Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-29-2024, 10:41 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Colour Kobo ereaders Available 30th April

Kobo announced earlier this month that they would be releasing Kobo models using the E-Ink Kaleido 3 colour screens on 30th April.

There will be two colour models:
  • The Kobo Libra Colour with a 7" screen
  • The Kobo Clara Colour with a 6" screen

There will also be a new 6" B&W model, the Kobo Clara BW

UK page
US page
Canada page
EU page

The 6" Kobo Clara Colour will be £139.99, $149.99, CAD$179.99, €159.99
The 7" Kobo Libra Colour will be £199.99, $219.99, CAD$249.99, €229.99

See discussion here and here.

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-02-2024 at 07:20 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 01:10 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
You know, I think I'll get a Clara Color for my kid. She's started reading more since she discovered teen romance books.

For myself, I'd prefer the Clara BW. But to a twelve year old, I think the color will matter more than it should.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:08 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You know, I think I'll get a Clara Color for my kid. She's started reading more since she discovered teen romance books.

For myself, I'd prefer the Clara BW. But to a twelve year old, I think the color will matter more than it should.
I think you should get the Clara BW first and then let her see if she'd want one. When she's reading text, the screen is going to be darker on the Clara color. I don't think color will matter on a 6" screen. It might matter more on the Libra Color.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:26 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think you should get the Clara BW first and then let her see if she'd want one. When she's reading text, the screen is going to be darker on the Clara color.
Already have a Clara HD and 2E in the house.

Quote:
I don't think color will matter on a 6" screen. It might matter more on the Libra Color.
I do not disagree with your points. They are valid. But then, neither of us is a 13 year old* girl.

*Her birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. She didn't ask for a reader, I'm just throwing one in since she has shown an increase in reading interest.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:24 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

When you get it for her and if she let's you compare it to your black and white Claras, I would be curious to see how the color screen (in black and white "mode") would stand up. Supposedly they're both 300 dpi, I think.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:10 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
When you get it for her and if she let's you compare it to your black and white Claras, I would be curious to see how the color screen (in black and white "mode") would stand up. Supposedly they're both 300 dpi, I think.
Oh sure. When I get one, I'll take pics and compare. But I'm no master photographer. My Clara HD and 2E look the same in my photos, though with the naked eye there is a notable difference. Phone cameras are too helpful sometimes.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-29-2024 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:28 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Oh sure. When I get one, I'll take pics and compare. But I'm no master photographer. My Clara HD and 2E look the same in my photos, though with the naked eye there is a notable difference. Phone cameras are too helpful sometimes.
I understand. I've tried to take pictures showing the different levels of orange or amber in eReaders and it never comes across when using my smartphone camera.

Your impression of the quality of the screen would be helpful, however.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 03:38 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I understand. I've tried to take pictures showing the different levels of orange or amber in eReaders and it never comes across when using my smartphone camera.
Most smartphone cameras attempt to improve your photos by modifying colour balance towards neutral. My all time favourite was one person who took a photo of their white cockapoo on their red bedspread. The bedspread didn't look too bad as a dull red but the cockapoo was a lovely light cyan.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 03:51 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Most smartphone cameras attempt to improve your photos by modifying colour balance towards neutral. My all time favourite was one person who took a photo of their white cockapoo on their red bedspread. The bedspread didn't look too bad as a dull red but the cockapoo was a lovely light cyan.
Years ago CNET TV had a presenter (Molly Wood) with a segment "Auto-incorrect". That would qualify (even tho the segment really was about text message mis-correction)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:03 PM   #10
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Well, there's also the problem that front lights are discrete spectrum and not a nice "black body" spectrum.
In such a case, the human eye is really the final judge of what color it is.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 04:22 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Open Camera App allows turning off Autowhite balance and using manal settings. A must for comparative photos. This is also why an old DSLR, even with less than 20 Mpixel, can be far better than a 40M+ phone camera.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:49 AM   #12
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I was just thinking last night that my old kobo is a bit long in the tooth, and maybe it was time for a new epub reader. I don't think I have much use for colour, but perhaps I should try one of these for science.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:54 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
...perhaps I should try one of these for science.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:01 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I just go with "Shiny new toy! Must have!'. Perhaps magpie blood?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 05:08 PM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I just go with "Shiny new toy! Must have!'. Perhaps magpie blood?
Tell me when you discover it, as I have the same reaction,
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote