Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Aside from that, are there any disadvantages to the Nook SimpleTouch? Do they sequester memory like they do on the tablets, to decrease available memory for side-loaded content? (almost all my content is side-loaded - Alf is my friend). anything else I should be wary of?
The Nook does limit the amount of space you can use on it for side-loaded content, but the good news is it has a micro SD card slot. I don't use any of the space on the device for side-loaded content, everything just goes on my SD card.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I don't think there is a lighted cover for the T1 but I could be wrong.
There is an 'official' lighted cover for the Sony (PRSA-CL10). There is also at least one 3rd party offering. I don't own either of them, though, as I prefer a clip-on.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Anyone who is saying that one e-reader is superior to another is using a subjective measure. They all have the same scree. All the Touches are using the same infrared touch pad technology. They tend to have the same basic features.

I get that people have strong preferences, I love my Kindle, but I do not think that my Kindle is superior to the T1 or the Nook. I like the ease of using the Kindle, I love the bookstore and the ease of getting books to my Kindle, and I love Kindle Customer Service. I love that my Mother bought me a book as a gift using her Kindle and then returned it when she remembered that we shared a Kindle account and I pay for all of her books. (in essence, I was paying for my gift). There was no hassle for her to do so, she did it from her device, that is great customer service.

That said, the T1 is suppose to be dandy. It lacks some features that the Kindle (test to speech) has but the Kindle lacks some of the features the T1 has (collections are easier on the T1). The Nook has many a fan but it has segregated memory, which is flat out stupid and should not exist even with a workaround, and lacks speakers so you cannot use it for audio books.

I get that Nook and Sony lovers are very protective and love to sell their e-readers. Many even feel as if they have to because they fear Amazon domination. But any of the three major brands will work well for just about every e-reader user out there. One might feel better to someone but that is subjective.

The Kobo still seems to have some bugs and still seems to not have quite the same package of basic features as the Kindle, Nook, and Sony but is still well liked.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #19
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Last night, I tried reading in bed after my husband turned out his lights, using my k3 lighted cover. It was easy to read by, but definitely too bright for my husband to comfortably go to sleep. Apparently the Glow solves this problem, which is the only reason it's attractive to me. but from what I've been reading on the Nook forum here, it might be wisest to wait til a second gen comes out.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #20
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
The lighted Kindle cover is too bright for the other occupants of my bed, too. But then I gave the Kindle with that cover on it to my daughter, now she doesn't complain about it!

The m-edge Eluminator that I just got is really nice, has several brightness levels and not too harsh.

Profcrash wrote:
I like the ease of using the Kindle, I love the bookstore and the ease of getting books to my Kindle, and I love Kindle Customer Service.

I agree, those 4 things are superior to the other companies. Now if Amazon would improve the Kindle with the best features from the other 2 (Sony T-1 & NookGL), they would have a clear winner in my mind! Just compare the look of the home screen between the three. The Kindle's is ugly.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use the homescreen to pick a book and that is it. It is not an important feature for me. But that is me. I would love to have the T1's collection set up though. And I want page turn buttons and not just the touch screen. The finger prints on my IPad are driving me nuts.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #22
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I like the kindle's list for the home-screen. I don't like "bookshelves" or cover icons.. they take up too much space. Just give me a list of my collections and books, please.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I could care less about book covers. I am actually marginally annoyed that my Kindle App on IPad displays book covers. I enjoy reading the occassional book with bondage and those covers are not necessarily ones I want people who are checking out my library to see. Call me silly but there is a reason I did not buy too many of those books before an e-reader.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #24
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Bear with me girls, I am just back from a "very happy hour" (obviously ), so there it goes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Anyone who is saying that one e-reader is superior to another is using a subjective measure. They all have the same scree. All the Touches are using the same infrared touch pad technology. They tend to have the same basic features......

I get that Nook and Sony lovers are very protective and love to sell their e-readers. Many even feel as if they have to because they fear Amazon domination. But any of the three major brands will work well for just about every e-reader user out there. One might feel better to someone but that is subjective.
Amen to that Prof ! Why does it always have to end up in a "mine is bigger than yours" discussion ?

Quote:
....but from what I've been reading on the Nook forum here, it might be wisest to wait til a second gen comes out.
I think that is quite wise right now. Sony or Amazon will probably bring their versions of the GL, so it'll be interesting to follow, and some corrections (product- or/and pricewise) will certainly ensue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The lighted Kindle cover is too bright for the other occupants of my bed, too.
This thread is getting interesting by the minute....

Quote:
.....And I want page turn buttons and not just the touch screen....
Not only that, but where those buttons are placed is also a killer imho. I love my T1, but have been back to reading on my K4NT a lot lately because the handling of it is easier for me.

Quote:
.... I enjoy reading the occassional book with bondage and those covers are not necessarily ones I want people who are checking out my library to see. Call me silly but there is a reason I did not buy too many of those books before an e-reader.
... Prof... I am shocked....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #25
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Do the Nooks still classify side-loaded items as "documents" rather than books? because that would be a killer for me.
It depends on whether you put them into the Books folder or the Documents folder. I have all of mine in Books, and they intermingle nicely with my B&N purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
No configuration for tapping to turn page?
What do you mean by "configuration" for it? Tap-to-turn has worked since the original STR first came out. Are you wanting to make the left side go forward, or something?
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
It depends on whether you put them into the Books folder or the Documents folder. I have all of mine in Books, and they intermingle nicely with my B&N purchases.

What do you mean by "configuration" for it? Tap-to-turn has worked since the original STR first came out. Are you wanting to make the left side go forward, or something?
yes (to the bolded part).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #27
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
This thread is getting interesting by the minute....
Not to burst your bubble, but my 2 daughters usually sleep with me, they are 6 and 9.

As for bondage books I read books with covers like that, too, which is why I did not get a Fire for my kids, I got them the Nook Color so they can't get to my archives.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I use the homescreen to pick a book and that is it. It is not an important feature for me. But that is me. I would love to have the T1's collection set up though. And I want page turn buttons and not just the touch screen.
That's one of the reasons I got a T1 instead of a Kindle Touch when I decided to get a new ereader last monght. I wanted page turn and other buttons.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #29
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I could careless if people see the title, most could be anything, the pictures tend to involve rope and handcuffs. (shrugs)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #30
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I could careless if people see the title, most could be anything, the pictures tend to involve rope and handcuffs. (shrugs)
And some involve skimpy leather thongs and a lot of lady-flesh, apparently. There was a free offering mentioned here this week that I grabbed. It's the first ebook of that sort I'd ever gotten, and, I'm still not used to having full color covers automatically appear on my Fire's carousel, so the first time I turned the Fire on later that day, my two immediate reactions were "Whoa! How did that get there!?" and "Wow, I'm glad we got my son his own Amazon account."

Anyway, back on topic: I don't think the Nook STR has any objectively better tech. The enhanced page refresh technology it uses doesn't impress me, and the refresh on my K3 has never bothered me in the least, and for my needs, the other features on the K3 blow the STR away (YMMV, of course.)

However, I think the ergonomics of the STR are excellent, I love the buttons, and the shape and weight of it.

I like the idea of the new glow features, but if it's true that it reduces the contrast or otherwise negatively affects the text appearance, that's the end of it for me.

As for library books, if you choose to, it's very easy to get the epub library books onto a Kindle. If you already use Calibre to manage your books, you're halfway there.

Given the choice of library book available in both formats, I tend to pick the ePub still.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote