Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
zork40
zork40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is it hard to part with your books (REAL books)

I have loads of books, mostly hardcover. I've been wanting a Kindle or other reader for awhile now. My wife is the same way, but reads more than I do. We are running out of room for books, and have them allover the house.

The thought of getting an e-book reader seems like a good idea. I love gadgets, and the idea of saving all that space is tempting.

For people that are now using a reader for most reading, is it hard to get used to giving up the way you used to read? Along the same lines, do you feel like not buying a book that you normally would because it's not available in e-book format? I enjoy going to the book store. The wife and I hang out in there checking everything out. I think I might miss doing that.
zork40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
For me no. For my wife... well, I clean almost all of the (my) books off the book shelf with the plan to donate or trash. But, they are still sitting in boxes in the garage. She seems to have a problem with me getting rid of them.

She would not let me get rid of any of "her" books.

She is not reading on a reader yet. Though I keep trying. Recently she said she wanted to go out and get a book. I told her I could just but the ebook version for he and she could use my Sony reader... her response was...

"That is a waste. Then I can't give the book away to the school after I am done with it."

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have been passing old books on to Libraries and Goodwill for a number of years because I've never had enough room to keep them and I know I won't re-read most of them. I only keep hardcover copies of my favorite writers (mostly Stephen King).

I hate having to buy a paper book but if I do, I try to find the best deal (eBay).

If you love hanging out in books stores, take your Kindle with you and download any interesting books you find (if available as ebooks) and buy paper copies of those that aren't or that you just want in paper. It's not an all or nothing proposition, you can have both.

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-09-2009 at 02:17 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
zork40

@pilotbob:
Too bad you can't get your wife to convert. Maybe she will someday.

I've been thinking along the same lines as I do for music. I haven't bought a physical CD in ages. I have 2 iPods and an iPhone and I don't miss the music store at all. I did get my wife hooked on mp3s, and she has an iPod as well. Maybe we won't miss real books and going to the bookstore as much as we think.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Just as an aside, e-books ARE real books.

I believe you meant to say "paper books"

Some authors for me are 'shelf worthy', such as Agatha Christie, Ray Bradbury, and others.

The rest, I donate.

I still enjoy going to Barnes and Noble, they have lots of childrens books, and titles I can't get on the K.

Not every title is available for e-books, regardless of which brand you choose.

Reading on the Kindle1 is a very enjoyable experience, especially when you are out and about.......having all your books at your fingertips gives you the ability to read WHAT you want WHEN you want.

Enjoy!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
zork40

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I only keep hardcover copies of my favorites writers (mostly Stephen King).
I grew up reading almost nothing but Stephen King. I stopped for awhile, and don't read as much as I used to. I also have a habit of reading in bed when I'm tired, making it harder to get through a book unless it's great. I read Cell, and loved it until the end. I felt cheated, like he just didn't know how to end the book. He had me wondering what was going to happen and never told me.

That made me seriously consider not reading any more Stephen King. I then spotted Duma Key at a used book store for $3 and grabbed it. It's great so far, and the reviews for it seem to be pretty good so hopefully he will have some sort of ending that doesn't leave you feeling cheated.

tDuma Key in hardcover is a prettyhick book. Every time I get tired of holding it I'm one step closer to getting a Kindle.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
zork40

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Yeah, that's right. I'll have to get used to that concept.

I'm a web developer, and have loads of technical books. I'd love to get some of the O'Reilly books in e-book format but from what I read they don't translate very well. I may wait for the rumored larger format Kindle for that reason before making the plunge.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork40 View Post
Yeah, that's right. I'll have to get used to that concept.

I'm a web developer, and have loads of technical books. I'd love to get some of the O'Reilly books in e-book format but from what I read they don't translate very well. I may wait for the rumored larger format Kindle for that reason before making the plunge.
Have you looked at the other brands of e-book readers available?

Here is a link to our infamous e-book matrix......The Ilrex especially looks good.......

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices
Old 03-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Between Devices..
Quote:
Just as an aside, e-books ARE real books.

I'm pretty sure most people's definition of a book includes paper and pages and stuff like that. A scroll is not a book either, even if it carries the same text.
Interesting how there is not (yet) a clearly defined way to distinguish medium and content because of the lack of need / ability to differentiate though.

