Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
kamm
Zealot
kamm doesn't litterkamm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Spanish dictionary - is it really MiA?

I mean this is plain ridiculousthat almost 2 years later AFAIK THERE'S STILL NO OTHER OFFICIAL DICTIONARY THAN THIS EL-DUMBO OXFORD ENGLISH for the Kindle...

..this sheer, utter incompetency of Amazon is really mind-blowing - so bu8siness is so good you can afford selling a lot of totally worthless, useless, mis-formatted crap but there's not one single Spanish dictionary to replace this stupid limited default one...?

I hope I'm missing something, seriously.
kamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is at least one other commercial dictionary available for the Kindle, see Kindle Myths and Partial Truths: Only One Dictionary is available for the Kindle. However, I think it is still the case that no one has worked out how to get a two-language dictionary to work on the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Well, to be fair, converting a dictionary to be a usable Mobipocket format dictionary is an enormous amount of work. You would have to individually edit each word entry to get the lookup feature to work. Who is going to want to do that much work for a very small revenue stream? Not the average publisher, for sure. Nothing to do with Amazon, since a publisher has to provide the dictionary.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
kamm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is at least one other commercial dictionary available for the Kindle, see Kindle Myths and Partial Truths: Only One Dictionary is available for the Kindle. However, I think it is still the case that no one has worked out how to get a two-language dictionary to work on the Kindle.
Actually no, there isn't a single one: it's Not Yet Available for more than a year now (based on its listed release date.)
Old 05-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
kamm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Well, to be fair, converting a dictionary to be a usable Mobipocket format dictionary is an enormous amount of work. You would have to individually edit each word entry to get the lookup feature to work. Who is going to want to do that much work for a very small revenue stream? Not the average publisher, for sure. Nothing to do with Amazon, since a publisher has to provide the dictionary.
Oh, c'mon: you can buy *any* secure mobi one and dedrm it and then install it - it works fine. This is Amazon, it's clear to me, nobody else.

It seems I have no choice left but to buy one and hack it to be able to use it on my Kindle...
Old 05-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamm View Post
Actually no, there isn't a single one: it's Not Yet Available for more than a year now (based on its listed release date.)
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition, definitely used to be available, see Dictonaries on Kindle for actual screenshots of it working. I guess we are back to no commercial alternatives to the Oxford American.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
kamm
Zealot

Hmm, so many choices... Pocket Oxford must be good, just like the Collins one... dunno about this VOX...
Old 05-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamm View Post
Oh, c'mon: you can buy *any* secure mobi one and dedrm it and then install it - it works fine.
The typical DRMed MOBI dictionary does not work on the Kindle, even if dedrmed. If you find any that do work, that would be good to know.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
kamm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The typical DRMed MOBI dictionary does not work on the Kindle, even if dedrmed. If you find any that do work, that would be good to know.
Well, I decided to blew few dollars to figure out... if it does not work then not a biggie, I'll install it on my WinMo smartphone.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a difference between an dictionary that can be used just as a book, and a dictionary that is indexed for the Lookup feature to work on Kindle.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #11
kamm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
There is a difference between an dictionary that can be used just as a book, and a dictionary that is indexed for the Lookup feature to work on Kindle.
Sure. If it works on my phone that means it's not wasted and if it loads on the Kindle that's just icing on the cake...

BTW that's exactly what happens: it loads but does not look up (yet ) - but it works fine on my phone so it's worth it. The problem is Fictionwise.com does not accept my K1's PID for some reason... what's interesting is that mobipocket.com accepts it but removes the * so it ends up as 9 chars... I don't feel like buying another one right now so I'll leave it to others.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard

Mobipocket DRM servers (which Fictionwise now uses) will not accept a Kindle-format PID. If they did accept it, you could tweak it with the script which shall be nameless, due to Amazon displeasure.