Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sony eBook Library download link! (for PRS-500 users)

eBook Library is the replacement software of the Sony Connect, and it is currently being shipped with the new Reader PRS-505. Sony promised that it would also be available for download for PRS-500 users soon, but so far no luck.

Well, until now.

Through some ingenious detective work I discovered the direct download URL of the setup program:

http://download.sony.com/prs/ebookli...0Installer.exe

No idea what's new, but I hope you can enjoy it.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
7200 is the same build number as the one distributed on CD-ROM with the PRS-505.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Has anybody tried this for the PRS-500? Are there any problems?
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've installed it. I plugged in my 500 and it showed in the left pane. So it seems to work. But to be honest, I cannot see what would be different for the 500 then Connect.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I don't see any difference. By the way, I don't understand why they're not supporting the autosync on the PRS-500 either. I just took a look at how this work and you need to have the eBook Library running for a sync with the PRS-505. They could do exactly the same thing for the PRS-500, you simply need to transfer a bunch of files automatically...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'd expect there's a firmware difference (at a minimum) that would need to be addressed. I'd also suspect that there may be some obstacle due to the fact that the 505 connects as a full up USB Drive. If that's the problem, then they may not be able to support syncing on the 500.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
MikeF74
Groupie

For the sake of the 500 owners, let's hope they update the firmware to use the same USB mass storage scheme.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
For the sake of the 500 owners, let's hope they update the firmware to use the same USB mass storage scheme.
All the firmware updates in the world won't change the hardware.

And I rather suspect there are hardware differences on the USB part of things.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hmm, not sure if this is the case, Nat.

Remember Windows Mobile 2003 or 5.0? Neither of the two offer native mass storage functionality. But a company called Softick wrote a tool that would add this functionality later (in pure software code): http://www.softick.com/pocket-pc/cardexport2/
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hey, if it's not the case, I'll be happy to be wrong and celebrate with the rest of you!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'd expect there's a firmware difference (at a minimum) that would need to be addressed. I'd also suspect that there may be some obstacle due to the fact that the 505 connects as a full up USB Drive. If that's the problem, then they may not be able to support syncing on the 500.
Honestly, transfering automatically a bunch of files has nothing to do with UMS. If you could do this automatically without launching eBook Library, it might have been the case. But as long as you need to launch eBook Library, you don't need UMS for this. I suspect that Sony has not added the support in eBook Library yet, or that they're keeping this feature on the PRS-505 to justify the fact that it's an upgrade.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
I had a few moments of excitement when the UI let me create a collection on my PRS-500, but the reader doesn't display it in the Collections list.

But perhaps this indicates hope for the future?
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggotb0y View Post
I had a few moments of excitement when the UI let me create a collection on my PRS-500, but the reader doesn't display it in the Collections list.

But perhaps this indicates hope for the future?
You might have to find the patch for the reader also. Upgrades usually comes in two parts, one for connect and one for the reader.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #14
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
I tried the link with every Mac extension that I could think of and no dice. Looks like us Mac users are still left out in the cold.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #15
MikeF74
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
I tried the link with every Mac extension that I could think of and no dice. Looks like us Mac users are still left out in the cold.
It's PC only.