Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
skrr
skrr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for my first e-reader, have a couple questions

1. I live outside of the US, and I know that the ad supported version of the new non-touch kindle cannot be shipped outside of the US. However, I'm going to be in the US soon, so I was wondering if there is any problem with buying the ad supported version in the US and then using it outside of the US? i.e. would amazon "blacklist" me or something for using a discounted kindle in a region where it should not be possible.

2. Book selections. I live in Canada, and I have seen threads on other forums complaining about the book selection being lacking in Canada. However, I went to amazon.com and searched around and they seem to have the books I'm interested in (I made sure that the "What region are you in" was set to Canada). From switching in between regions I can see that the US has about 1 million ebooks and the Canada has about 800k available. So, I'm assuming the threads that I came across were older and that the Canadian library has expanded?

3. Is it possible to purchase the ebooks on my laptop and then copy them unto my kindle via USB, without ever having to login to my amazon account on my kindle? I'm a bit paranoid about having my CC info on my kindle if it is stolen or something...
skrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
Deja Moo
Enthusiast
Deja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PaperWhite
<blockquote>3. Is it possible to purchase the ebooks on my laptop and then copy them unto my kindle via USB, without ever having to login to my amazon account on my kindle? I'm a bit paranoid about having my CC info on my kindle if it is stolen or something... </blockquote>

Yes, it is. It's called "side-loading", and it's how I load most of my books. However, your CC info won't be on your Kindle, but on Amazon's computer. A thief or someone who finds your Kindle wouldn't be able to buy anything but books and if you <i>do</> lose your Kindle you can immediately "deregister" it so he couldn't even do that.

Last edited by Deja Moo; 10-09-2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Drat! No HTML!
Deja Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrr View Post
1. I live outside of the US, and I know that the ad supported version of the new non-touch kindle cannot be shipped outside of the US. However, I'm going to be in the US soon, so I was wondering if there is any problem with buying the ad supported version in the US and then using it outside of the US? i.e. would amazon "blacklist" me or something for using a discounted kindle in a region where it should not be possible.
No, this is fine. You won't be able to use any of the special offers, but the Kindle will work absolutely fine.

Quote:
2. Book selections. I live in Canada, and I have seen threads on other forums complaining about the book selection being lacking in Canada. However, I went to amazon.com and searched around and they seem to have the books I'm interested in (I made sure that the "What region are you in" was set to Canada). From switching in between regions I can see that the US has about 1 million ebooks and the Canada has about 800k available. So, I'm assuming the threads that I came across were older and that the Canadian library has expanded?
Yes, the Amazon bookstore is expanding rapidly in all countries.

Quote:
3. Is it possible to purchase the ebooks on my laptop and then copy them unto my kindle via USB, without ever having to login to my amazon account on my kindle? I'm a bit paranoid about having my CC info on my kindle if it is stolen or something...
[/quote]

Your credit card information is NOT stored on the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
2. I'm in Canada and I've seen some books not available, but quite frankly the selection of books that ARE available is so huge that it's not really a problem as far as I'm concerned. Plus sometimes other eBook stores may have that book you really want available in Canada, and the format is compatible with the Kindle. Also I noticed that sometimes the book is not available in Canada right upon release, but it is shortly after - it's a matter of distribution rights and sometimes not all is settled at the same time. I think the new book from Games of Thrones was not available in Canada for a few days after released, then all of a sudden, no such restriction.

3. As the others have said, your credit card information is not kept on the Kindle.
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

What I do is add the Card to the normal place for Amazon purchases not on the Manage Your Kindle page. It asks me each time I buy a book to use my card. This keeps me from accidentally purchasing a book which I have done in the past, I also have 1 click buying off. You wont be able to purchase books from your Kindle this way but you can buy from Amazon's website any Kindle book.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
skrr
skrr began at the beginning.

Device: none
One more question, is the $79 dollar available instore at bestbuy now? Also, is it available at any other physical store other than best buy?
skrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
One more question, is the $79 dollar available instore at bestbuy now? Also, is it available at any other physical store other than best buy?
I believe it's available in-store. I think I saw that price on the display when I went in the other day. As far as other stores go...not sure.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If it is available at Best Buy it should also be available at Target and Walmart. It might be available at Staples.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote