Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Jamz
Jamz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre crashes in windows on startup

Hi, I'm new to Calibre but it looks awesome and can't wait to try it! (New to ebook readers as well, still waiting on my Kindle 3 to arrive...)

So, after installing and trying to run it (normal and with admin rights) it crashes. I can get partially through the wizard or just sit there on the first screen and it always seems to crash about 5 seconds after starting.

via debug I got (Windows Vista x64):

[C:Program Files (x86)/Calibre2]|1> calibre-debug -g
tt_face_build_cmaps: broken cmap sub-table ignored!
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/._Cirrus.pfm'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/%Cirrus.pfm'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.AppleDouble/Cirrus.pfm'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/Cirrus.pfm/..namedfork/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/Cirrus.pfm/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/resource.frk/Cirrus.pfm'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.resource/Cirrus.pfm'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/._EN____.PFM'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/%EN____.PFM'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.AppleDouble/EN____.PFM'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/EN____.PFM/..namedfork/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/EN____.PFM/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/resource.frk/EN____.PFM'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.resource/EN____.PFM'

Thanks,
Jamz
Jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you need to remove the invalid files from your windows fonts folder. All the files listed in the error message do not belong in c:\windows\fonts
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
Jamz

None of those files exist in my fonts directory. Even using dir command in a cmd window, nothing close to these files exist, especially the sub directories.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
None of those files exist in my fonts directory. Even using dir command in a cmd window, nothing close to these files exist, especially the sub directories.
They exist or it wouldn't produce the error the way it did. I'm guessing they're hidden. In explorer go to Tools - Folder Options and unhide the files (See attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	folder_options.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	57427   Click image for larger version

Name:	folder_options -2.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	57429  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Jamz

I'm telling ya, they aren't there. And if they are there, windows isn't telling me...

I have Show Hidden and Show System files checked. I used Windows Explorer and it didn't show them. I used a CMD prompt with admin privliges and that's a no go. (I attached the results in a .txt file via dir > txtfile)

I even used the gnu ls -a command in a shell and they didn't show.

SO, how is calibre getting a list of files? Is it attempting to read the entire fonts directory? (if so, why?) Or is it maybe a registry thing?
Attached Files
File Type: txt fonts.txt (71.8 KB, 427 views)
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have had similar problems in two cases. The first isn't relevant, because you are not seeing messages about killtimers. The second is, I think. I have seen problems caused by bad fonts.

The message "tt_face_build_cmaps: broken cmap sub-table ignored!" indicates that you have a truetype font installed that contains an invalid character mapping table. Calibre is discovering this font during font enumeration, but unfortunately the message is printed by the truetype library, and (as we see) it does not tell us *which* font. My impression is that once the font enumerator runs into a bad font, it never properly recovers.

I see from your fonts.txt that you have a lot of extra .ttf fonts installed. Unfortunately, one or more of these is probably bad. The 'right' approach is to restore the windows font directory to its original set, then add fonts back until you find the one that is broken. Another approach is to create a VM with a clean Windows install. Both have their drawbacks.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I'm telling ya, they aren't there. And if they are there, windows isn't telling me...

SO, how is calibre getting a list of files? Is it attempting to read the entire fonts directory? (if so, why?) Or is it maybe a registry thing?
It certainly seems as if you have touched all the bases. Try looking for some of the mystery files via search of the C drive. I recall a similar problem but I can find the thread at this time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
Jamz

Well, I downloaded a font management program and it only found one issue (a registry problem).

And windows really sucks with fonts (you can't just cut/paste fonts out of the windows/fonts dir).

For now, I just edited the C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\fontconfig\fonts.conf and changed the path to the windows fonts and font cache dir and I can at least load Calibre now and play with it...
Old 09-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Windows keeps a list of fonts in the registry. By default, they are in the fonts directory, but there's no reason they have to be there, and some programs put them elsewhere, then put a pointer to them into the registry. Windows uses the registry list to tell programs about the font locations. I suggest you search your registry for fonts and you'll quickly find the list. The fonts that are listed there, but are not in the font directory stick out like a sore thumb due to the path info.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #10
Jamz

OK, got some more time to track down these bad fonts. I found and removed the Cirrus.pfm & EN____.PFM fonts and it's getting closer but still crashing with the following:

Starting up...
tt_face_build_cmaps: broken cmap sub-table ignored!
QObject::killTimers: timers cannot be stopped from another thread

Is this still a font problem? If so, how do I know which fonts?
Old 09-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update to the latest version of calibre, that should remove the killtimers problem
Old 09-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
Jamz

I'm already at 0.7.18. Do I need to do a reinstall?

And it must still be a bad font or something, if I comment out the fonts.conf config it loads up ok. Just don't know which font now

I have like 1300 fonts, is there limit in calibre or anything? (On x64 Vista, so no OS limit).
Old 09-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

As far as I know, calibre has no font limit, but I've never really tested that.