Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #301
gauchomigo
gauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to behold

Device: kobo forma/aura
deleted

Last edited by gauchomigo; 05-15-2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: near dupe
gauchomigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #302
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Hope it arrives soon. You won't be opening up the new one will you?
Probably, but with a lot more care. The thing is I'm not so sure I need to
anymore. I am beginning to think the external MicroSD may be all I will end
up using, like I do now with my jetBook Lite.

I do know I will be getting into calibre a lot more now, which is really a good thing,
with all the added features from the plugins and its own builtin functions, it has
turned into an even more essential and powerful tool.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-15-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #303
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Probably, but with a lot more care. The thing is I'm not so sure I need to
anymore. I am beginning to think the external MicroSD may be all I will end
up using, like I do now with my jetBook Lite.

I do know I will be getting into calibre a lot more now, which is really a good thing,
with all the added features from the plugins and its own builtin functions, it has
turned into an even more essential and powerful tool.

Luck;
Ken
Yikes. I thought you were only opening the case to apply the coating. If it's storage you are concerned about the external MicroSD is all you need, IMHO. At least wait until you have had some time to enjoy your new Aura before you open this one.

Calibre is the only way to go!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #304
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I got my Aura HD back, and it was Skydog's post that gave me the final clue to
make me apply the fix needed.

It appears like some of that coating did get into the inside of the bezel and messed
up my IR touchscreen. I thought that a coating I noticed on a part of the bezel was
too even to be anything but factory applied, and that it was probably to help absorb
the IR Beam. When I removed it my touchscreen came back. I have it running with
an 8GB class 10 MicroSD card.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #305
Hartsock
Enthusiast
Hartsock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Ordered my Aura Hd on May 9th. Received NO confirmation of the order. Almost went through the ordering process again but fortunately decided I might end up billed for two.
Sent e-mail to Kobo on the 10th. Three days later they told me my order was being processed.

My credit card was charged on the 10th. Today, May 16, I finally received notice that my Aura HD has shipped. Not happy about the card being charged a week before shipment, nor that it takes a week to process the order, nor the lack of order confirmation initially. If the Aura HD is as good as I anticipate all will be forgiven. Right now I have a bad taste in my mouth.
Hartsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #306
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

It appears like some of that coating did get into the inside of the bezel and messed
up my IR touchscreen. I thought that a coating I noticed on a part of the bezel was
too even to be anything but factory applied, and that it was probably to help absorb

Luck;
Ken
That is great news! It doesn't take much to interfere with the IR beam.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #307
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
Finally got mine today (9 business days), initial impression is complete awe over how sharp the text on the screen is. Holy crap. Such a difference from my PRS-T1. I haven't had much time to really get into the device yet, but I think the design of the reader is really quite nice. I don't mind the lack of rubber backing, but if it had it, you wouldn't hear me complaining.

I'm diving into my first re-read of Ender's Game in over 4 years, hoping that will get me immersed into the device in short order.
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #308
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The Espresso is in stock again on the webstore, as are both covers. (Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but about a week or two ago, I also noticed they have a minor upgrade of their webstore and actually offer you the covers when ordering now.)

Last edited by Nil Einne; 05-16-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #309
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:

Luck;
Ken
Ken, that is great news, really glad you got your Aura working again
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #310
Hartsock
Enthusiast

I wanted the espresso Aura HD. It was unavailable when I went to order and I was just a bit paranoid about the expression of a limited run of devices. So I ordered the onyx color.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #311
gauchomigo
gauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to behold

Device: kobo forma/aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsock View Post
Ordered my Aura Hd on May 9th. Received NO confirmation of the order. Almost went through the ordering process again but fortunately decided I might end up billed for two.
Sent e-mail to Kobo on the 10th. Three days later they told me my order was being processed.

My credit card was charged on the 10th. Today, May 16, I finally received notice that my Aura HD has shipped. Not happy about the card being charged a week before shipment, nor that it takes a week to process the order, nor the lack of order confirmation initially. If the Aura HD is as good as I anticipate all will be forgiven. Right now I have a bad taste in my mouth.
Ordered mine on the 11th, and got shipping confirmation on the 17th, so it appears "processing" takes right at 7 days.
gauchomigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #312
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Ordered mine shipping to my freight forwarder in Oregon on the 16th (US/Canadian time) although it was fairly late in the day. My credit card got charged when I ordered I think. (My CC company doesn't show authorisation holds in the account details and I forgot to check my balance just before ordering but it doesn't seem to have changed unexpectedly and it now shows up as a processed transaction after ~ 3 days.) I got charged in Canadian dollars, I guess this is normal I was never sure but I definitely prefer it because the Canadian dollar is lower (and because it's always a foreign currency transaction to me, it would be better or the same for me even if it was 0.999USD to 1CAD).

Got 2 emails from Kobo just after I ordered, one an invoice, one an order confirmation. Nothing since but they only had 1 working day so far probably and unfortunately Monday seems to be a holiday in most of Canada.
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #313
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil Einne View Post
and unfortunately Monday seems to be a holiday in most of Canada.
Fortunately (for us Canadians at least), Monday is a holiday in ALL of Canada
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #314
Hartsock
Enthusiast

"Processing" indeed took a week, whatever the heck "Processing" is. On Thursday, a week after my order was placed Kobo sent an email notifying me of shipment. Tracking seemed to disappear after the package crossed the border, but yesterday it showed processing and shipment from the Chicago processing center. That is good news. I would think I should take receipt of my new Aura Hd on Monday for Tuesday since I am only 330 miles from Chicago. Roughly 5 days for shipment. Actually Kobo email support was helpful when I inquired into my order. Still it is an annoyance that confirmation of the order had to be obtained from said Support and that my credit card was charged on the day of order, not shipment.

I own a Sony T1 which I like but the specs for the Aura Hd were enticing enough for me to add a second E ink reader. Especially wanted the illumination and enhanced display.
My preference is for mechanical page turn buttons as an on-screen alternative but will live with it. I have and still use two LCD readers. The eReader that started it all, Rocket E book and a follow-on reader the eBookwise-1150. In many ways the Rocket E book reader is still my favorite device. Very capable for a generation 1 device, very well thought out.

I hope the Aura Hd arrives in good working order. Anxious to put it through its paces.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #315
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
There is no landscape mode in ePubs or kepubs.

I kept pestering my local bookstore for when they will get them in and was told that Indiebound.org is working with Kobo on it. I couldn't wait and ordered one online. My order went right through. I think it's the most elegantly beautiful eReader I've seen. They used the larger screen and greater resolution to give us really attractive books.
Are you sure? I mean, when you say it's not possible, is it because ePub format or the hardware itself?

I only use Kindle but I noticed iBooks divides the screen in two when I rotate my iPad.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote