Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Good, large reader for high school use?

I have a Plustek book scanner and I plan to scan my son's high school books next year and let him use a reader instead of the physical books. But what should I go for? I have an Adam myself, and he already has a Nook Color. But the battery of both those things (even though the Adam is very good in that area) may not be up to full school days. So what should I get for him to use in class? Would prefer something Android, but it doesn't have to be that. And I would prefer something at least as big as the Adam (10.1"), so he can have full pages of textbooks. Is there anything coming RSN (so in the next 4-5 months) that would fit the bill?
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The Nook Color is a very good reader, I have nothing agaisnt it at all but its not a large format reader. Those are the Bookeen and the Amazon Kindle DX. The bookeen also excells at foreign langeuge books such as German or French or Latin. Do you forsee any of those textbooks he will use in a foreign languege? Do you see him taking french or german or another langeuge? Do you see him taking advanced math classes where he will need to deal with latin characters? If your answer is yes to any of these then try the bookeen first. http://www.bookeen.com/store/usa/ or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYWHSQ/...l_1asn6n632r_e
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Here's the ereader matrix for "large" devices. I'm afraid I haven't used any of these, so I can't make recommendations. Anything that has eInk technology will have good battery life, and Pearl eInk has a very crisp contrast.

Since you're scanning textbooks, I'd really recommend something that's able to handle the page size (which you realize...). I imagine many of the texts will have tables and graphics, so it'd be ideal to not have to strip out any of that.

EDIT: after looking through the Matrix, I really want the Pocketbook 902 (it's the 903 without 3G or touchscreen)

Last edited by queentess; 03-21-2011 at 12:01 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Jbcohen, I would suppose that most of his books are in Norwegian, to be honest... I thought I had Norway as my location in the signature, but I didn't. So that would probably be considered a foregin language with all our special characters! I looked at the ones you pointed to, but they are too small. Like I said I'd like it to be at least as big as my Adam.

Queentess, I'll have a look at those. And yes, I want something that gives him the full page, which is why stuff like Kindle DX is too small, I think. So that means that nothing really big is on the horizon? 11"-12" would be perfect.
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote