Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #46
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I forgot about this one.

"My Side of the Mountain" it really captured my imagination and I wanted my own hawk. I was sure that I could run away and live on a mountain if I had to. I think it was made into a movie as well.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #47
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
the ones i've forgotten about are those , I think in a series , where the story line is something to do with buffalos , but can't for the life of any remaining brain cell remember much more .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #48
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Both series were "re-written" in the 1950s to update them and make them more "politically correct" - the original books had very negative and stereotypical portrayals of black and chinese characters, for example - but were drastically shortened and the plots simplified in the process, it being apparently felt that, by the mid 1950s, teenagers would be put off by 300-page books. Most "fans" consider the "original" versions of the books to be enormously superior to the re-writes. I suspect that it would have been the re-writes that you would have read.
Interesting... thanks for the info. So... anyway to get the originals? I would be interested in reading one just to compare.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #49
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Black Beauty was an odd book I thought, I just remember the sad bits.

It was also very controversial in South Africa believe it or not. The draconian censorship board that guarded the morals of the country banned all material deemed to be unsavory or that posed a risk to the countries security. I am not sure which of those 2 categories Black Beauty was deemed to represent but apparently the censor board never read the book and mistakenly believed it to be the tale of a black beauty queen. In apartheid South Africa that was enough to get the book banned until the board were informed of their error. Apparently beautiful black horses were acceptable but beautiful black women were not. Oh yes, You just have to love the "good old days".
I've said it before and I'm saying it again - I'm lucky to live in the U.S.A. I have a problem with censorship and would probably have spent my life in jail if I'd been born somewhere else. Hearing your story makes me realize how much I take "freedom of speech" for granted. I hope things have gotten better in the last decade or so for you.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Interesting... thanks for the info. So... anyway to get the originals? I would be interested in reading one just to compare.

BOb
A company called "Applewood Books" reprinted excellent fascimilies of the original versions of the first dozen or so "Hardy Boys" books a few years ago. I'm not sure if they're still in print, but they're easy to get 2nd hand on Amazon, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #51
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
And then there's the child's book about a native girl left alone on an island with dolphins for friends. Don't recall the title, but I think it's still considered a classic.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #52
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
And then there's the child's book about a native girl left alone on an island with dolphins for friends. Don't recall the title, but I think it's still considered a classic.
This one? http://www.amazon.com/Music-Dolphins.../dp/0590897985
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A company called "Applewood Books" reprinted excellent fascimilies of the original versions of the first dozen or so "Hardy Boys" books a few years ago. I'm not sure if they're still in print, but they're easy to get 2nd hand on Amazon, etc.
To follow up, I've checked and they're out of print, but easy enough to get. See, for example, here.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #54
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Actually, no, not that one. This one:
http://www.amazon.com/Island-Blue-Do...dp/0440940001/
"Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott ODell. Text says it was based on a true story. I don't think I knew that!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #55
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To follow up, I've checked and they're out of print, but easy enough to get. See, for example, here.
Thanks... This is interesting:

by Franklin W Dixon (Author), Leslie McFarlane (Introduction)

BOb
Old 05-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Intersting document here that list original authors and re-write authors.

http://www.keeline.com/Hardy_Boys.pdf

BOb
Old 05-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #57
jmorton
Connoisseur
jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I was a big fan of The Lemonade Trick, by Scott Corbett, and Space Cat, by Ruthven Todd. Both were illustrated by Paul Galdone, who seems to have illustrated my childhood. During my pre-teen years, I became a big fan of Henry Gregor Felsen, who wrote several books about teenagers, cars, and the dangers of driving badly. They had titles like Hot Rod, Road Rocket, and Crash Club, to name just a few. They were weird mixtures of juvenalia and gore. The other book that comes to mind is Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, which holds up better than the rest of the aforementioned books.
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #58
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I have to add "The Mouse and the Motorcyle", by Beverly Cleary.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #59
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just remembered one of my first books, given to me for Christmas by Mum & Dad (I only believed in Santa Claus insofar as believing in Santa Claus cheered my parents, which thus cheered me, which thus meant we were all happy and I got more presents). Anyway, the book was Rusty, the Nimble Numbat. Oh, look, ebay has one for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=260211489912

I enjoyed that one. I'm not sure where it is, but probably still somewhere at Mum's place (she never chucks anything out).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:53 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Intersting document here that list original authors and re-write authors.

http://www.keeline.com/Hardy_Boys.pdf

BOb
That's very interesting - thanks. I hadn't actually realised that so many of the re-writes were completely new stories rather than "edits" of the originals.