Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Pandigital Novel - white

A few months ago I bought one of these at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $160 - $30 dicount = $130 - $30 coupon = final price $100. Had it for a while before it got stollen and I was less then impressed by the reader, here are my impressions of the reader:

Pros:

Excellent ergronmics
Wi-fi
Quick to acces the novels
Dictionary
Can take notes in the margins

Cons

Slow to boot
Needs to be reset frequently

My impressions are that if one is so inclinded to buy this reader you are better off with another better known brand of touch screen read. The pandigital novel is not quite up to the task.

Last edited by jbcohen; 11-08-2010 at 02:42 PM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
movieking
movieking began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
The reviews of this device were pretty bad at the beginning, but after a software update, many people said that it worked much better. This definitely looks like the type of thing that my wife would like for Christmas, but the reviews still scare me.

Has anyone used this lately after the software update?
movieking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Mine was stollen before I could upgrade the firmware so my assesment does not reflect the upgrade.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
xhale
xhale began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have had mine for several months now and really enjoy it. I have used both the PDN firmware and third-party.
xhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
FWIW, the white one has been hacked to be a weak but more general Android tablet. Google if you're interested in that.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
givitup2E
givitup2E began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
I have a black one. Seems like a decent enough device. Two things I am not liking about atm are the fact that Calibre doesn't make the thumbs when you import your library and I wish they had a better manager for your bookshelves. Is just fine if you have a few books, but when you have alot, its kinda clunky. Been searching for an app for that. So that may go away soon. I am guessing with the increasing popularity of the pandigital, Calibre will update it to support it 100% also.
givitup2E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I have a pandigital white and run the open platform android on it. I find it to be as good if not superior to some of the other android tablets.

The biggest drawback is that it does not have android market so you have to pick up software from other sites which is no big deal.

There are several other modified operating systems that work well from all reports. You can see them at slatedroid.com.

The open platform android is available on pandigital's site.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
airbus911
airbus911 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital
Just picked up a Novel 7 and it has been bug free so far. I do agree that the book management software could be better.. Overall thought it has been a pretty good reader.
airbus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #9
spaldingclan
spaldingclan began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
I use the Kobo reader on my PDN
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Eread Bill
Eread Bill began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital novel 7
I bought mine @ Kohls, no time limit return (save box and Receipt).
Had the 1st one for about 4 months, and it started needing a hard reset
multiple times daily. Returned it no problem. Bought another. $179 and
30% coupon and $15 rebate, total $110.
Both white. After talking to PD support, I upgarded the internal Micro SD
to 8g and it runs great. Takes a little longer to boot with all the memory.
No need for hard reset in 5 months. I have not hacked it yet, but will when
the real Market is available. I like it a lot and recommend it.
Eread Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
You may wait a long time as pandigital has said that they will not have market. Their latest firmware does have slideme market if that interests you.

Wait a few days as there are several new firmwares on their download site today but nothing about them as yet on their page. I would guess that they will update their page soon.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Custom firmwares based on the stock firmware, open platform firmware, OR the hackish froyo variant can all get you access to a decent amount of apps from the Google market, the "real" one.

I had heard the other week that they're supposedly on clearance(or were) at Kohls for $60 which is a relative steal. Unfortunately my nearby Kohls didn't have any, but as of the other week BBB had $30 mailin rebate, plus I had a 20% off coupon and $5 coupon so I decided to pick another one up for a little more(v. $60). I got lucky, and got the v2 hardware this time which is distinguished by the lack of stutter every 5s in video playback in firmware released after/including the 07/24 stock firmware update(also affects custom firmware based on any of those).
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote