Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Access calibre content server with Nook Color

Hey Nookers,

I'm an iPad user, but I'm very interested in some of the magazine subscriptions for B&N and the form factor of the iPad is just a little too big for comfortable bed time reading. So I'm looking at the Nook Color.

Is there a way to download books to the Nook by accessing the calibre content server web page?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
If you are buying a subscription from B&N, you can just get them to the Nook via WiFi. Why would you want to use a Calibre facility?

Also, can you give us the address of the "calibre content server web page" so we could have a better idea of what this is and maybe come up with an answer.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Accessing the calibre content server would be for my own books in EPUB format.

If you're not familiar, calibre offers an HTTP server to download books. It's just a web page with links to books in various formats. Can you save books from web pages on the NC?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't have content server set up to try, but I just downloaded an ePub from my Dropbox and it downloaded and opens fine on my stock NC (1.2). The only downside I can see, which will depend on the user, is that it goes into the My Downloads folder, as opposed to Books, in the file system so doesn't show up in your library like a file placed in Books does so you have to browse to the downloads folder to access the book. The stock NC's 'My Files' file browser isn't a full file manager so you can't move books from one folder to another like you can if you root and use a file manager like Astro.

If someone has a test content server set up with some public domain books on it I'd be happy to try a download from there too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
astrodad
Guru

Thanks Brian.

Are you able to browse this folder with covers?
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Thanks Brian.

Are you able to browse this folder with covers?
No covers (for anything, even in the Books folder, when using the My Files browser), you just get a book looking icon that says Book and has the file name below it. It'd be perfect if you could move stuff from My Downloads to Books so you could browse it from your Library.

EDIT: I just tried setting up a custom shelf to see if I could add the book to that for browsing, but it was a no go.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-02-2011 at 08:33 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
astrodad
Guru

Hmm...

Well thanks for looking into it for me.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I reported in another thread, I have uploaded an epub to Goggle Docs and then used the QuickOffice FileManager to copy the file from Google Docs into the Nook's book folder on the SD card. I then looked in the Library on the Nook and that epub was listed in the books area. It had no cover, but it did open and read correctly as a book.

If you could configure QuickOffice's Filemanager to use the Calibre server area the same way it does the Google Docs area (automatically logs in; treats it like a virtual drive), you could then get your ebooks into the Books area of the SD card, instead of downloading them using the browser which only gets them into the Download area of the internal memory.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
astrodad
Guru

Thanks RAH. I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm assuming that requires a rooted NC?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
RAH
Guru

No, un-rooted Color Nook. It does require you to buy the QuickOffice app ($7.99). The FileManager in that app is what you need.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
astrodad
Guru

Ok, that' good to know. The main reason I'm looking at the NC is the form factor and the cost. What I really want is a Samsung tablet because I can run the Kindle app on it. We buy most of our stuff on Kindle, but remove the DRM. I could avoid that by running the Kindle app natively, but all the other tablets are too expensive. At least with the NC, I can either get my de-DRMed books or root it and install the Kindle app on it (I think).

Anyway, this is good information. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Ok, that' good to know. The main reason I'm looking at the NC is the form factor and the cost. What I really want is a Samsung tablet because I can run the Kindle app on it. We buy most of our stuff on Kindle, but remove the DRM. I could avoid that by running the Kindle app natively, but all the other tablets are too expensive. At least with the NC, I can either get my de-DRMed books or root it and install the Kindle app on it (I think).

Anyway, this is good information. Thanks!
I really love my nook but for $100 more the Samsung is really a better choice than the nook.

That said the nook is a good choice if you are willing to root your nook or better yet ROM your nook you can get close to the performance of a Samsung. (except for graphic intensive apps).

On my ROMed nook I can easily download calibre content* either with my web browser or through Alkdio or Moon eReader apps. For the Kindle app I have to download the books through a browser. All you have to do for Alkdio/Moon is point the app to the web servers IP:PORT address and the rest will work flawlessly. I love this because I don't have to filter through books on my local nook, I can use calibres tag engine to search for a book I want to read.

If Aldiko and Moon are released on the nook market you will not need to root your nook.

=X=

* I have calibre web server running
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
+1 to the recommendation of running CM7 on an SD card.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #14
astrodad
Guru

Thanks ==X==. Your information was most useful.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
tomwitt
tomwitt has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nook color
Quote:
Hey Nookers,

I'm an iPad user, but I'm very interested in some of the magazine subscriptions for B&N and the form factor of the iPad is just a little too big for comfortable bed time reading. So I'm looking at the Nook Color.

Is there a way to download books to the Nook by accessing the calibre content server web page?

Hey JPlumey.

I'm using my Nook Color with the calibre-content server on a regular basis. I have Calibre-server running on my Linux box and I use the Nook web browser to view the library and download books from the calibre-server. The Nook downloads the book into a separate Downloads area on the nook as just a regular epub file. You can access the epub files by going to Libary -> My Files -> My Downloads. The bad part is that the files just show as an inelegant epub filename; there's no cover to view. There's also no way (on the Nook itself) to move or re-organize the file once it's downloaded; in "My Downloads" is where it sits and where it stays. To delete files (as far as I know), you need to connect to a computer and use the file manager (Dolphin on my Ubuntu box; File Manager [presumably] on a Windows box) or the calibre program itself.

The one complication I ran into tonight after upgrading to the latest version of calibre is that the calibre-server is now serving content to my Nook Color as though the Nook Color is a mobile device (which, I suppose, technically, it is). However, I'd much rather see the full, non-mobile-device interface of the calibre-server on my Nook and I'm not (yet) sure how to force calibre-server to display non-mobile optimized pages to my Nook Color.

In any case, it's awesome to be able to use the calibre-server as a content delivery mechanism and it does work well on the Nook Color (within the Nook Colors limits; I still wish I could see the covers of the downloaded "My Files" media).

-- Tom
tomwitt is offline   Reply With Quote