Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #556
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
10 books and 16 days left. Anyone else taking it down to the wire?
I'm closer to the wire than I expected to be. I'm at 145/150, and my current book (#146) is a steampunk omnibus that Adobe clocks at about 800 pages. The combination of the Victorian-style writing and a general lack of time have made this one take rather longer than I expected. However, I'm about three-quarters of the way through it and have some vacation time coming up after Friday.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #557
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
This brings up an interesting question Bob, your steampunk omnibus, how do you handle a ominbus as one novel or multiple novels? I have read some omnibus novels in the past and I typically count the individual novels rather than the omnibus as a whole.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #558
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
I finished my challange for this year a couple of weeks ago (didn't quite update the list in the list thread, but will do shortly).

Is there already a 2014 thread?
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #559
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
Is there already a 2014 thread?
I'm sure there will be, sometime between Christmas and New Year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #560
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Having failed my challenge this year in quite spectacular fashion (my challenge to myself was to buy no more than 120 ebooks in 2013. I've alredy bought 239...), I'm pondering what target to set myself next year. Perhaps a financial one.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #561
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I count Omnibuses as separate books, too.

Collections are one book.

Omnibuses of collections might be separate books as long as they are presented as an Omnibus (like the Sherlock Holmes omnibuses here on MR), but not if it is a different organisation of the material (like the Complete Poirot Short Stories I bought).

Collections which mix books and short stories kind of depend what mood I am in when I add them to my database, and which is predominant.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #562
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I count omnibuses as separate books and anthologies as one. If I read a stand-alone novella I count it as one.

Good luck with your challenge Rev Bob!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #563
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
How do you add those little spoiler windows?
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #564
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
How do you add those little spoiler windows?
Click the "Go Advanced" button beneath the reply box, then select the spoiler button (an eye with a red cross through it) and put what you want spoilered between the spoiler tags.

Alternatively, you can just type "spoiler" (then your message) and "/spoiler", replacing the " with square brackets [].
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #565
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
This brings up an interesting question Bob, your steampunk omnibus, how do you handle a ominbus as one novel or multiple novels? I have read some omnibus novels in the past and I typically count the individual novels rather than the omnibus as a whole.
One ISBN (or Goodreads entry), one book. I mainly use Goodreads to track my reading, and I specifically use their challenge widget to set my goal, so it only makes sense to enter my books into that library.

In the long run, it all balances out, as I read some graphic novels and self-published short stories (like Seanan McGuire's InCryptid prequel series). Further, in this specific case, the omnibus includes a couple of short stories along with the three novels, so I'd have to find a way to account for those if I split it up.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #566
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
One ISBN (or Goodreads entry), one book.
Sometimes there is more than one ISBN in the Omnibus, so you can split it into individual books, but I know what you are saying

Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #567
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Sometimes there is more than one ISBN in the Omnibus, so you can split it into individual books, but I know what you are saying

Technically this is untrue; an omnibus has its own ISBN, which is different from those assigned to the original versions of the individual books that constitute it. And, yes, in some cases it is feasible to split it back up; I did that when I bought a four-book omnibus earlier this year that included two books I'd read in paper and a third that I'd bought electronically. I kept an archive, of course, but I split it into the four books for reading. I also updated my Goodreads library accordingly, "converting" the first two and adding the fourth. Yes, that does leave me with two e-copies of the third book, but given the pricing, I don't mind that.

To me, it all boils down to how I'm going to read it. I've got a four-book omnibus in my Ent cemetery that I can't just physically split into four pieces; it's one volume that I'll read and count as one book, and that's how I handle all my physical books. The electronic omnibus I just referred to is one volume that I've split and will handle as four books, but I've got another (3-in-1) that is made up of short novels, so I probably won't bother going through the trouble of splitting it up. I still haven't decided whether I want to bother splitting a couple of others, and it'll probably come down to how the EPUBs are structured and how easy it is to find the cover images.

Like I said, it all balances out in the long run anyway, so I don't sweat it too much.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #568
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I think the Ryu Murakami novel would fit what you read very well.
I am nearly half way through Audition by Murakami and enjoying it, even though I am finding the writing a little basic (may be a problem in translation?). I have a strong sense of deja vu whilst reading it - I think I may have seen the film (assuming there is one...Google up next, I think).
Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #569
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Click the "Go Advanced" button beneath the reply box, then select the spoiler button (an eye with a red cross through it) and put what you want spoilered between the spoiler tags.

Alternatively, you can just type "spoiler" (then your message) and "/spoiler", replacing the " with square brackets [].
A tip: you can write out tags in messages by putting "[noparse]...[/noparse]" tags around them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #570
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A tip: you can write out tags in messages by putting "[noparse]...[/noparse]" tags around them.
Sounds interesting, but what is it supposed to do? I just did a test and it still showed the text between the noparse statements in plain view.