Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #31
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
The kindle app.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #32
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@mXb - could you let me know the link to the FAQ page you followed where it said that Marvin is free? I must have missed updating it. As @griker mentions, the free version displays one book in your library. Otherwise, they're exactly the same.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221062

...and thanks for the explanation of the differences. So the free one is a "lite" version of the full paid for one.

Last edited by mXb; 01-22-2014 at 11:41 AM.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #33
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I just gave up in converting ebooks , you guys know what I mean.

When I use Kindle for iOs I just download or open the book from the original source, which is Amazon and that's it.

Kindle for iOs is mature enough to provide good fonts and basic or simple features like black background and brightness control.

One key feature that I can't compromise is landscape mode on a single page form, not divided in two. This is horrible for technical books. I've found most reading apps out there, including iBooks, divide the screen in two when you're in landscape orientation; that's ok for most books but IT related books.
I agree with you here. I used to convert all my Amazon books to make the fonts darker. That was when I read mostly on a Kindle. Now that I have the iPad mini Retina I find that the text is sharp enough to comfortably read most Amazon books without having to modify them. Occasionally I find a book that was formatted by morons and I have to modify it, but that is another story! I disagree with DaleDe that the Kindle for iOS app is in the dark ages. It isn't as feature rich as Marvin, but it does have a nice set of fonts and enough formatting ability to make it work well with high pixel density LCD tablets. The Kindle for Android app is still in the dark ages though. But I cannot justify giving up Whispersync, real page numbers, X-Ray, etc. just for a few formatting bells and whistles.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #34
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post

...and thanks for the explanation of the differences. So the free one is a "lite" version of the full paid for one.
Exactly true. If you need more books to test simply test with one and then erase it. You can then test a second book. Repeat as necessary until you are convinced to buy the real paid version or until the library becomes empty, whichever comes first .

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #35
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post

The linked Marvin FAQ has been updated to reflect current pricing.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:28 AM   #36
Heim
Zealot
Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yesterday I used my iPhone for reading for the very first time. I used to Kindle app. I love how my progress is synced between my Paperwhite and my iPhone.
I won't be reading a lot on my phone. But it is a nice feature when I don't have my Kindle PW with me.
Heim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #37
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Hands down....Marvin. So many features and the updates to this app just keep getting better.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #38
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Hands down....Marvin. So many features and the updates to this app just keep getting better.
Ditto
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #39
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Marvin as well. In never really thought gestures would be so nice to have in an ereader, but they are very nice to have..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:20 AM   #40
Heim
Zealot
Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Is Marvin similar to Readmill?
Heim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:01 AM   #41
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aer View Post
Is Marvin similar to Readmill?
Don't know never used Readmill BUT Marvin is the best eReader app on any device that I have tried.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #42
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Marvin supports Readmill. Read more at Marvin's website.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #43
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Readmill is more like the Kindle app on steroids. It's as beautiful as Marvin, but it's mainly optimized so you can do a lot of highlighting (because that's what their service caters to, people who want to mark up their books and then have access to those markings, as in what Amazon's Kindle Highlights page would do, except it's better).

It's not the app you'd probably like having your entire library in because you only have a list with no organization options.

There's this new app I've been looking through for the last few minutes. It's called "Weekend Read" and it's mainly for reading screenplays (It's going to make the rounds all over the Apple sites in the next few days probably, I saw it on Daring Fireball). It's not programmed that nicely, you get a lot of refreshes, but it has character highlighting, highlights your search terms throughout the entire document, and will probably get kinks out worked quickly.

The interesting thing is that it tries to optimize PDFs. It has to be just straight forward basic ones with just formatted text though.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #44
Banshay
Banshay began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150, Sony PRS-505, Iphone 4, Ipad 1st Gen
Hmm, first I've heard of Marvin but it sounds like it's getting a lot of love. I began using MegaReader a few years ago when Stanza was sold and have been using it since. Anyone have any experience with both MegaReader and Marvin?
Banshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #45
Banshay
Banshay began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150, Sony PRS-505, Iphone 4, Ipad 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshay View Post
Hmm, first I've heard of Marvin but it sounds like it's getting a lot of love. I began using MegaReader a few years ago when Stanza was sold and have been using it since. Anyone have any experience with both MegaReader and Marvin?
Never mind, I can tell from five minutes with the lite version that I'm switching to Marvin.
Banshay is offline   Reply With Quote