Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
karo02
Enthusiast
karo02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
convert to lrf : paragraph indents, line breaks

I've been using Calibre for almost 2 months now in order to convert different formats to lrf.

I noticed that when converting txt to lrf, Calibre add indents to paragraph even if there's none in the original txt files, which I find great.
But this is not the case for .lit files when the original file has no indent.
Would it be possible to add this feature when converting .lit files to lrf ? (or is there an option I didn't see...)

Also, I have issues with line breaks when converting txt to lrf : no matter how many blank lines I add in the txt file, none appears in the lrf file, I only get a new paragraph.
I don't want a blank line between each paragraph (like the option proposed in the GUI), but sometimes there are 2 or 3 blank lines between "blocks of paragraph", and I like to keep them... How can I do that ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
karo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
For converting plain text files, Calibre actually processes the source as a form of simple markup named "Markdown." If you check out the Markdown documentation, it says that you can insert a hard line-break by ending the line with two spaces, so you might give that a try.

For the LIT->LRF paragraph indentation, I know the LRF converter(s) accept the command-line option '--minimum-indent' which allows you to specify a minimum paragraph indentation (in points), although I'm not sure where the option is in the GUI. If you convert to EPUB instead (which I heavily recommend), the option '--remove-paragraph-spacing' will do exactly what it sounds like you want.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
karo02
Enthusiast
karo02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Thanks for your answers and the markdown link, I'll try that.

I don't convert to EPUB because I CAN'T read non-justified text, and if I understood correctly EPUB is only left-aligned (but maybe I misunderstood that too and you can give me a solution ?...)
Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by karo02 View Post
I don't convert to EPUB because I CAN'T read non-justified text, and if I understood correctly EPUB is only left-aligned (but maybe I misunderstood that too and you can give me a solution ?...)
Yeah, that's a much-lamented limitation of AdobeDE both on the Reader and the desktop. But you "CAN'T"?, like all left-aligned text (like this, for example) becomes instantly illegible? At first I "couldn't stand" to read the LRF-justified text because I was used to LaTeX's clean justification w/ proper hyphenation and paragraph "color" balancing. I got used to it eventually, then I "couldn't stand" ADE's left-justified text. Now that I've gotten used to that, the LRF-justified text with rivers of whitespace looks horrible to me again.

So seriously do consider giving EPUB on the Reader a try. Even if the left justification takes some getting used to, at least you have real italics which IMHO is much much much more important.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
karo02
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
But you "CAN'T"?, like all left-aligned text (like this, for example) becomes instantly illegible?
I "CAN'T" (english as foreign language... sorry ) because when I'm trying I immediately want to turn off the reader.
But yeah, I'm gonna try and try again, and like you say I'm sure I will get used to it.
(BTW I agree with you : LaTeX is the best for proper layout).
Advert