Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #61
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Ask yourself: would YOU want to compete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
now thats astonishing, then I really don't dare to ask myself how little they weighr EI, the European redistributor...
Dear Freeshadow:

Ask yourself, if you were starting a company would YOU want to compete against three entrenched behemoths who have 97% market share and so much money they could PAY consumers to take the device? That is why this market is not something the factories consider relevant!

Then, on top of this, we have these Mega-Department stores that demand 35% margin. This is not the case in Europe and certainly not in Russia. Russia purchases far more eBook Readers than the USA and competition is low. And, in Russia, most people have little to do BUT read!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 AM   #62
hch568
Enthusiast
hch568 began at the beginning.

Device: IPad2, EZRead Touch, Garmin-Asus M10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post

Amazon's cost to make the Kindle 2 is still at that point where the right price is likely $279. There were no savings in manufacturing cost and they are advertising like mad... but they are willing to lose $130 per device just to gain Market Share. It is not fair... but it is reality.
According to market research firm iSuppli Corporation's estimation(see here), Kindle 2's cost is about $185 ($60 for the E-Ink display screen). So Amazon is selling Kindle 2 without profit at this point, and I don't think their ad cost is high (it is already very popular around the world and got the most coverage at most news media). Amazon also has more market power (than its competitors) to negotiate a lower cost with its OEM/ODM upstream partners and also with their wireless(3G) downstream providers. And it sells Kindle internationally with just a few clicks. (Early this year, my friend bought her Kindle 2 in less than a minute and received her Kindle in a few days. She lives in eastern/rural part of Taiwan! And she enjoys free 3G service and less than 60 seconds of downloading a book from Amazon!)

I will not consider Kindle myself because its limited format-support and the restrictive DRM function. I'm looking forward to see 6" Pocket Pro Plus with dictionary support to come out because I like the format support of PP and other functions of PP. Hope you will stay in business and give Amazon or B&N a good competition!
hch568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 01:10 AM   #63
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by hch568 View Post
So Amazon is selling Kindle 2 without profit at this point
The thing is Amazon are able to do this as they have their ebook store tied to the reader. If Amazon sell a Kindle at no profit, as soon as someone goes and buys an ebook, 99.9% chance of it coming from Amazon and that is where they will make the money.

What needs to be realised is people may buy an ereader once every 2 years or so, and there is no way a company can make big money on one device, but people will buy numerous books over that 2 year period. That is where the money is to be made.

That said, people need to realise themselves that they will only buy an ereader every 2 years or so, and need to weigh up the instant $20 saving on buying something else vs pay the extra $20 and get a damn good reader that will have the reliability and flexibility for their reading needs for the next couple of years. For me (if I was buying one now) would not hesitate in paying the extra for an EZ Reader.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:49 AM   #64
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Robert, you mention an improved ebook store website. I have a suggestion: you need to indicate when the website is secure: I went to register, and there was no indication that the page was secure. I went to login, and there was no indication that the login was secure.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #65
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Robert, you mention an improved ebook store website. I have a suggestion: you need to indicate when the website is secure: I went to register, and there was no indication that the page was secure. I went to login, and there was no indication that the login was secure.
Yikes!

The reason it did not say it was Secure was only
http NOT https on the logon page.

That is why no "lock or Key" in the tray.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #66
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

The reason it did not say it was Secure was only
http NOT https on the logon page.

So is it secure?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #67
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So is it secure?
NO!
at the most basic level.

Your logon appears to be in the clear.

Any fool with a sniffer (anywhere on your network route) can grab your ID and password..
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #68
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Dear =X=:

We constantly strive to be the lowest. I am glad you found your eBooks in our store; and if you can PM me with the titles and authors I will look to see if we can cut the price!

I am very serious. We do try and we try hard. It all has to do with the cost to us!!

Do not forget, until July 5, you get one lottery ticket for each eBook you do buy... to win a new 6 inch Astak EZ Reader!

The odds are not bad at all!
Done!

A lot of stores claim to compete with Amazon prices but many fall short. FW came close but it did take effort from the client using BW, MicroRebates, and sales.

