Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
ok, got ya

the point is that in order to resize the data partition you have to

1.) shrink reader partition which is a primary partition at the _end_ of the disk
2.) enlarge extended partion which is the third partition of the disk
3.) move system partition to the end of the extended partition
4.) enlarge data partition

so you're right - no backups / restoring necessary, as long as your partition tool is able to resize / move the stuff around
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #17
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Sony PRS-350 Nook Touch Glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
ok, got ya

1.) shrink reader partition which is a primary partition at the _end_ of the disk

so you're right - no backups / restoring necessary, as long as your partition tool is able to resize / move the stuff around
Simongee, please let us know if you succeed in this operation. I will try too, thanks
ewandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
simongee
T1 rooter
simongee doesn't littersimongee doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
ok, got ya

@uboot
I did a full backup with rupor's method before i started.
Then i have done exactly those steps. But there is a problem
I used Paragon Partition Manager.
1) shrunk the READER partition -> ok
2) enlarge extended partition -> ok
3) move system partition to the end of extended -> ok
4) enlarge data partition -> fail...
tool wasnt able to do that, so i deleted data and recreated new ext4 partition exactly where the old one was, but with a new size. Labeled it "data". But it was empty now. So i thought about you telling me:
Quote:
data partition and reader partition do not have to be restored. uppon boot, the reader will re-initialize them
so i rebooted, but reader wouldnt boot up. So i used the sd-recovery pack. After that the reader booted fine.
All fine, just as before, so i rooted again.
Now here is the problem:
The reader still thinks /data / phone storage is 48 MB...
When i boot to recovery and look at the partitions of the reader in Paragon it shows the correct new size. But on the reader i cant use the full size?
Any idea why?
simongee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #19
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

i suspect you didn't format the data partition to ext4 after resizing. it is not enough to set the file system type in partition table. partition has to be formated as well.

which sd recovery did you use? mine? or porkupans?

porkupans will flash 48mb data partition, but can be resized to partition boundary with resize2fs from recovery console (you have to download that tool).

mine will format data partition (and reader partition, so beware!)
Old 05-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
simongee
T1 rooter

YES! GOT IT!

again thank u uboot, you were exactly right. I just created new /data (ext4) partition, but didnt format it... i was somehow assuming it would be already formated as ext4 after creating it.
So for u guys that want to try this too, i would like to add that i dont know anything about linux. I was able to do this without typing one single command into any console.
JUST DONT MESS WITH ANY OTHER PARTITION THAN READER, /data, /system
If u read this thread and have some experience with partitions under windows, this is totally doable. So here is what i did after my last post and uboot told me about formating the new partition:

1) restored my backup i had made with rupor's method (tool: Roadkil's Disk Image)
2) connected to pc in recovery mode
3) this time i didnt use Paragon Free Edition. It was really annoying me as it was only doing stuff after rebooting the pc every time. So i switched to MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.1 (from here: http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html)
4) shrink READER partition (keep it at the end of the drive, creating free space between READER and /system)
5) move /system to the end of extended partition. Now there is free space between /data and /system)
6) tool cant enlarge /data to the beginning of /system, which is what i wanted to do. So i deleted /data and created new ext4 partition in the space that is now free. Labeled it "data". Then FORMATED it as "ext4"
7) Now /data is empty. I tried to reboot. Reader wouldnt boot up
8) Tried uboot's new 1.04 sd recovery. Didnt work.

@uboot
It didnt work. Just as the 1st time i tried it. Reader stuck in "opening book" screen forever. I waited 2 hours, sd still blinking, no rebooting... So i pressed "reset"... Luckily it did nothing at all. I was really afraid pressing reset while led still blinking. Also no log file created... Something is wrong with it maybe? did u try it urself?

9) So i used "PRS-T1_SD_UPDATER_1.0.04.12210" by amutin from here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22502
10) reader booted up fine. Rooted again using rupors package. BUT after checking "phone storage" under settings, still only 48 MB on /data But now i knew why! The sd-recovery flashed the old /data partition back which is 48 MB.
11) So back to recovery/Partitioning tool. TBH i dont really understand why this next thing worked. I formated /data again using "format partition" in the tool. But after formating, only the size changed and there was still data on it. So i rebooted and BAM, reader asked for initial settings. Root still there. "Phone storage" 520 MB.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #21
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thank you simongee, could you report all the steps (without the problems, you meet) so any other can repeat the repartition
Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
jet322
jet322 began at the beginning.

Exclamation I'm missing somethin'

Hey, all. This seems like an appropriate place to put this. Sooo, I wanna make my /data partition bigger, but when I connect my reader 2 the PC in recovery, the device manager only shows "Gadget Serial". It doesn't show "RNDIS". :-( I deleted the DLLs in the "SETTING" part thru Root Explorer, a loong time ago when I didn't know what I was doing... I just wanted to get rid of "Low on storage space" message. Plz
Also, Rupor's AMR bricks my reader.
jet322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
jet322
jet322 began at the beginning.

