Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
A Third issue for thoughful debate - proprietary book stores

There are a few book stores that sell their books in proprietary formats and if they do sell them in an industry standard format they make it hard for their customers to make use of the products that they bought from them, such as Amazon, Barns and Nobles and Sony. I would think that they would want to sell to the widest number of customers possible regardless of the reader that the customer chose. So why do they include encryption in their products that will allow their products to be read only by their readers? I would think that this would be contrary to their best interests.

I think that Kobo has the issue right they want to sell and quite frankly could care less what ereader you have, probably would prefer if I had their reader, but are putting more emphasis on where the long term profits are.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
A question that has been asked many times before - Who knows how their minds work - but 'locking' customers into their product/shop seems to be working for them - or else they would not be doing it .

Not all customer will be 'savvy'.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
I don't think of those as ebook stores. I think of them as e-reader stores.

I'd say they're just not interested in competing in that market; they feel they have a large enough "captive" market for the moment. Amazon in particular I suspect are happy with their current market share & rate of growth.
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
But wouldn't be in there best interests to reach the largest possible number of customers possible? I would think that even with my Libra Pro they would still want to sell me ebooks. Being proprietary is limiting the customer base, I would think that Amazon, for example, would preferr to have people with Sony readers, Kobo readers and Libra Pros and what ever else there is out there buying from them? Grab for the entire market.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
So why do they include encryption in their products that will allow their products to be read only by their readers?
Because they want their product to be read only by the purchaser.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
One of the simplest reasons concerns support... if they only provide books for their platform then it's your problem if something goes wrong when you try another platform... proprietary simplifies support, provide a cheat sheet for tier 1 support staff, some training for tier 2 and know your product at tier 3 (if they use this option) but only for one product range...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Sony uses exactly the same DRM scheme as Kobo. Any book bought at Sony can be read on most dedicated devices without stripping or conversion, the notable exception being the Kindle.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
There are a few book stores that sell their books in proprietary formats and if they do sell them in an industry standard format they make it hard for their customers to make use of the products that they bought from them, such as Amazon, Barns and Nobles and Sony. I would think that they would want to sell to the widest number of customers possible regardless of the reader that the customer chose. So why do they include encryption in their products that will allow their products to be read only by their readers? I would think that this would be contrary to their best interests.
ADE books are just as proprietary as Mobipocket books or Amazon books. They can only be read on devices with ADE firmware, and that's absolutely proprietary to Adobe.

Quote:
I think that Kobo has the issue right they want to sell and quite frankly could care less what ereader you have, probably would prefer if I had their reader, but are putting more emphasis on where the long term profits are.
I think you mean that Kobo "couldn't care less", rather than "could care less". "Could care less" doesn't make sense.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
So why do they include encryption in their products that will allow their products to be read only by their readers? I would think that this would be contrary to their best interests.
I think it's because they want to sell their ereaders. It may be changing, but as I understand it the primary source of revenue for those sellers is the hardware, not the ebooks. I read in Bloomberg that the Kindle 3 is sold at 48% profit. That's a fairly respectable margin, and not the sort associated with content-driven devices which are often sold at single digit profit margins or even a loss.

Before I dwell on this further, I read that at some point Amazon was taking a loss on ebooks, at least many of them. They would sell under wholesale to keep prices at a level that made their device more attractive. The article I read was almost a year old. Is this still the case? If not, to what extent has it changed? If anyone knows.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you mean that Kobo "couldn't care less", rather than "could care less". "Could care less" doesn't make sense.
David Mitchell's Soap Box.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...0/language-usa
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
LOL . Thanks, Paul - that's brilliant!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I have said on another thread that I think dedicated ereaders will eventually die and there will only be tablets. This will make the format wars less of a problem: right now, if you have an ipad, you can load the kindle app to read kindle books, and the nook app to read nookbooks. So I think they will all continue with their proprietary formats.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
But wouldn't be in there best interests to reach the largest possible number of customers possible? I would think that even with my Libra Pro they would still want to sell me ebooks. Being proprietary is limiting the customer base, I would think that Amazon, for example, would preferr to have people with Sony readers, Kobo readers and Libra Pros and what ever else there is out there buying from them? Grab for the entire market.
It would cannibalise sales. People with Kindles would buy ebooks from Sony and vice versa. If that happened on a mass scale it would create competition, and competition always drives down prices. If you lock people to a specific device using a specific site to buy ebooks for it, you maximise your profits.

The ultimate desire is to become the dominant device, that way you control the market. If people were free to buy their content from wherever they want, which device you owned would become irrelevant and dominance would become impossible.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
edlauzon
edlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enoughedlauzon will become famous soon enough

Device: kobo
I think that we are starting to move away from a focus on the device to a focus on the library. Once Sony rolls out its apps, all of the big bookstores will have applications which work across multiple devices. Tablet, pc, and mac users can patronize multiple bookstores.

Each of the bookstores is trying to get their hold on the client by making it easier for the client to use the single store across the devices, through having things such as on-line copies which synchronize so that they maintain which page you are at across devices, and making it inconvenient (I'm not saying impossible) to side-load books purchased from other stores.

Clients such as us patrons of these forums find it easy to do such things as maintaining our own libraries using calibre. I expect that for the vast majority of clients, they will stay clients of the first on-line bookstore which grabs them. They simply don't want the inconvenience of having to use different applications to access their libraries.
edlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I thought I'd tell y'all my opinion since I am a Kindle owner and I exclusively buy books from Amazon - save for one download from Gutenburg, which I might continue to do. But that's not BUYING.

The reason why I don't care that I'm locked into the Kindle store when it comes to BUYING books is because I like what the Amazon store has to offer, and the prices that it offers at. Before I got a Kindle, I was already an Amazon customer for everything from books to tea to purses. When I was looking to get an eReader, I already had Amazon on my mind since I already bought almost all of my books from them. I don't know if you've noticed, but when it comes to paperback, you can't beat Amazon in the US. Unless you can find the book used, of course.

I also, though, did a lot of comparing. I made a list in Excel of all the books I was currently thinking of buying at some point in the future. I put the eBook price for every book for three different stores, and Amazon won. For the books I wanted, they had the most of them in eformat and at the lowest price. So... I don't need another store. That's why I don't want one, and that's why it doesn't matter to me. I'm sure there are a lot of other customers who think the same way I do, and that's probably why Amazon is selling ebooks and Kindles so well.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote