Oh Yes. 144 55.38%
Oh No. 49 18.85%
Part of me wants it, the other doesn't 36 13.85%
Touchscreen is the answer. 31 11.92%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #46
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
haha. yeah, I didn't really think about that.
maybe give it ten years and it'll read your mind?
and write down my deepest, darkest thoughts?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #47
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
and write down my deepest, darkest thoughts?
yes. and send them to the amazon database for analysis so you may share them with others.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #48
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
yes. and send them to the amazon database for analysis so you may share them with others.
they will be a series of censors

nobody can bear my deepest, darkest thoughts
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #49
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLenx View Post
The ALT key is a numlock? Just press it once and enter all the numbers you want? Well it sure isn't a numlock on my K3. I have to press it or hold it down in order to get numbers off that top row.
What Bob said. Because I don't use numbers much unless I'm entering a password in the browser, I had to double-check this one, but: yup. The ALT key is no more a numlock than the Caps key is a capslock. Neither one toggles; you have to keep 'em both pressed as you press the other key.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #50
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
What Bob said. Because I don't use numbers much unless I'm entering a password in the browser, I had to double-check this one, but: yup. The ALT key is no more a numlock than the Caps key is a capslock. Neither one toggles; you have to keep 'em both pressed as you press the other key.
The alt key works like shift. It Isn't sticky. You have to press it for subsequent numbers.

However, you don't have to hold alt and the key down at the same time. You can press alt, let go, then press q to get 1. This is significant for handicapped users.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #51
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
However, you don't have to hold alt and the key down at the same time. You can press alt, let go, then press q to get 1. This is significant for handicapped users.
I did not realize that! You're right, it's incredibly helpful for anyone with, say, dexterity issues ... or even me with my big fingers :-)

Thanks for sharing this!
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #52
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I don't like the keyboard since it makes it awk to hold while reading, but touch screens need constant fingerprint cleaning. It would be nice if we had a choice between touch screen and keyboard to make everyone happy.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #53
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Maybe a keyboard that slides out could be a good compromise for those wanting space and tactile keyboard.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #54
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
Maybe a keyboard that slides out could be a good compromise for those wanting space and tactile keyboard.
Then people would compalin that it adds bulk and that it could easily break.

There is no way to please everyone. The responses here indicate that Kindle users seem to like their keyboards. This is not a surprise to me because most Kindle users bought the Kindle over the Sony and Nook probably because they are not huge fans of touch screens.

Choice is good.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #55
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Then people would compalin that it adds bulk and that it could easily break.

There is no way to please everyone. The responses here indicate that Kindle users seem to like their keyboards. This is not a surprise to me because most Kindle users bought the Kindle over the Sony and Nook probably because they are not huge fans of touch screens.

Choice is good.
Yes, I agree. I was just throwing it in to bridge a gap. I'm fine with how it is... well, until something better comes along.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #56
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The alt key works like shift. It Isn't sticky. You have to press it for subsequent numbers.

In fact that behavior is exactly what we are calling "sticky" (as opposed to shift and shift lock behavior)

This works with both shift and alt so shift then z then alt then q then alt then r gives Z14 and I find it rather easier than holding down the shift and alt keys.

adding the numbers to the key caps would help when typing passwords.

If any of the above is a surprise to readers then they should hie themselves to the sticky threads "what every Kindler needs" and read and download the little booklets about Kindle keyboard shortcuts to their Kindle.

As someone said, a real keyboard is one reason for buying - lots of readers do without. What I would like improved is the 5-way and the next/ previous keys which are in the wrong place and need improvement.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #57
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
One thing I think we can all agree on is that the is definitely a need for some major improvement in the keyboard.
IMO it's probably the weakest thing about the kindle.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keyboard, kindle