Unhappy HOW!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongee View Post
YES! GOT IT!

9) So i used "PRS-T1_SD_UPDATER_1.0.04.12210" by amutin from here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22502

10) reader booted up fine. Rooted again using rupors package. BUT after checking "phone storage" under settings, still only 48 MB on /data But now i knew why! The sd-recovery flashed the old /data partition back which is 48 MB.
11) So back to recovery/Partitioning tool. TBH i dont really understand why this next thing worked. I formated /data again using "format partition" in the tool. But after formating, only the size changed and there was still data on it. So i rebooted and BAM, reader asked for initial settings. Root still there. "Phone storage" 520 MB.
How'd you know what to do? The app is in Russian, the instructions are poorly translated, what should the folder on the root of the microSD be named? All I get is "Opening Book..." the light on the mSD card slot isn't even flashing. I don't see the "Updating..." thing! :-(
jet322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #24
simongee
T1 rooter

@ewandeep
Quote:
Thank you simongee, could you report all the steps (without the problems, you meet) so any other can repeat the repartition
that was my plan
As I wrote in the first post i want to add it ro the wiki when i am sure...
well i managed to do it, there is just one, two questions i still have, so if uboot answers me, i will write it up in this thread and finally, when its approved, add it to the wiki...
Well actually there is only one thing. Uboot made a sd recovery package that should format the created empty /data partition and fill it with the files needed. But it didnt work for me, so i used another one. If it had worked, all would be clear to me...
But anyway, if u read through this thread u should be already able to do it right away, if not ask me whats unclear to u. I will try to help

I will repeat my question, so uboot sees it:
@uboot
sd recovery didnt work. Reader stuck in "opening book" screen forever. I waited 2 hours, sd still blinking, no rebooting... So i pressed "reset"... Luckily it did nothing at all. I was really afraid pressing reset while led still blinking. Also no log file created... Something is wrong with it maybe? did u try it urself?
@uboot
any idea about the step 11) i posted in post #20? why didnt it delete the files like formating should do?

@jet322
Quote:
Hey, all. This seems like an appropriate place to put this. Sooo, I wanna make my /data partition bigger, but when I connect my reader 2 the PC in recovery, the device manager only shows "Gadget Serial". It doesn't show "RNDIS". :-( I deleted the DLLs in the "SETTING" part thru Root Explorer, a loong time ago when I didn't know what I was doing... I just wanted to get rid of "Low on storage space" message. Plz
hi!
which dlls u talking about? which "SETTING" part? And u got the "low on storage" message when u wanted to install apps, right? Which state is ur reader currently in? Is it rooted? which package did u use? which firmware are u on? Does it boot up normally?
Provide answers to these questions and i think i can help u

Last edited by simongee; 05-22-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #25
ewandeep
Zealot

I follow the procedure, but now my sony prs-t1 is stucked.
I can only access to recovery state /Home+menu) and going to serial.
What can I do?
Here more details:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...74#post2092574
Old 05-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #26
simongee
T1 rooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewandeep View Post
I follow the procedure, but now my sony prs-t1 is stucked.
I can only access to recovery state /Home+menu) and going to serial.
What can I do?
Here more details:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...74#post2092574
can you please explain what u did to the reader that it is in such a state?
Did u do a backup how its explained here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22502 ?
If u did a backup, just restore it.
Did u manage to access your reader with a partition tool while it was in recovery? did u repartition anything? could u please list the steps u have done in the order u have done them? Then i can maybe explain what went wrong
Old 06-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #27
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
I did step by step guide with screenshots on how to repartition device simply. Eventually somebody (may be even me) will do a proper translation - for now here is Google translate.

I hope this could be used to prevent problems...
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #28
simongee
T1 rooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
I did step by step guide with screenshots on how to repartition device simply. Eventually somebody (may be even me) will do a proper translation - for now here is Google translate.

I hope this could be used to prevent problems...
Wow! Thank you rupor!
I was too busy to write up my step-by-step guide that i promised
But anyway you did a much better job than i would have done, so
I went over it and it seems to be easily understandable using google translate. But still, if anyone wants to repartition their device and isnt sure about some steps, just feel free to ask here! Its always better to ask BEFORE, than AFTER u did something with ur partitions, as it can brick your reader.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:10 AM   #29
e-ink
partly refreshed
e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: It's a Sony :P prs-t1
Quote:

gparted does that!
I used it on knoppix-7.0.3 live dvd AFTER making a full dd disk image)
e-ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #30
uboot
Evangelist

I know I just pointed out the necessary steps....

And if you read the complete thread, you'll find out that you can do a repartitioning of the T1 with Windows tools, too.