If you can even get close to Amazon's price I think you will have a great store front. Today there are a good amount of ePUB readers out there and having a store that can compete with Amazon will bring you lots of clientele.

One recommendation for your store is you add a Wish list for eBooks. I use this feature often and it is a great way to identify which books I want to buy at a latter date.

Best of Luck

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #69
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smile Thank you =X=

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Done!

A lot of stores claim to compete with Amazon prices but many fall short. FW came close but it did take effort from the client using BW, MicroRebates, and sales.

If you can even get close to Amazon's price I think you will have a great store front. Today there are a good amount of ePUB readers out there and having a store that can compete with Amazon will bring you lots of clientele.

One recommendation for your store is you add a Wish list for eBooks. I use this feature often and it is a great way to identify which books I want to buy at a latter date.

Best of Luck

=X=
Dear =X=:

Maybe I ought to talk to you about finance. We are looking up all the titles now to see what we can lower and what we can add.

I am VERY happy that you became a member and purchased!! That really cheers me. Also, I think you are a Sony device person and I really welcome you!!

The Wish List is a major want by several people including "cfrizz" who is on here often! The complete redesign of the website WILL have a full and automatic WishList on it. Thanks to cfrizz I have pushed this and it is a main building block of the redesign.

Right now we have hired a professional firm to do the redesign and the contract has been signed. Next week we expect to see three versions to see which one we would like to pursue. I will again ensure that the WishList and PayPal are the two biggest priorities... but I also want a warm and confortable site with a lot better search function.

I am also checking now on "secure" for the site.

I have my work cut out for me!!

Last edited by Robertb; 06-24-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #70
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I would really like to like Astak and its products. I keep coming back to this forum, and check out the Astak websites, and the ezread ebook store. Plus, Robert is a honey and don't you just wanna give him a great big group hug?

The reality is in the execution: a product / business evangelist eventually needs to be backed by his team. Sooner is better than later; later may be too late.

I will only speak of Canada. Finally, this winter, Astak is available (in theory, not necessarily on the shelves) at the largest electronic big box store. The problem: the price for the Mentor is $289 vs. $199 for the Sony 300 series and $249 for Sony 600 series and $159 for the Aluratek. Slightly savvy e-reader buyers can cross the mall and buy a Kobo at $149 from Chapters/Indigo, the national book store (think of Borders/Barnes & Nobles as one entity). And Amazon has a strong presence, with its own ".ca" store, and next day delivery of a Kindle2 at $189 + shipping.

The $149 Kobo and the $189ish Kindle 2 are backed by credible bookstores with easy one click type delivery -- the later right to the device. Sony is rather more problematic since they haven't much of a clue about selling e-books and many titles are presented for sale and then, Lucy-with-the-football, removed when you want to buy something. Astak comes in with a -- there is no other word -- ghastly attempt at a bookstore. Yes, I can buy a Rex Stout title at 50¢ less than Amazon ... but it's much, much too little and much, much too late. (Try Agatha Christie: nothing.)

Currently, I am being asked to pay $100 more for the Astak than the Kindle 2 and sacrifice the confidence in a major player like Amazon; lose the impressive Amazon bookstore; and hope Astak will offer some sort of firmware which will keep me happy. If compared to the Kobo, I am being asked to pay $140 more ... hey! with shipping, well over twice the price. The Kobo is not feature-rich, but it's a very nice, handsome looking unit, that delivers ePub and library books simply.

Sony has been selling e-readers in Canada for two or three years; Amazon, with a deep presence in Canada, has been selling Kindles for eight months; Barnes & Noble can't be arsed to ship a Nook north of Buffalo; and Astak, in its marketing wisdom, has positioned itself at close to DOUBLE the price of its (much, much better known) competitors.

Yes, I'd like to like Astak. But there is no value for a Canadian buyer.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 06-24-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: clarity
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #71
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
hate to say it, but astak may be cooked.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #72
Robertb

Smile Why not buy from www.astak.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I would really like to like Astak and its products. I keep coming back to this forum, and check out the Astak websites, and the ezread ebook store. Plus, Robert is a honey and don't you just wanna give him a great big group hug?