I don't think I could get rid of my paper books. Ever. I feel a lot more cofortable in rooms with lots of books, usually. I will probably continue buying most my books in the paper medium, too - the e-book reader is (at least for now I think so) mostly a traveling convenience to me, that I'll mostly use for copyright free books.
dsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I grew up reading almost nothing but Stephen King. I stopped for awhile, and don't read as much as I used to. I also have a habit of reading in bed when I'm tired, making it harder to get through a book unless it's great. I read Cell, and loved it until the end. I felt cheated, like he just didn't know how to end the book. He had me wondering what was going to happen and never told me.

That made me seriously consider not reading any more Stephen King. I then spotted Duma Key at a used book store for $3 and grabbed it. It's great so far, and the reviews for it seem to be pretty good so hopefully he will have some sort of ending that doesn't leave you feeling cheated.

tDuma Key in hardcover is a prettyhick book. Every time I get tired of holding it I'm one step closer to getting a Kindle.
I felt the same way about Cell. It had the potential to be another "The Stand" but fell short.

I read "Duma Key" in hardcover and yes it is a big book. I always take the cover off so that it doesn't get torn being toted around in my backpack. The cover goes back on when I've finished the book. I bought "Just After Sunset" in hardcover, a Kindle book and an audiobook. I ended up using the audiobook to keep me company in Los Angeles traffic for a few days (couldn't finish the last story though, it was just too gross for me ).
Old 03-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsip View Post
I'm pretty sure most people's definition of a book includes paper and pages and stuff like that. A scroll is not a book either, even if it carries the same text.
Interesting how there is not (yet) a clearly defined way to distinguish medium and content because of the lack of need / ability to differentiate though.

I don't think I could get rid of my paper books. Ever. I feel a lot more cofortable in rooms with lots of books, usually. I will probably continue buying most my books in the paper medium, too - the e-book reader is (at least for now I think so) mostly a traveling convenience to me, that I'll mostly use for copyright free books.

Well, if you have an ebook device, you defintely think of the books loaded as "real books". What else could you be reading?

I won't get getting rid of my paper books either. They are a joy and comfort.

However, I have discovered having as many books on my reader as possible makes reading even more enjoyable.

While waiting in doctors offices or hospital, or anywhere !

While eating......(you can eat with one hand and turn pages with another......try doing that with with a paper back!

Lying in bed with a read is way more comfortable. Large books are cumbersome, and even smaller ones keep flapping closed.

Being able to look up words without getting out the dictionary is fun.

And reading what you want, when you want, is the best of all.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
zork40

Quote:
Have you looked at the other brands of e-book readers available?

Here is a link to our infamous e-book matrix......The Ilrex especially looks good.......

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices
Yes, I've been checking them out here once in awhile. That new iRex reader looks pretty sweet. I've been watching the news on the PlasticLogic reader, but that seems a ways off. The e-ink technology seems so new that part of me wants to wait until they have good color ones. The other part of me wants to get my credit card out right away. If the economy wasn't in the toilet I probably would have bought one by now. I came very close to ordering a Kindle late one night and stopped myself due to not wanting to spend too much money. I buy way too many toys as you can see here:
http://www.noiselandarcade.net
Old 03-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I buy way too many toys as you can see here:
http://www.noiselandarcade.net
Uh yeah, ya do.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
For me no. For my wife... well, I clean almost all of the (my) books off the book shelf with the plan to donate or trash. But, they are still sitting in boxes in the garage. She seems to have a problem with me getting rid of them.

She would not let me get rid of any of "her" books.

She is not reading on a reader yet. Though I keep trying. Recently she said she wanted to go out and get a book. I told her I could just but the ebook version for he and she could use my Sony reader... her response was...

"That is a waste. Then I can't give the book away to the school after I am done with it."

BOb
You guys sound like my husband and me, though he is happily using a Kindle now. We're slowly making progress. He rereads books quite often and is a little bit of a packrat. I rarely reread a book and I'm also a compulsive thrower-outer of things. When we first moved in together. I got rid of most of my books to make room for his. At that point he couldn't bear to part with any. After a couple moves hauling all of that around he became a bit more receptive to at least getting rid of the books he didn't like. We now have several catalogged boxes in the garage of books he did like but feels he is very unlikely to ever read again. The shelves are still overly full but we're making progress. I do believe, however, that he would divorce me if I ever got rid of one of "his" books.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
No I've been boxing up and storing them in my parents basement, or donating, the vast majority of books I've bought for years anyway. I seldom re-read, and a move a lot and hate dealing with lugging boxes of books around.

So the main reason I bought an eReader was to not have to buy real books anymore. Other than academic books and those I keep in the office and they get moved by hired movers if I have to switch offices or move to a different university etc.

But ideally when I move again this summer I won't even have a bookshelf at home. Just my kindle with all my real books on the shelves in my office.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote