Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I've encountered apps that I really want that aren't compatible with my Galaxy Player 4.0 - like Costco and Grace Digital Remote Control. Most frustrating.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That seems to be the current Apple centric propaganda spiel, but as the owner of multiple Android devices from simple cheap devices to a more recent Asus Transformer that seems to be all it is. Propaganda.
The Apple propaganda may be somewhat true with respect to games, but I don't know of any specific instances. It certainly does not seem to be true as regards to multimedia or productivity apps, as long as the Android device is running Android 2 or better. Prior to that, Android was not really a prime time player in any regard anyway IMHO.
^This, I have yet to find an app that won't work properly on my devices (from 3.7" G1 running CM7 up to 10" tablets running ICS). The fragmentation issue is being thrown around as a big negative of Android and, though it implies some more work for developers, it's not the issue some pretend it to be.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
^This, I have yet to find an app that won't work properly on my devices (from 3.7" G1 running CM7 up to 10" tablets running ICS). The fragmentation issue is being thrown around as a big negative of Android and, though it implies some more work for developers, it's not the issue some pretend it to be.
It's an issue for me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #19
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's an issue for me.
A monkey issue?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #20
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
A monkey issue?
I saw that line "a monkey issue" and a dread filled my heart but then I found that it referred to our friend tubemonkey and again my heart was tranquil.

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
This is very true for some reason one of the greatest advantages Android has always seems to get swept under the rug. I have free apps(Evernote, Netflix, etc..) and even purchased apps like RegliGo. I can use that same app across multiple devices like my phone, tablet, and Google TV and they work great. I don't have to purchase multiple copies one app works for all devices.

=X=
That's true with Apple too, X. You buy an app once and can use it on any device registered to the same iTunes account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #22
Nick Johnson
Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: googgle ads
Android is making its way in the market very rapidly...... People are liking and it and switchin og android from different OS.... This is a good news for android....
Nick Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #23
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's true with Apple too, X. You buy an app once and can use it on any device registered to the same iTunes account.
Okay good to know. I was aware that you can run iPhone apps in the iPad, but it had to be in compatibility mode.

What I don't understand is why there is usually two apps with the same title except one as 'HD'. I had always assumed one way or in one the other for tablets. So if you buy an iPad 'HD' app it should work on the iphone/iTouch?
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay good to know. I was aware that you can run iPhone apps in the iPad, but it had to be in compatibility mode.

What I don't understand is why there is usually two apps with the same title except one as 'HD'. I had always assumed one way or in one the other for tablets. So if you buy an iPad 'HD' app it should work on the iphone/iTouch?
"HD" versions of apps are, as you rightly say, optimized for use on the iPad rather than the iPhone. But many apps will detect which platform they're running on, and dynamically reconfigure their layout accordingly. It's really just a marketing gimmick to sell two versions of an app; there's certainly no technical reason for it.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #25
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
It's really just a marketing gimmick to sell two versions of an app; there's certainly no technical reason for it.
Indeed it is. And usually the HD version is priced higher than the standard version.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Indeed it is. And usually the HD version is priced higher than the standard version.
Does nobody do that for Android, as a matter of interest? Sell different phone and tablet versions of an app, I mean.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #27
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Does nobody do that for Android, as a matter of interest? Sell different phone and tablet versions of an app, I mean.
I've seen a few apps that are advertised as "tablet" specific. But, not too many.

The only one that readily comes to mind is MODO player (since I use the crap out of it).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cal.modo&hl=en - Modo Player

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...o.tablet&hl=en - Modo for Tablet.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #28
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Honestly, I can't tell you, none of my apps have the split, but I wouldn't put it past some companies to try to score twice by having an SD and HD app. I don't know the inner works of iOS, but on Android there are plenty of tools the OS gives you to manage multiple screen resolutions and densities so your layout displays properly regardless of the device in use, so it would not be justified to have the split.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #29
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Actually lots of apps don't do that, they have both iPhone and iPad versions in one app, it is just that the ones that do are more obvious I think it is most common with games.
In iTunes, or on the iTunes website, any app with a little + (plus) icon supports both iPhone and iPad layouts in the one app.

Edit: Bluefire shows an example of the plus icon. The screenshot section shows both iPhone and iPad screenshots.

Last edited by murraypaul; 07-13-2012 at 06:34 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
I just love the competition in Android phones. The prices of smartphones have dropped drastically in the last few years. I can see cheap Android phones selling for less than US$50 contract-free within a few years. That's all good news for budget conscious consumers like me.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote