Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Kindle Voyage and PDFs?

Has anyone tried PDFs on the Voyage yet? If so, how did it go?

I recently looked at a variety of PDFs on an Aura HD and was surprised at how readable the tiny printing was and how easy and convenient it was to zoom and pan. But page turning was fiddly because of no page turn buttons. I had trouble avoiding panning when I was trying to turn pages and sometimes vice versa.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So no Voyage users have anything to say about PDFs on the Voyage?
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Sorry, most of us hate PDFs on eInk readers. I hate PDFs even on tablets and computers. I can say that PDFs on the PW1 and PW2 were horrible, and I doubt the rendering engine has changed at all for the Voyage, so expect a clunky interface. However the text will be better due to the higher resolution.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
So no Voyage users have anything to say about PDFs on the Voyage?
Well, I just tried a PDF that I had in my cloud--it's just a straight forward fiction book that I was sent as an advance copy by an author, but I can say that the experience on my Voyage was better than on my PW2. I could zoom by double tapping, and pinch zoom works too. There was no issue turning pages with the "buttons" when I did double-tap zoom, but if I did pinch zoom they didn't work until I zoomed back out. Panning works as well as it does on any other e-ink device, which isn't saying much.

Hope this helps.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Well, I just tried a PDF that I had in my cloud--it's just a straight forward fiction book that I was sent as an advance copy by an author, but I can say that the experience on my Voyage was better than on my PW2. I could zoom by double tapping, and pinch zoom works too. There was no issue turning pages with the "buttons" when I did double-tap zoom, but if I did pinch zoom they didn't work until I zoomed back out. Panning works as well as it does on any other e-ink device, which isn't saying much.

Hope this helps.

Shari
Thanks, Shari,

That answers just about all the questions I have about PDFs on the Voyage.

I'll assume the page turn buttons work when there has been no zooming since they work on zoomed pages.

It will be ironic if they work on PDFs in landscape mode.
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
PDF is poor on any eInk Reader of 6". Just treat PDF like it doesn't exist.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
PDF is poor on any eInk Reader of 6". Just treat PDF like it doesn't exist.
All sweeping generalizations are wrong.

Very few of the PDFs I am interested in reading are better than poor on a Kindle DXG, but some are OK even on a 600x800 screen. Those should be even better on a Voyage screen.

My one experience with PDF on an Aura HD was much less miserable than I thought it would be. Why am I not entitled to be curious about the details of the PDF experience on a Voyage?

I have much greater success treating microsoft like it doesn't exist than I would with PDF.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
All sweeping generalizations are wrong.

Very few of the PDFs I am interested in reading are better than poor on a Kindle DXG, but some are OK even on a 600x800 screen. Those should be even better on a Voyage screen.

My one experience with PDF on an Aura HD was much less miserable than I thought it would be. Why am I not entitled to be curious about the details of the PDF experience on a Voyage?

I have much greater success treating microsoft like it doesn't exist than I would with PDF.
The KDX has a 9.7" screen. I did say 6" screen. Yes, I can make such generalizations because nobody has said that any Reader of 6" in size was good for PDF. A standard PDF made at 8.5"x11" with the wide margin look awful on an 800x600 6" screen and not much better on an HD screen (PW2). Yes, it may look better on a Voyage, but overall, I'd say most wouldn't be good enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
IluvToRead
Enthusiast
IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx Boox m92 - Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Sorry, most of us hate PDFs on eInk readers. I hate PDFs even on tablets and computers. I can say that PDFs on the PW1 and PW2 were horrible, and I doubt the rendering engine has changed at all for the Voyage, so expect a clunky interface. However the text will be better due to the higher resolution.
I'm planning to buy a Voyage soon. Presently I have a K4 and yes, pdfs are very difficult to read on the K4, as in it drove me crazy, and don't bother. That's why I bought an Onyx Boox m92. For me pdfs on the m92 worked very well.
IluvToRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The KDX has a 9.7" screen. I did say 6" screen. Yes, I can make such generalizations because nobody has said that any Reader of 6" in size was good for PDF. A standard PDF made at 8.5"x11" with the wide margin look awful on an 800x600 6" screen and not much better on an HD screen (PW2). Yes, it may look better on a Voyage, but overall, I'd say most wouldn't be good enough.
I know the KDX is 9.7", I've owned one for years. What I wrote was that even with a 9.7" screen, most PDFs don't look good to me. But the Voyage has more pixels, a faster CPU, and might have better PDF SW.

The PDF at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33283 has a page size about 5.4"x8" (9.7" diagonal) and might look OK on a Voyage, even without margin trim or zoom and pan. Of course margin trim and zoom might also help.

The PDF at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41008 was customized by the uploader for a Sony PRS-505 screen. It has a page size approximately 3.6"x4.8" and a margin possibly too small even for you.

About 3 years ago I tried to add a small margin. The result is uploaded here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rms-essaysfix.pdf (1.30 MB, 139 views)

Last edited by j.p.s; 10-26-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvToRead View Post
I'm planning to buy a Voyage soon. Presently I have a K4 and yes, pdfs are very difficult to read on the K4, as in it drove me crazy, and don't bother. That's why I bought an Onyx Boox m92. For me pdfs on the m92 worked very well.
I really like the margin trim, fit to width, and pick corners with stylus on the M92. The SD card and folder support are also very nice. But sometimes the font is still too samll for me and I find zoom and pan awkward on the M92.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #12
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Voyage pdf review:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-review-video/
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
PDFs on an e-ink device should only have an issue if you need to zoom or scroll. If it is perfectly readable at full-page, then the only interface is page turn (like printed pages). I think if your eyesight is good, then a 6" at fullscreen may be okay for 8.5x11 PDFs, but you may need to take breaks. One thing pdf readers can improve upon is better margin detection and automatic cropping of them, which I don't know if any does well (my only experience is with a K3).

Last edited by badbob001; 10-31-2014 at 11:14 AM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbokJunkie View Post
That's a nice review that actually answered most of the questions I had about reading PDF on the Voyage and some that I didn't. Different behavior after pinch zoom and double tap zoom seems a bit bizarre.

It also seems that the page turn buttons do not work in landscape regardless of book file type.