The reality is in the execution: a product / business evangelist eventually needs to be backed by his team. Sooner is better than later; later may be too late.

I will only speak of Canada. Finally, this winter, Astak is available (in theory, not necessarily on the shelves) at the largest electronic big box store. The problem: the price for the Mentor is $289 vs. $199 for the Sony 300 series and $249 for Sony 600 series and $159 for the Aluratek. Slightly savvy e-reader buyers can cross the mall and buy a Kobo at $149 from Chapters/Indigo, the national book store (think of Borders/Barnes & Nobles as one entity). And Amazon has a strong presence, with its own ".ca" store, and next day delivery of a Kindle2 at $189 + shipping.

The $149 Kobo and the $189ish Kindle 2 are backed by credible bookstores with easy one click type delivery -- the later right to the device. Sony is rather more problematic since they haven't much of a clue about selling e-books and many titles are presented for sale and then, Lucy-with-the-football, removed when you want to buy something. Astak comes in with a -- there is no other word -- ghastly attempt at a bookstore. Yes, I can buy a Rex Stout title at 50¢ less than Amazon ... but it's much, much too little and much, much too late. (Try Agatha Christie: nothing.)

Currently, I am being asked to pay $100 more for the Astak than the Kindle 2 and sacrifice the confidence in a major player like Amazon; lose the impressive Amazon bookstore; and hope Astak will offer some sort of firmware which will keep me happy. If compared to the Kobo, I am being asked to pay $140 more ... hey! with shipping, well over twice the price. The Kobo is not feature-rich, but it's a very nice, handsome looking unit, that delivers ePub and library books simply.

Sony has been selling e-readers in Canada for two or three years; Amazon, with a deep presence in Canada, has been selling Kindles for eight months; Barnes & Noble can't be arsed to ship a Nook north of Buffalo; and Astak, in its marketing wisdom, has positioned itself at close to DOUBLE the price of its (much, much better known) competitors.

Yes, I'd like to like Astak. But there is no value for a Canadian buyer.
Dear Sensual:

I could use a group hug about now. I have been so scared lately. But, I think I am regaining composure and feeling better.

We do want your business. I AGREE totally that the prices thru the Canada stores are HARD. Our distributor sets the price to the store and then the store marks up.

You can beat this by ordering through our International Site: www.astak.com

I am trying to bring the price down on the International site for the Mentor to $199 but need to get approval. Will get back!!

www.astak.com now has the sale on for the 6 inch EZ Reader and a FREE 2GB card and 500 classics and a FREE download of The Girl with the Dragon Taatoo Bestseller all for $195! That sale ends July 5, 2010!!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #73
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
I disagree. If you look at this 'price war' for lack of a better phrase it is between Amazon and B&N, with Sony playing a distant third. All other ereader companies are doing business as usual. If those three players are selling their readers at a loss this pricing will only be short term as it wont be able to be sustained in the long term.

Where the strength in Astak is in my opinion is; personalised support, quality product and an obvious desire to sell a product that consumers want. To me that is worth the extra money. The freedom to buy my books from where I want, the freedom to structure my books the way I want, the freedom to install updates if and when I want. You can't put a price on that. I strongly believe buying from Astak you get freedom, buying from one of the big players and you get locked into their will and ways.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #74
Robertb

Water only getting tepid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
Dear Oncdoc:

We cannot sell at a loss and keep the doors open. Amazon and B&N CAN sell at $1 and still stay in business. Pricewise, the water is getting tepid.

We are NOT cooked and will continue to offer present models and new models. We will have the best product... but it will cost a bit more. I do not like it... but it will all come down to value and there the others are in hot water!

Never give up! Never surrender!!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #75
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:

Never give up! Never surrender!!
Jason, we are actors, not astronauts!

Those must be the miners! Yeah, they're like, two years old. Miners, NOT minors! You lost me.

Why does it always have to be ducts?

Whoever wrote this episode should DIE!

I LOVE that movie! I could quote lines all day long...

Last edited by Davimee; 06-24-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: too much fun... gotta keep quoting! :)
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote