Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Audio Book App

I have the Audible app and love it for reading my Audible.com books. I have other books I'd like to listen to on my iPhone. Right now I listen to them via the built in "iPod" app. Thing is, it's not really well suited for the long works of an audio book.

Just this morning I accidentally hit the back button when meaning to hit the pause button. It's difficult to fast scrub back to a particular position in an audiobook that's hours long. And there's no way to set a book mark.

Thoughts?

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I get to answer my own question. The app "Bookmark" does the trick nicely. It will play the audiobooks that are loaded into your iPod app. Has book marks, much better skip forward/backward features. Has a sleep timer which is nice, but I've got along fine with the built in timer app.

The back button goes back 30 seconds, not all the way to the beginning of the book.

About the only deficiencies I see is it has no double speed or half speed reading options. Not a big deal to me, but the lack is surprising in a dedicated audio book app.
Also, it's not free, it's $2.99 which seems pricey compared to what it does and what so many other apps do for the price.

Still, for me, it's worth it.

Lee
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Never noticed that my Music app didn't have bookmarks in Audiobooks. I just hit stop and play and it always picks up where I left off.

Glad you found one that works for you.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I use an app called Speed-Up for audio books that are mp3 format. Overdrive is offerring audio books in MP3 and also if I rip from a DVD I can put the mp3s via I-tune software right into my IPhone. It allows speed control ( I almost always advance playback speed to 1.25 or more for Brittish narrators), finger swipes to go forward or backwards 30 -60-90 seconds or pause. It also has a nice scrubber and I believe, sleep timer. Also it's free.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Never noticed that my Music app didn't have bookmarks in Audiobooks. I just hit stop and play and it always picks up where I left off.

Glad you found one that works for you.
It's when you accidentally hit the back button and it goes five hours back that you wish you could have set a bookmark

Lee
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It's when you accidentally hit the back button and it goes five hours back that you wish you could have set a bookmark

Lee
This is why itunes breaks audio books into smaller segments and has features to make file to file changes seamless. Having 3 minute files basically solves the problem. Audible has special features to divide one file into chapters for this same reason.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote