Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
ng7apoc
ng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo (Pre-Ordered!)
New Kobo Glo and Mini release delayed?

Hi,

I've just received an email from Play.com stating that the Kobo Mini I had pre-ordered for my sister has had its release date changed to the 1st November!

The Play.com website is also showing the Glo as being released on the 1st November now.

Having looked the WHSmith website they list the Glo and Mini still as 1st October and my own pre-order with WHSmith for a Glo hasn't changed.

Is this simply a case of Play.com not getting stock in until after WHSmith or have Kobo delayed the UK launch? Perhaps SameerH can confirm?
ng7apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
trevormorse
Enthusiast
trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I think this may be UK specific. My pre-ordered Kobo GLO from chapters here in Canada shipped yesterday.
trevormorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
mrmoo
mrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
My WHS pre-order says ready to ship.
mrmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
My WHS order shipped yesterday (Friday)
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

I went to WHS Smith yesterday to chat to their kobo representative and he showed me a stack of around 20 glo's, ready for Monday. So the play.com thing is probably a mistake.
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Well in the U.S. the Kobo site still say's "coming soon" as well as Best Buy with no way to pre-order at either site, so I don't expect Kobo will be shipping to the U.S. anytime soon.

It's just outrageous to treat U.S. buyers this way!
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Well in the U.S. the Kobo site still say's "coming soon" as well as Best Buy with no way to pre-order at either site, so I don't expect Kobo will be shipping to the U.S. anytime soon.

It's just outrageous to treat U.S. buyers this way!
I would not call it outrageous, but it is certainly short-sighted. There are a lot of people on the fence over the Glo vs. Kindle PW. If the Glo it is not in stores when the Kindle PW appears, then many will just go with the PW. Their marketing strategy is almost as weak as Sony's.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Best Buy US has also removed the listing for the Kobo Mini entirely, while the Glo still shows "Coming Soon".
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Consider this--the shops that have it as pre-orders and ready to go are Kobo "partners". Kobo's US partner was Borders. I imagine if you are trying to provide an incentive to actually be a partner, early access to new devices might be part of the picture. This is just my opinion, but it seems to make a certain amount of sense .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I have to wonder if people should maybe check their Independent Book stores... See http://bookweb.org/solutions/Kobo.html for info on Kobo and the American Booksellers Association.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
ng7apoc
ng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo (Pre-Ordered!)
Guess its not a mistake as they sent out another email today stating the same thing!

My order with WHSmith says its "ready to send" so hopefully on Monday it will be posted. Will now be cancelling with Play.com and ordering my Sisters Mini from WHSmith.

I understand official partners getting stock first or getting more units but whats strange about Play.com not getting stock until the 1st November is that its owned by Rakuten, the same company that bought Kobo recently.
ng7apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you notice, you also cannot buy or order them on the kobobooks.com site. They appear to really be giving partners the first shot.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Dekadez
Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In Belgium there's not even a single store that has any idea as to when the new Kobo devices will be available.

Too bad really, I was really looking forward to purchasing my first e-reader today. One more month then...
Dekadez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #14
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
In Belgium there's not even a single store that has any idea as to when the new Kobo devices will be available.

Too bad really, I was really looking forward to purchasing my first e-reader today. One more month then...
Are you sure the Glo is even due to turn up in Belgium? Kobo site only states UK, Germany, Austria, Netherlands, France, Spain and Italy for its European release countries...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
Dekadez
Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Are you sure the Glo is even due to turn up in Belgium? Kobo site only states UK, Germany, Austria, Netherlands, France, Spain and Italy for its European release countries...
Several webshops have the product listed in their assortment. Whether they are linked to a dutch affiliate/mother is something else, but their extension is .be nonetheless
Dekadez is offline   Reply With Quote