Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #16
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
My husband and I both have the wifi model with the latest firmware (we gave our original Kobos to our 8 year old twin daughters, so we do have those as well) and page turns are pretty zippy on the wifi. It's not instantaneous, but it's less than one second. FWIW, I don't use the Kobo desktop to sync my ebooks. I download to ADE and either sideload through that program or Calibre.

Last edited by Suzanna; 12-30-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Page turns on my original Kobo became truly long..several seconds...after I upgraded the firmware to 1.8. I did a factory reset and reloaded my books and page turns are now back to where they were before, it seems.

When reading on the Kobo I do get into the habit of clicking a couple of lines before I reach the end. I have to recalibrate my mind when I switch to the Kindle, which has virtually instanteous page turns.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #18
Roadbug
Bookworm
Roadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Original Kobo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
I use the original Kobo with the latest upgrade to the firmware. Page turns are really fast (less than 1 sec).
Roadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The new wifi is faster than the original, but come on!!! how long does it take to turn pages in a pbook.....a lot longer and your arm gets tired
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
The new wifi is faster than the original, but come on!!! how long does it take to turn pages in a pbook.....a lot longer and your arm gets tired
agreed
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #21
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
And that doesn't even count the time it takes to lick your finger.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #22
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
FWIW, I don't use the Kobo desktop to sync my ebooks. I download to ADE and either sideload through that program or Calibre.
This is interesting, because I noticed this as well. The books loaded through the Borders/Kobo Desktop are undeniably slower to open and to change chapters than the same books loaded through ADE or through other channels.

So, the prosecution may wish to avoid Borders/Kobo Desktop syncs.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #23
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
This is interesting, because I noticed this as well. The books loaded through the Borders/Kobo Desktop are undeniably slower to open and to change chapters than the same books loaded through ADE or through other channels.

So, the prosecution may wish to avoid Borders/Kobo Desktop syncs.
Weird, I would swear that the desktop'ed books turn/load faster than the ADE'd books.
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #24
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
The Kobo 1 is limited by the hardware. Back when I had one it was painfully slow but manageable for books. You just pressed the button a few words ahead. With the Kobo Wifi the page turns are much faster, but again due to hardware advancements.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #25
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoda View Post
Weird, I would swear that the desktop'ed books turn/load faster than the ADE'd books.
I didn't mention page turns because those feel about the same, either way.

It's all just subjective perceptions.

Last edited by Anthem; 01-06-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #26
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
Page turns on my Kobo wifi are pretty quick. If I hit the button before the last word on the page, I have to back up because it turns too quickly. (For some reason, I keep doing that ... hitting that button too early and needing to back up.)
Same here.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #27
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
This all sounds really weird, like there's no consensus on how the kobo behaves: Kobo1 was slow, then got faster with 1.8 - Kobo1 was fine, then 1.8 screwed it up - Kobo2 takes three seconds to flip page - Kobo2 flips page in under one second...

So, windows, I don't think you're the only one who's bothered by the slow page turns- there are others who've mentioned it before- but not everyone with the same kobo and firmware as yours has that issue. Wonder what's going on.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #28
Taesoo Kwon
Enthusiast
Taesoo Kwon doesn't litterTaesoo Kwon doesn't litter

Device: Kobo wifi
Kobo is certainly significantly slower compared to other major ebook readers.
(I cannot turn more than 8 pages in 10 second on my Kobo wifi.)
This speed is fine for reading novels, but is not for reading technical articles or manga. I hope Kobo patches this issue.

Last edited by Taesoo Kwon; 01-20-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Taesoo Kwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #29
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
So, windows, I don't think you're the only one who's bothered by the slow page turns- there are others who've mentioned it before- but not everyone with the same kobo and firmware as yours has that issue. Wonder what's going on.
Part of the reason that there are so many different experiences may be that it is not just a matter of device/firmware version. Kepub and ePUB books do not always behave the same way in terms of page turns. Preloaded books contained within the sqlite Db and preloaded books stored in the reader as kepub do not behave in the same way. Changes between chapters are slower than changes within chapters.

IMO, the only way we would really know is to be using the same book, loaded onto the reader in the same format and timed with a fair amount of precision.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #30
windowsrefund
Connoisseur
windowsrefund began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post

IMO, the only way we would really know is to be using the same book, loaded onto the reader in the same format and timed with a fair amount of precision.
Sure, that might be interesting but it's not a fix. I've mentioned on several occassions that the correct way to fix this is to cache both the previous and next page. Why has no developer addressed this perfectly logical recommendation? The most feedback we've received on this specific issue is that chapters are cached. Of course, from a pragmatic perspective, caching chapters is pretty worthless because people are not scrolling through them. In fact, chapter caching is only going to slow down the overall end user experience simply because it's a bigger job that takes more system resources.

So the fix is simple. Cache both previous and next page as a background task when the current page has been loaded for a few seconds (this means the page's contents are being read).
windowsrefund is offline   Reply With Quote