Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Suggestions: PDF to What?

Hi there,

I have a PDF document w/o DRM. It's a book that clocks in at 170 pages or so.

I wouldn't mind to be able to do the following with it:

1. Read it in FBReader.
2. Read it in Stanza.
3. Read it in MobiPocket on my Blackberry.

I played around with Calibre earlier on my Ubuntu machine and was able to easily convert to LRF, but that doesn't really get me anywhere. I am happy to do some line editing if necessary.

Cheers,

Mike...

tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You could try importing it into Windows MobiPocket Reader. It will convert simple PDFs to MOBI. The result will end up in your default MOBI directory (usually My Documents\My eBooks).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you can convert it to epub in calibre which will allow you to read it in fbreader, stanza, etc
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
you can convert it to epub in calibre
The resulting ePub can then be imported into Windows MobiPocket Reader to make a MOBI for your BlackBerry. I don't know if Calibre will do a better PDF conversion that MobiPocket, I suggest trying both ways.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I think, though, that any unmodified conversion would result in improperly broken lines, right? At least it did when I viewed Calibre's LRF. I would think, then I'd need to be able to edit the resulting text.

Am I on the wrong track with this thinking?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
depends, both conversion software try to remove unneccessary hard line breaks. How succesful they are varies from file to file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
I think, though, that any unmodified conversion would result in improperly broken lines, right? At least it did when I viewed Calibre's LRF. I would think, then I'd need to be able to edit the resulting text.

Am I on the wrong track with this thinking?
I've used Mobipocket Creator to convert .pdf (originally produced from a Word .doc) to .prc with great success! Any images get separated from the text and the resulting .html has text that has been OCR'ed with great accuracy.

For this output, look in:
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\{your login name}\My Documents\My Publications\
If the original .pdf was produced from a series of images/pictures, then the resulting .html will be just a bunch of images and not be what you want!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
tcv
Addict

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that Calibre had done a bad job. Knowing what I know about PDFs, I was very pleased. I just thought I should be able to edit the text in order to assuage by anal-retentiveness. Sounds like Mobipocket creator will work.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that Calibre had done a bad job. Knowing what I know about PDFs, I was very pleased. I just thought I should be able to edit the text in order to assuage by anal-retentiveness. Sounds like Mobipocket creator will work.
Converting .pdf to "anything" for use with ebook readers is what doesn't work well!

Each conversion tool (Calibre, Mobipocket Creator/Reader, PDFRead (plug), ...) has its strengths and weaknesses and it is wonderful that we have such varied choices to attack the common enemy: Converting .pdf for use on ebook readers!

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-10-2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote