Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Heard back from Tor on why Topaz for some books...

A couple days ago I emailed Tor with some questions about Topaz and why they use it for some of their books. Today I got a reply from Pablo Defendini the producer for Tor.com. Since this has been discussed in a few threads I thought I'd share his message.
Quote:
I'm Pablo, the producer for Tor.com. I'm also charged with eBooks on Tor.com and am involved in the larger eBook strategy for Macmillan.

Unfortunately, there isn't too much we can do about Topaz books. I hate 'em too—they're a pain to parse on the Kindle, and will sometimes crash the device—but there's just some books that we don't have electronic files for, and the only way we can get them on to the Kindle at all in a speedy fashion is via Topaz files created from OCR'ed PDFs.

Going forward, we're obviously converting new books into AZW format directly, and hopefully we'd like to be able to rectify backlist titles at some point in the future. However, right now, our priority is our more recent books, as you can imagine. In the meantime, the people who actually handle these conversions is Amazon themselves. You might want to drop them a line and register your displeasure with the Topaz format. As I understand it, you wouldn't be the only one, and the more people they hear from, the more responsive they'll be, hopefully.

As to the store rumours: well, they're just that, and I can't talk about that for now. But I will be able to start talking soon, so stay tuned.

Cheers,

[p]

Pablo Defendini
Producer
Tor.com
So all of you who are hating Topaz, be sure to let Amazon know.

When I replied to him that one of the books I specifically mentioned in my email, Kushiel's Dart, had been a Webscriptions book so they should have a good copy of that, he replied...
Quote:
You'd be very surprised as to the state and consistency of digital archiving at a lot of major publishers, is all I'll say about Kushiel's Dart...

Hope this info helps or was able to answer questions for some of you.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
But I will be able to start talking soon, so stay tuned.
"soon"... hmm, where did I hear that word before?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
"soon"... hmm, where did I hear that word before?
From Tor, probably eariler this year, last year and the year before.

I did read something on Baen's Bar about someone at Tor saying things were almost ready. Who knows.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
I suppose it's too soon to wish for the Wheel of Time (with the final book) to be released huh?
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
This surprises me WRT the new Juliet Marillier series available only in Topaz -- The Dark Mirror and sequels. The first one was released in 2004, so you'd think a digital copy would be available. It doesn't help that the map is illegible (my pet peeve) and that there's a huge misplaced comma on the second page of the sample.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
The first one was released in 2004, so you'd think a digital copy would be available.
As crazy as it sounds, most publishers have only recently (last year or two) keeping a copy in digital format.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
If they have to OCR it, why not just OCR it to text rather than PDF? What, does the OCR software construct it's own font based off letterforms and store them in a PDF which is why it has to be converted to Topaz? I'm afraid I don't follow the reasoning that OCR means PDF means TPZ.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
If they have to OCR it, why not just OCR it to text rather than PDF? What, does the OCR software construct it's own font based off letterforms and store them in a PDF which is why it has to be converted to Topaz? I'm afraid I don't follow the reasoning that OCR means PDF means TPZ.
I think they meant "PDF->OCR->Topas". As i understand it Topaz avoid the actual character recognition by using the scanned image of letters. They then just have to do a categorization and do not have to map the categories to actual letters.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
When I replied to him that one of the books I specifically mentioned in my email, Kushiel's Dart, had been a Webscriptions book so they should have a good copy of that, he replied...
If you're looking for Kushiel's Dart it's available as a free online book here. I c&p'ed it into Word, saved it as an html file and then added it to Calibre to convert to mobi and my copy ended up quite readable.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
If you're looking for Kushiel's Dart it's available as a free online book here. I c&p'ed it into Word, saved it as an html file and then added it to Calibre to convert to mobi and my copy ended up quite readable.
Unless I'm just not seeing it that only goes to chapter 24 of 96 chapters.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
I suppose it's too soon to wish for the Wheel of Time (with the final book) to be released huh?
On the TOR website, they've been having "read-through" discussions of the Wheel of Time books. I posted a message complaining that the first books in the series were not available in any electronic version so I couldn't read them on the Kindle or Sony and thus participate in the discussions. And, I tried to point out that if I bought electronic books, they and the copyright holder would get paid, but if I found a used paperback, they'd get nothing at all.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think they meant "PDF->OCR->Topas". As i understand it Topaz avoid the actual character recognition by using the scanned image of letters. They then just have to do a categorization and do not have to map the categories to actual letters.
But I thought Topaz books were searchable. So they have to be actual character sets, custom fonts or not; not just images.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I agree with @sirbruce. I don't understand that. If they are doing OCR then the document is converted to text. That text could be made into a mobipocket format.

I just guess that he doesn't understand the process fully.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Aren't older versions of Webscriptions still available? It doesn't make much sense to me that they can't get the text for Kushiel's Dart that way. Unless only an excerpt was ever published in Webscriptions, but that's not normally how that publication works, is it?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Aren't older versions of Webscriptions still available? It doesn't make much sense to me that they can't get the text for Kushiel's Dart that way. Unless only an excerpt was ever published in Webscriptions, but that's not normally how that publication works, is it?
It makes not sense. Especially if the web scription files are in formats that they easily can extract the text from (html).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote