Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
teraflame
Enthusiast
teraflame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Is there a way to put comics/manga on PW?

Mangle apparently doesn't work anymore.
teraflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraflame View Post
Mangle apparently doesn't work anymore.
To answer the question posed by the thread title, one of the newly advertised features of the Paperwhite is built-in Comic book and Manga support, with Panel View, as mentioned here:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...video-surface/
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
teraflame
Enthusiast
teraflame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
That doesn't help me at all. I have my own comics I have done that I want to put on my kindle. The pictures folder doesn't work anymore.
teraflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
eumie
Enthusiast
eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 4, Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kindle Oasis 2
You could make a cbr/cbz of the images for your manga and use Calibre to convert it to a mobi file. It works fairly well for me on my Kindle Touch - haven't gotten my PW yet to try it out there.
eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Dc5e
Dc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle 3
They changed it from the \pictures folder to the \images folder. The image viewer in the PW also doesn't store the last read location, which can be a problem.

You also want to resize them to 1024x758 (yes, 758).
Dc5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
thehaXor360
thehaXor360 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Its hard to find a software that automatically converts the pics for you (if anybody finds one please share)...but idk if its compatible yet no one said anything about it being compatible....plus the device only has like 1.29 gb to use which isn't that much for the comics/manga pictures...i wish they put an external memory card slot....:'(

Last edited by thehaXor360; 10-04-2012 at 07:12 PM.
thehaXor360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Dc5e
Dc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehaXor360 View Post
Its hard to find a software that automatically converts the pics for you (if anybody finds one please share)...but idk if its compatible yet no one said anything about it being compatible....plus the device only has like 1.29 gb to use which isn't that much for the comics/manga pictures...i wish they put an external memory card slot....:'(
You can use a batch image processing program (IrfanView, Photoshop, etc) or mangle to process your images first. For the PW, the images should be sized to 758x1024 for best results.

On the PW, it seems like they removed some functionality out of the image viewer such as saving last viewed location (I only had a K3Keyboard before so I can only tell you the differences between these two). To be able to view images, the images have to be placed in subfolders or zips in \images. (On the K3, it was \pictures)

Since the PW can't remember the last read location, I'm putting together a simple program that will build the html, ncx, and opf files for a Panel view comic. You would then use Kindlegen to create the mobi file.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
thehaXor360

awesome! please share the program when your done developing it...
Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Dc5e

Yeah, I'll share it once I get most of it worked out.

I don't know why, but the resulting mobi file is twice the size it should be... If only I knew more about .ncx, .opf, and kindlegen.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
thehaXor360

It's probably something that has to do with the mobi format...sometimes different formats tend to use different amounts space...

Last edited by thehaXor360; 10-04-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Dc5e

I found out why it doubled. It has to do with Kindlegen creating a SRCS record. It can be stripped out using some tools.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
Dc5e

Okay, here it is.

It's written in C# so you'll need at least .NET 2.0 framework installed.

What it does:
The Kindle Paperwhite's image editor no longer stores last read location, so my solution is to create a .mobi Panel View comic book (images fill the screen). This program will generate the .html, .opf, and .ncx files for Kindlegen to generate the .mobi.

How to use:

1. Prepare comic/manga images using a batch image editor (IrfanView, Photoshop, etc) or Mangle. Resize the images to 758x1024 in .png or .jpg formats and apply any other sharpening/processing as you wish. (I have not tested any other resolutions)

2. Organize the images into folders (Use leading 0's to avoid file ordering problems). For example,

C:\Naruto
C:\Naruto\Chapter 001\
C:\Naruto\Chapter 001\001.png
C:\Naruto\Chapter 001\002.png
C:\Naruto\Chapter 002\
C:\Naruto\Chapter 002\001.png
C:\Naruto\Chapter 002\002.png
etc...

3. Open KindleComicParser.exe (attached to this post), type in a title name into the textbox, click process, and select C:\Naruto.
A message should pop up once complete, and C:\Naruto should be filled with a .opf, .ncx, and many .html files.

4. Run Kindlegen (link to download page) on the .opf file. Depending on how many images you have, this may take awhile. Once completed, the .mobi file should be in the directory.

5. Remove the SRCS record to reduce the .mobi filesize in half. You can use Kindlestrip.

6. Copy the .mobi file to your Kindle!

I may port this over to python eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	93417  
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleComicParser 0.1.zip (6.0 KB, 4341 views)

Last edited by Dc5e; 10-04-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
thehaXor360

Thanks Man You are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
I'll test it out...and tell you if it worked
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
thehaXor360

It worked man thanks so much....one more question tho...is there a kindlestrip script for windows???
Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
Dc5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehaXor360 View Post
It worked man thanks so much....one more question tho...is there a kindlestrip script for windows???
You can install python to run the script in that link.

Tags
comics, k5 tools, kindle tools, manga, paperwhite