Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
Sharing BoB Account??

Does anyone know if I can share the Books purchased on Books on Board .... i.e. can other family members download the books I have purchased?

For my Sony Account, I can have up to 6 devices, which my daughter and husband use. I am hoping Books on Board works the same way, but I cannot find any information on their site referencing that information.

Thanks in advance!
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I would say it's ok, although I don't know if it's illegal. But with pBooks, it would be ridiculous to buy the same book for each household family member. That usually doesn't happen, why should it be so with ebooks?

I say, if they allow to register various ereaders, it's not their business if those ereaders are from different people.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Sharing is entirely based on the DRM scheme, and is essentially the same no matter where the ebooks are bought.

For Secure Adobe (PDF and ePub), the DRM is keyed to a single Adobe ID. You can register up to 6 devices per Adobe ID. If you have Sony Readers, then this applies to them too (all Sony's registered to the same Adobe ID can read the ebooks).

For MOBI the DRM is keyed to up to 4 devices, which are listed on your account. It is perfectly ok to include other peoples devices.

For LIT, the DRM is keyed to a MS account (I think). Probably 95% or more of LIT downloads have their DRM stripped immediately and are then format shifted to some other format. So its audience is format shifters rather than Secure ebook sharers.

For eReader there is no device limit, but the key is your credit card number.

Note that an advantage of Adobe and MOBI in particular is that you and your family members can each have your own BoB account and just use the same DRM identifiers (list each other's devices, or register the same ID).

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-10-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Adobe has 6 device limit
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I suspected as much. I just enjoy having more than 1 place to obtain books.

Thanks again.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
For MOBI the DRM is keyed to up to 4 devices, which are listed on your account. It is perfectly ok to include other peoples devices.
I always wondered this. Can one Mobi PID be registered to more than one person at a specific eBook store? or at all, since it seems that there is some interaction with the Mobipocket DRM server when you enter a new PID at fictionwise.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Can one Mobi PID be registered to more than one person at a specific eBook store?
I have never tried it, but I think so. The closest I have found to an explicit statement from MobiPocket is Can my wife use my paid e-books also on her PDA?.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I always wondered this. Can one Mobi PID be registered to more than one person at a specific eBook store? or at all, since it seems that there is some interaction with the Mobipocket DRM server when you enter a new PID at fictionwise.

BOb
I had to read this question twice to get you meaning (early in the morning). Maybe we can add SONY and Amazon to that queue as well.

But if daisy-chaining was allowed I wonder how many links we'd go through before "Kevin Bacon" would be able to borrow one of my books from my library.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
The other option is for family members to all buy separate books and swap devices so that all can share the books inexactly the same manner as swapping a pbook.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote