Or either ignore it or send it back to bookeen
Remember that the outer screen is plastic, not glass. I'm not at all sure that it can be "sanded down" without "clouding" the plastic.
Advert
Old 11-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
leave it - in time you'll probably forget it's there.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I will leave it. Probably won't forget it's there though, but maybe it'll annoy me less. I'm now convinced it's a scratch not a crack, so all I'd achieve was a new reflective surface and a slight indent by the time I sanded it all away. It'd go cloudy until I used a finer grade of sandpaper, and by that time it'd have a mirror finish - which means reflection.

I'm guessing based on the way the price is dropping for these devices that there's a fair chance there will be something miles better out in year or two, so I'll end up replacing it then anyway.

I suspect the cause is that I fold the front cover right back and clip the light on, which means when I put the book down I'm too lazy to unclip the light, close the cover, and reattach the light.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:57 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A metal light clamp in direct contact with the screen could certainly scratch it, yes!
Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 AM   #9
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
leave it - in time you'll probably forget it's there.
I always find the opposite. The longer it's there, the more it gets on my nerves. But as the OP says, prices may well crash as readers get more popular and I wouldn't be surprised if he can replace it more cheaply within a year or so.

Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:47 AM   #10
Halk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A metal light clamp in direct contact with the screen could certainly scratch it, yes!
Nah, it wasn't the clamp from the light. It's one of those bug lights, so it's got a padded clamp which goes nowhere near the screen.

It's just I've been leaving the cybook with the cover open, and something has scratched it at some point.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:52 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK, I was thinking of the clamps you get for music stands (which is what most of the "book lights" actually started life as!); some of those have pretty "ferocious" clamps on them.

The screen's pretty tough plastic; must have been something quite sharp to scratch it. These things do happen though, unfortunately. I got a nasty scratch on my phone's screen, and I haven't a clue how it happened, since it always stays in its case.