Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 05:02 AM   #1
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: iPad
search books into iBooks with metadata?

I keep my epubs into iBooks on both iPhone and iPad. I do not like to use collections, I just prefer to keep all of them into the same «books» basic collection.

I would have liked to search books (I mean: search books, not inside a book, the outer search you perform when you do not have a book open for reading and you have to look for a book or some) per metadata, tipically the DC:SUBJECT one, which are the tags of the book.

But to my dismay if I insert a tag metadata into an epub, iBooks does not seem to search amongst them.

Is that correct? If it is I wonder where the outer search look for, just the book's title and author?

As a workaround, I could insert tags into the book's title, but then when I, say, have to add a new tag for a book, I am going to lose my highlighting and notes, for iBooks refer every user generated note to the books't title (or at least that's what I understood so far).

Any better workaround, idea?

Thank you.

–
cordialmente,

[Promotion deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 11:08 AM.
tsolignani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

iBooks is just a lame e-reader, Tiziano. iBooks cannot do many, many things that should be obvious for quality e-reader software -- not only this thing you're looking for. It just can't be done in iBooks for now, and I doubt it will be possible anytime soon, given Apple's snail's-pace in improving the app -- if it's being improved at all. (Haven't noticed many iBooks updates recently.)

Just use better e-reader software, and what you're looking for will work like a charm. Here is Marvin, www.marvinapp.com , http://www.marvinapp.com/whatsnew.html

As you can see from the screenshots, Marvin includes a metadata editor, so you can both adjust your Subjects/Tags in Marvin, and search your Library for specific Subjects.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Absolutely, iBooks is total lame thing. I stuck with it for I had no alternative. I need a reader where a) I can add notes, highlights and so on b) those notes etc get synced across devices c) I can use on the iPhone as well.

Does Marvin do all those things?

I saw it's for the iPad.

I am trying it all the same, it looks very smart.

Any other reader for what I need to do?

Thank you.

–
cordialmente,

Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
I think your only choices for now are iBooks and Kindle -- and both are lame. There'll be an iPhone version of Marvin later in 2013, which will also use iCloud for syncing the way iBooks does. For now, Marvin allows the manual, one-tap export/import/restore/merge/sharing of annotations -- something that neither iBooks, nor Kindle can do.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:20 AM   #5
tsolignani
Zealot

I installed Marvin and it got me, it is really the best reader by far. I send a couple of mail to the developer with some humble suggestions of mine. I guess I am going to use it on the iPad and keep annotations and such until the iPhone version comes out. Thanks again, you introduced me to a really nice crafted piece of software. To hell with both iBooks and Kindle! Have a nice day.

–
cordialmente,

Advert

Tags
ibooks, metadata, notes, search