Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-20-2014, 03:34 AM   #2251
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirbg View Post
Guys, after a month of using my last KPW2 I can't get used with this 0.3mm slanted screen... It sounds funny (i mean 0.3mm), but it is very annoying...
On my previous units, there was even more gap of 0.5 to 1mm!!
At first I thought that 0.3mm is not so big deal but now with more and more reading I find it very distrustful..
Are yours perfectly aligned??
Mine is perfectly aligned, I checked it with the page of the user manual that shows the tap zones. It has a shadow at the bottom of the page, which I still notice, but it doesn't bother me anymore. I can understand how a slanted screen can bother you. Can you still return it?
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:51 AM   #2252
mirbg
Enthusiast
mirbg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Paperwhite Second Gen: First Impressions

I can't anymore, but in anyway only 1 out of 7 units was perfectly aligned, but with terrible yellow tint and awful clouding...
I can't see a point of returning it, I simply have to get use I suppose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Mine is perfectly aligned, I checked it with the page of the user manual that shows the tap zones.

Tap zones page is not a proper corrective, there mine seems perfectly aligned too.
0,3mm difference can't be detected on that page...

Here is a photo on that page:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	124388  

Last edited by mirbg; 06-20-2014 at 11:39 AM.
mirbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #2253
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have to zoom into the picture, so the lines are closer to the edge.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #2254
mirbg
Enthusiast

How to do this?
Old 06-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #2255
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

Touch and hold, there'll be a magnifying glass.
Advert
Old 06-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #2256
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirbg View Post
Guys, after a month of using my last KPW2 I can't get used with this 0.3mm slanted screen... It sounds funny (i mean 0.3mm), but it is very annoying...
On my previous units, there was even more gap of 0.5 to 1mm!!
At first I thought that 0.3mm is not so big deal but now with more and more reading I find it very distrustful..
Are yours perfectly aligned??

Here is what I am talking about:

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong in this picture. Is the text going very very slightly downhill? I am not sure.

I looked at my PW2 and put a square against it to see if the text goes up or downhill and I don't notice that it does. But if it's really minor maybe I wouldn't.

Is it really that noticeable? I can't imagine being distracted by something so minor, if that's it. And you can see by my username I'm not an Amazon fangirl or anything - I'm not just dismissing this because I don't like seeing people say negative things about a Kindle. I'm just oblivious to how this is a problem. If I'm right about what the problem is.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #2257
mirbg
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Touch and hold, there'll be a magnifying glass.
Thanks, I did it, still no good example- mine looks aligned on that shot too, but it is really distracting while reading, may be my eyes are just more sensitive to such a things, I don't know...but I will try to ignore it until PW3 comes.

p.s. may be you could see the slight 0,3mm difference when you look at the bottom line of the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	124411  

Last edited by mirbg; 06-20-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #2258
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

Maybe you are reading the wrong books and they're not interesting enough to keep you focused
Old 06-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #2259
mirbg
Enthusiast

😄 everything is possible))
Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #2260
LucCas
LucCas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Disappointed

I'm Brazilian and live in Brazil. I bought my KindlePapewhite 2nd Generation. My big disappointment with this Kindle is its inability to accept custom fonts. This , for me, was a VERY BIG, IMMENSE DISAPPOINTMENT and I'm tired of trying to hack this and that to obtain them. I bought now and I am immediately selling it to buy my old and lost Kobo Glo.
Because I am not an American, Amazon will not pay attention to a person like me. Now I know why the US is getting poorer day after day and the Chinese have beaten them. Because American companies don't listen to custumers' needs. For me, comfort to read is what matters. Even with physical books it happens the same. I don't read certain books because their typography is really hard to the eyes. We can customize computers, why not Kindle? I used to have Kindle Touch and I had custom fonts in it. While I'm writing this post, I'm simultaneously ordering my new Kobo. Period. Good-bye Amazon.
LucCas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #2261
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Oh dear, I bet Amazon are devastated. Because they were marketing the Kindle as a customizable device, weren't they?

Perhaps you would be interested in checking the MobileRead thread for font hacking on the Kindle Touch/PW?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219405

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-05-2014 at 04:04 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #2262
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucCas View Post
I'm Brazilian and live in Brazil. I bought my KindlePapewhite 2nd Generation. My big disappointment with this Kindle is its inability to accept custom fonts. This , for me, was a VERY BIG, IMMENSE DISAPPOINTMENT and I'm tired of trying to hack this and that to obtain them. I bought now and I am immediately selling it to buy my old and lost Kobo Glo.
Because I am not an American, Amazon will not pay attention to a person like me. Now I know why the US is getting poorer day after day and the Chinese have beaten them. Because American companies don't listen to custumers' needs. For me, comfort to read is what matters. Even with physical books it happens the same. I don't read certain books because their typography is really hard to the eyes. We can customize computers, why not Kindle? I used to have Kindle Touch and I had custom fonts in it. While I'm writing this post, I'm simultaneously ordering my new Kobo. Period. Good-bye Amazon.

You should have done your research before buying the Kindle. Getting knowledge is your job, not someone else's job.

Too, generalizations about Americans and American companies are not appreciated. If you have an issue with one or more companies (regardless of country), then that's fine, but don't damn all American companies AND a country because of your personal dissatisfaction and lack of research initiative.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-05-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #2263
LucCas
LucCas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
My apologies to Americans

Mr. Don (Moderator),
-I sincerely apologize to all Americans due to the content of my previous comment. I was not in my good mood yesterday and I don't make comments like that everyday. I recognize that I am wrong.

-You are absolutely right when I wrongly made generalizations about American companies and countries. Well, please, accept my apologies.

-You are absolutely right when you said that doing research about a product is our sole task. We are the ones interested in the product so we need to do previous research first. The thing is that I saw a post here about customization of fonts in Kindle Paperwhite. It is a pity that I thought I could do the same with the newest Kindle. I read somewhere that "improvements were not much, but now the light spreads even throughout the screen." something like that. I thought of minor improvements here and there, but I did not imagine that the 2nd generation would be closed to font customization.

-Well, let me be very honest with our Kindle users. I DO HAVE a Kindle Touch that I really like. The only thing missing is the glow light. In my opinion, it was one of the best devices that Amazon made. Why I say that? Because I could customize fonts, I could easily convert a couple of my favorite books to .AZW format, the screen is not bad and the only thing that I miss is the light, because I depend on an external source to read. Well, at least, I spare the original battery. But, one more thing: Kindle Touch has .mp3 player. It is nice to sit down with just one single device in our hands and an headphone and enjoy a good dramatized audiobook. Amazon sells a large quantity of audiobooks, so, why can't the new Kindles offer us the same experience with Kindle Touch and previous versions of Kindle (as I heard they used to have the same capability)?

-As to country generalizations, Kindle is probably made in China (my Kindle Touch is).

-Let me again sincere about Kindle formats: In my Kindle Touch, I have books in PRC, AZW, AZW3 and MOBI formats. Although I said that I was migrating immediately to Kobo, it can read only MOBI and ePUB formats.

-Finally, Kindle has a good and simple thing that is password/passcode option to password protect your content. I have not heard of any other competitor in the market that has this important option.

Well, I will reconsider my position and wait for a solution to font customization. It maybe a very simple one. If not, I will pray so that my Kindle Touch lives as long as possible, because I am extremely satisfied with this Kindle version with personal fonts and .mp3. Those who like audiobooks know what I mean. It is a very nice device for that purpose.

LucCas
LucCas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #2264
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
Quote:
Well, I will reconsider my position and wait for a solution to font customization. It maybe a very simple one.
Dude, the device has been out for some time now. If no such support exists yet, why would it suddenly appear soon? They kinda removed it since previous generation after all, which should tell you their true intent.

Or so I have heard. Personally I have never needed font customization and thus have little knowledge about the situation.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #2265
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Although I said that I was migrating immediately to Kobo, it can read only MOBI and ePUB formats.
Don't set your expectations too high with MOBIs on a Kobo. I'm sure many can be read OK but there are no guarantees. Kobo's bells & whistles work best with epubs - and Kobo epubs (kepubs), of course.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote