Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #31
tylau0
Connoisseur
tylau0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kovid, I have a problem running your inspect-mobi part of your source code on my Ubuntu 11.04 machine. Would you check the following error message?

Spoiler:

> calibre-debug --inspect-mobi tnyt.azw
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/calibre-debug", line 19, in <module>
sys.exit(main())
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/debug.py", line 236, in main
inspect_mobi(opts.inspect_mobi)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/mobi/debug.py", line 1184, in inspect_mobi
f = MOBIFile(stream)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/mobi/debug.py", line 1117, in __init__
self.mobi_header.huffman_record_count)]
AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'raw'

I check line 1117 of the corresponding source code as follows:
Spoiler:

huffrecs = [r.raw for r in
xrange(self.mobi_header.huffman_record_offset,
self.mobi_header.huffman_record_offset +
self.mobi_header.huffman_record_count)]

Thanks.
tylau0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #32
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
tylau0: Update your calibre source code, that bug was fixed yesterday.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #33
tylau0
Connoisseur
tylau0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Indeed I used the source code at http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/src downloaded today morning. Could you double check if the updated version has been uploaded? Or should I check an alternative site?

Thanks again.
tylau0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #34
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use

bzr branch lp:calibre

The tarball is the source code corresponding to 0.8.12
Old 07-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #35
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickredding View Post
calibre-debug crashes (latest release) when I run it on MOBI's (error "unknown tag: 69 for entry type: periodical" line 572 in debug.py).
Kovid--It still crashes and I checked that I'm running from latest source (I bzr'd it yesterday afternoon). The problem arises with MOBI files generated by Kindlegen 1.1, processing the first NCX entry (type periodical).

Two interesting things here: the TAGX entries being generated by Kindlegen 1.1 obviously don't conform to what the debug code is expecting, and (responding to your other comments) Kindlegen 1.1 never generates secondary index data.

You've got a lot further than I (or GRiker) did understanding the MOBI format, but I'm still scratching my head over the fact that Kindlegen 1.1 output works and is missing DATP and secondary index records, and also appears to use a TAGX block which is invariant (the latter is also true of Amazon-generated periodicals). My approach (failed so far) has been to try to get the MOBI output to look like it came from Kindlegen 1.1, and the last hurdle I faced was the TBS records which I couldn't replicate because of the apparently arbitrary byte sequences. If you have decoded these then maybe I can get it to work.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #36
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Can you post a file that causes it to crash, should be easy for me to add support for its tag structure. And note that I've been committing changes to inspect mobi up until a few hours ago. The last revision is 10040
Old 07-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #37
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

I'll bzr the whole lot and try again--debug crashed on all mobi files (including calibre-generated) so yesterday's bzr must be out of date.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #38
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net

Kovid - I dowlnloaded 10042 and this is what I get from the Kindlegen 1.1 generated file (using my method ebook-convert --> OEB --> Kindlegen) that is attached.
Code:
C:\Users\Nick\Calibre-Kindle\News-Files>calibre-debug --inspect-mobi nyt.mobi
Python function terminated unexpectedly
  Dont know how to interpret flag 0b0010 while reading section transitions (Error Code: 1)
  File "site.py", line 132, in main
  File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
  File "C:\Users\Nick\calibre\src\calibre\debug.py", line 236, in main
  File "C:\Users\Nick\calibre\src\calibre\ebooks\mobi\debug.py", line 1466, in inspect_mobi
    print(str(f.tbs_indexing), file=out)
  File "C:\Users\Nick\calibre\src\calibre\ebooks\mobi\debug.py", line 1173, in __str__
    ans += self.dump_record(r, dat)[-1]
  File "C:\Users\Nick\calibre\src\calibre\ebooks\mobi\debug.py", line 1224, in dump_record
    dat['geom'][0])
  File "C:\Users\Nick\calibre\src\calibre\ebooks\mobi\debug.py", line 1314, in interpret_periodical
    byts = read_section_transitions(byts, ssi)
  File "C:\Users\Nick\calibre\src\calibre\ebooks\mobi\debug.py", line 1245, in read_section_transitions
    raise ValueError('Dont know how to interpret flag 0b0010'
ValueError: Dont know how to interpret flag 0b0010 while reading section transitions
Everything is OK with MOBI's generated by (standard) Calibre.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi nyt.mobi (337.1 KB, 257 views)
Old 07-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #39
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net

I added the plugin tweak to use your new MOBI writer code and trying to use debug on the resulting file gets me this
Code:
C:\Users\Nick\Calibre-Kindle\News-Files>calibre-debug --inspect-mobi nytcalibre2.mobi
Python function terminated unexpectedly
  'MOBIFile' object has no attribute 'secondary_index_header' (Error Code: 1)
  File "site.py", line 132, in main
  File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
  File "C:\Users\Nick\calibre\src\calibre\debug.py", line 236, in main
  File "C:\Users\Nick\calibre\src\calibre\ebooks\mobi\debug.py", line 1456, in inspect_mobi
    if f.secondary_index_header is not None:
AttributeError: 'MOBIFile' object has no attribute 'secondary_index_header'
Attached Files
File Type: mobi nytcalibre2.mobi (884.0 KB, 263 views)
Old 07-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #40
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah that's an error in reading the TBS, I'll look at it in a moment.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #41
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK, those are really strange TBS bytes. I have no idea what they mean. I've never seen anything like them in amazon generated, calibre or kindlegen 1.2 output. I've committed a change to MOBI inspect to just print the error to stdout and continue, so you should be able to see the rest of the decompiled data.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #42
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Those bytes occur only on records that are spanned (i.e. have no start/end points for periodical/section/article nodes) which means they probably contain information about the spanning node.

I'm not overly keen to decode them, since as I said, they only seem to occur in kindlegen 1.1 output. But all the data you need to decode them is in tbs_indexing.txt so knock yourself out if you feel like it.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Nevermind, looking at the TBS bytes from that document, their structure is completely different from kindlegen 1.2 TBS entries, so you'd have to decode them from scratch, the info you'll need will all be present in the decompiled_nyt/ dir.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #44
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Nevermind, looking at the TBS bytes from that document, their structure is completely different from kindlegen 1.2 TBS entries, so you'd have to decode them from scratch, the info you'll need will all be present in the decompiled_nyt/ dir.
Not true. The TBS bytes generated by Kindlegen 1.1 and 1.2 are identical. I have attached my own parsing of them using a modified version of a python script called mobiunpack (also attached). I don't undertand the output from your debug code. For example, in NYT.MOBI your code seems to say the TBS for the first record are 80 0 80 80 (from tbs_indexing.txt).
Code:
******************** TBS Indexing (27 records) ********************

Record #1: Starts at: 0 Ends at: 4095
	Contains: 3 index entries (0 ends, 0 complete, 3 starts)
TBS bytes: 80 0 80 80
	Starts:
		Index Entry: 0 (Parent index: -1, Depth: 0, Offset: 121, Size: 107660) [Periodical]
		Index Entry: 1 (Parent index: 0, Depth: 1, Offset: 568, Size: 76568) [The Front Page]
		Index Entry: 3 (Parent index: 1, Depth: 2, Offset: 2968, Size: 13248) [Amid New Talks, Some Optimism on Debt Crisis]

TBS: 0 (0000)
Outermost index: 0
Unknown extra start bytes: {}
The section at the start of this record is: 0
First article in this record of section 0 (relative to its parent section): 0 [0 absolute index]
The section 0 has at most one article in this record
My parsing shows 86 80 02 A0 85, as in
Code:
    PACKED HTML Record[  0]  Base =         0h [        0 ]  Size =   7B0h [   1968 ]
**Unpacked HTML Record[  0]  0 - 4099   TBS =  86 80 02 A0 85
       TBS HTML Record       86 80 02 A0 85
Decode TBS HTML Record       Type 6 <first section article, ncx=idx+1>
                             20h(idx=2 flags=0) NCX[3] HTML = 2968 - 16215, parent=1, flags=6, flagdata=0
Attached Files
File Type: txt unpacknyt.txt (12.7 KB, 412 views)
File Type: txt unpacknyt-1-2.txt (12.7 KB, 444 views)
File Type: mobi nyt.mobi (337.1 KB, 278 views)
File Type: mobi nyt-1-2.mobi (697.6 KB, 264 views)
File Type: txt mobiunpack.txt (29.2 KB, 345 views)
Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #45
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's because the extra data flags in your mobi are incorrect. They should be:

0b11 (assuming the only trailing data is multibyte overlap and indexing)

Instead, they are

0b1011

This causes the reading of the trailing data to be incorrect.

Tags
issue fix, kindle, kindlegen, periodical