Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
ChrisByrd
ChrisByrd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
New to the forum, and (soon) eReaders

Just to say hello to everybody at the forum, which I've just discovered.

My wife and I are lifelong readers (over 55 years each, but we did start very young), and our house is consequently piled high with books. We'll probably never stop buying books, but have been tempted into pre-ordering a Kindle 3 from Amazon to cover our fiction needs.

I'm hoping to download a lot of free classics from Project Gutenberg, but will also buy some books through the Amazon store - I work in a charity bookshop, and some of the Amazon UK prices compare pretty well with the second hand book prices.

As far as I can tell Gutenberg books can be transferred to the Kindle, but can anybody confirm this? Also, is the Kindle a good choice? I definitely want a device that is primarily a book reader, and can use in sunlight, etc. I've already got an iPhone, so the iPad doesn't interest me. Also, how does using a device like the Kindle compare to reading on the iPhone? I've read the odd short story on this, but wouldn't like to use it for anything longer.

Any advice most welcome!

Chris
ChrisByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
As far as I can tell Gutenberg books can be transferred to the Kindle, but can anybody confirm this?
Yes, but I'd recommend checking out the ebooks uploaded here at mobileread. They're better formatted than the PG books. Up at the top of this page in the blue bar you'll see an "E-Books" button. You want the MOBI filetype.

Quote:
Also, is the Kindle a good choice? I definitely want a device that is primarily a book reader, and can use in sunlight, etc. I've already got an iPhone, so the iPad doesn't interest me. Also, how does using a device like the Kindle compare to reading on the iPhone? I've read the odd short story on this, but wouldn't like to use it for anything longer.
Well, "good" is a very subjective. The biggest 'issues' with the Kindle are that it's primarily tied to the Amazon store because it does not read ePub filetypes or non-Amazon DRM. I love my K2 and have no issues with it, aside from not being able to read ebooks from my local library system. The Kindle has a 30 day return policy (or it does in the U.S.), so I'd recommend trying it and returning it if you don't like it. It's a different experience from reading on an iPhone, and I think a much superior experience.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Sadly, I don't have my big book source post archived on this computer. However, aside from right here on MobileRead and PG, which you already know about, you might want to look into ManyBooks, Feedbooks, and (reluctantly) Munsey's. There's also the Internet Archive and Google Books, but the quality level there (badly OCR'd scans) is almost uniformly terrible.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Chris. I'd also recommend that you download the free Calibre software (developed by a member here, Kovid Goyal). Not only will this organise your inevitable virtual library, it wll convert from one ebook format to another at the tap of a key or two. Very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Chris - Welcome to mobileread ..... There's a couple of links to book stores in my signature line ....

Threads elsewhere on the Forum will help you decide, especially Which One Shall I buy

There's a matrix of readers in the Wiki - follow link from the top of the forum page ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome Chris!

No eBook reader is perfect for everyone, so I recommend that you take some time to do some research here before you plunk down your money.

Last year I spent five months researching before I decided which reader was best for me regarding both its functions and its price. Five months is longer than what most people spend, but I don't regret it, as I am still very content with my jetBook Lite, and don't feel the need to upgrade.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #10
ChrisByrd

Thanks to everybody for the welcomes, advice and links. Plenty to be looking at!

The Kindle isn't due for delivery for several weeks, so I'll do plenty of research in the meantime. Amazon do have a 30-day return in the UK, so I'll have time to try the Kindle out. I'll start by downloading Calibre.

Thanks again

Chris
Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello Chris and welcome to MobileRead. Hope you enjoy your Kindle when it arrives. Calibre is a great program!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
ChrisByrd

Thanks Javed - I've downloaded Calibre and it does indeed look excellent.

Chris
Old 08-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
elithea
elithea began at the beginning.

Device: nook
calibre funding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Good to have your company, Chris. I'd also recommend that you download the free Calibre software (developed by a member here, Kovid Goyal). Not only will this organise your inevitable virtual library, it wll convert from one ebook format to another at the tap of a key or two. Very best wishes. Neil
hi, i'm new here too! you're the first person i see that's mentioned calibre and i have a calibre question: how is calibre funded? is it solely by the paypal donation box or is there some other source? if the former, does that bring in enough to keep such an extensive program afloat? how much would be a typical donation?

i realize you don't know the answer to these, but somebody might and i can't seem to find out by cursory googling. there *is* a CALIBRE program funded by the EU that i found, but i can't tell by reading the linked paper whether the ebooks calibre is part of it or not...

i think calibre is fantastic and use it a lot. i feel i should donate but don't have much money. I always see those paypal donate buttons, but there never seems to be any further info on them; i think they'd be much more successful if there were some context and people had some clue what would be effective but not stupid, you know? anyway, thanks for the place for my first forum post!
elithea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Greetings and welcome to MR! I love my K2, and I've preordered the K3.

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@elithea: calibre is funded purely by donations (and ad revenue from the website). No amount is stupid, contribute as much (or as little) as you feel your budget will bear.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote